hit location

steph

Re: hit location

I always use hit location for everything except supers. It adds that extra bit of grit that does well in a RPG. Supers on the other hand, feeds on a more general wham bam type of battle. Besides its kinda hard to say a building falling on a hero only hit him on the head :D

HEROIC:

For PCs vs. Signature NPCs I use it in full.

vs. SCABs, all shots are to the chest unless called or placed. Critical hits by SCABs are rolled randomly. Keeps things moving, especially when fighting 10-15 orcs.

SUPERS:

Use 3d6 count the BODY for the STUNx. I also allow called shots (not placed), but only for STUNx not BODYx.

for your fantasy campain do you use hit location table

I am with the use it for non-supers games.

Without the hit location table I would never have had the story of how my hard-bitten detective distracted a demon long enough for his priest companion to dispel it by landing three maximum damage .45 rounds into hit location 13....all randomly rolled as well.

Doc

Champs: Only use it for called shots or low-level "gritty" games.

Fantasy or other: Use it for most attacks except magic. Magical attacks are usually more powerful than other attacks and tend to attack the body as a whole. I do allow called shots in some cases, or when the magic attack simulates a real weapon (enchanted blade, arrow, etc).

We use it for color mostly. If someone gets whacked for a large percentage of their body points, or even a single small wound where the location is imporatnt for some reason, we'll roll the table and just role-play the results. But we don't do all the damage and to-hit mods.

In general, we just ignore it. I dislike the piecemealing of individual bits of armor. It seems completely counter to some major genres of fantasy. LOTR or Conan for instance, where few people where honking big sheets of metal all over their bodies, yet somehow manage to keep hold of most lf their body parts.

Keith "Nine-fingered Frodo a notable plot-driven exception, of course" Curtis

The majority of LotR is spent doing anything they can to avoid combat :)

Completely unlike the average fantasy roleplaying game

"Oooh look, mortal danger, and a chance to be impaled, cut, horribly maimed and contract an infection! Let's go!"

That is not really the impression that I got out of LotR. I got the impression that they would fight the battles that they needed to fight, and not take the uneccessary risks when they could afford not to. This to me, shows that now matter how good the main characters are, that combat involves certain risks. Risks that even they can fall victom to, if they allowed themselves to engage every opponent that they ran into. And, in that it makes it a more realistic depiction IMHO...

I would rather see something like that, than "Look another group of Orcs, let's squash them!" Two days later one little group of 'adventurers' wipes out a whole Orc tribe or some other nonsense like that...

::shudders at the rememberance of old D&D games that did just that::

I am with the use it for non-supers games.

Without the hit location table I would never have had the story of how my hard-bitten detective distracted a demon long enough for his priest companion to dispel it by landing three maximum damage .45 rounds into hit location 13....all randomly rolled as well.

Doc

OK, so it seem to me or the 13 location happen too often in the game?

In spite of statistical rules I Mastered an encoutner between 4 PC and 12 NPC and almost every one has been hitted twice or trice in the 13 location!

The first ten or similar were funny after those quite unpleasant

That's why we removed the random hit location from the majority of fights. It's just not appropriate for our style of games to have a SCRUB take out a Hero in that fashion. The SCRUB can do a called shot if appropriate, but as a random effect I don't like it.

Now a key NPC is a different story. We roll for both the players and the NPC. Then it adds good flavor.

There is a cascade effect to not rolling for most of the bad guys - Armor selection. this feeds into the norm that most people would wear heavier armor just on their chest/vitals and not on their limbs. Heavy armor all over was worn only when battle was assured and immediate, not for traveling, etc. By having most opponents not roll location, it is easier for a player to just put armor on key areas (chest/head).

OK, so it seem to me or the 13 location happen too often in the game?

In spite of statistical rules I Mastered an encoutner between 4 PC and 12 NPC and almost every one has been hitted twice or trice in the 13 location!

The first ten or similar were funny after those quite unpleasant

Use 2d6+1 when you roll hit loc in close combat. In any case vitals can mean kidny or liver or something like that.

You can also make your own hit location tables or use them from other game systems without much problem.

Some even take into account the position of the target (kneeling, crawling etc).

Just work out the surface area, and how much it is moving (ie hands move faster than torso and that should reduce the chance of hitting them)