Party!

nexus

Not so much a what would your character do, but whats DOES your character do, specfically for fun? Most of us seem to put alot of thought into our character fighting style, code name, costume, background but what do they do to relax and burn off stress? Whats the guy under the costume like when he lets his hair down?

Re: Party!

Not so much a what would your character do' date=' but whats DOES your character do, specfically for fun? Most of us seem to put alot of thought into our character fighting style, code name, costume, background but what do they do to relax and burn off stress? Whats the guy under the costume like when he lets his hair down?[/quote']

Assault drinks Scotch and Ground Glass.

Because he can.

My current PC's

Vandal- is a professor of archaeology, however when he's not doing research

he likes hard rock/ heavy metal music, vodka & mountain dew to drink and enjoys spending time with his dnpc fiance

Black Arachnia- Is a typical 17 year old now that she has a home, she like video games, shopping, hanging with her fellow Redwood students.

Zl'f likes to swim, play chess, read classic American novels (she likes Mark Twain and Ernest Hemingway), ski, shop for clothes, and ride her Appaloosa stallion Comanche (She's an expert horsewoman, and over the years has bought Riding and Animal Handler with horses to reflect that skill.)

Spirit Ninja's preferred recreation was hot sex with a good looking man, preferrably a superhero. Barring availability of a male hunk, she wasn't adverse to a pizza.

Ranger was either doing physics research in his lab, tinkering with his armor, or wearing it to fight supervillains. He didn't have time for fun (Think Batman with Iron Man's armor.).

Style - He studies and does research. For him, that is fun. He's also writing a series of books on planar theory, and enjoying the social interaction that comes from arguing the subject with experts. Currently dating a sorceress minor villain: their mutual interest in dimensional magics keeps them together, and they discuss business a little as possible.

Flesh Gordon - Dates, goes to parties, tells absurd stories that make no sense and which he fully believes at the time, politely tries to talk women into, well, whatever he can. He also enjoys using his powers, fighting bad guys and making movies.

Legend - Reads, and has a small DVD collection, mostly classic films. Never watches TV. Sometimes tries to date, but an absolutely honest man is hard to deal with.

Ice Pirate - One of her hobbies is to paint forgeries with slight twists. She also sculpts. For sports she likes skiing.

Calico - Not much for doing stuff off time. Competetive sports where she can try to burn off some of her anger issues.

Scales - He does a lot of reading especially researching history.

Spectrum - Leisure time!? We get that? She tries to spend time with her boyfriend, but it's infrequent.

Still working on some of my supers, trying to fine-tune them:

Lady Silver: too busy. Between leading the world's premier super team, defending Earth against mystic threats, and running charities as Amanda Worthington she doesn't have time. The parties she most often attends are charity events as well. It's a running theme that she focuses too much on others and not nearly enough on herself.

Nova: another one who can't relax. As the last known survivor of her race, she doesn't have anyone of her kind on Earth. This, combined with some psych problems, leads her to spend most of her time crime fighting alot. She relaxes by playing hauntingly sad but beautiful music on her flute. Later, she'll learn to relax and love...

Star Knight (name at the moment): party girl of the first order who hits the hottest clubs in LA, often with a hunk on her arm. Big fan of extreme sports and loves to scuba.

Sentinel: when he gets away from the paper work of being the team liason to the government (as well as its tactical commander), he likes to exercise, read an assortment of books, and see friends.

Titan: tinker in the lab with his latest invention though not adverse to being dragged to a high society event where's he's one of New York's most eligible bachelors, despite his public ID. Also likes charity events.

Speed Demon: making B level movies, hitting the clubs, and self-promotion. Watching action movies.

Earth Force: college student. This African Prince is fond of learning more about America and appreciates cultural events.

That's all for now in their current configuation. Might change them to have at least one normal person in there. ;)

Eve enjoys watching cartoons and playing with her dolls and action figures. She also likes to draw and corrosponds regularly with several other young metahumans.

Valkeyrie reads almost constantly, history, literature of all sorts with a guilty pleasure of torrid romance novels.

Shidoku: Eat, drink and be merry and all that Goes clubbing, dances, has occasional flings and drinks prodigous amounts of alchohol and mild drugs to overcome her hyper immune system for a breif buzz. .

I may have mentioned this once or twice (heh), but I don't play so these are all my NPCs:

Argonaut is a sculptor and spends much time chipping away in the basement.

Jennan spends most of his time obsessing over the evil he has done...and he spends a bit of time in idle research.

Axe spends his offtime in a punk band.

The Silver Sentinel spends his off time by helping out with charities (feeding the poor, coat drives, etc).

The Purple Mouse spends her off time designing fashions.

Brock Lightly spends his spare time drinking beer, bowling and scratching his nether regions.

All of these characters have skills that represent their primary offtime. But they also spend time going to movies, eating pizza rolls (mmmmmm, pizza rolls), going to concerts and the normal average stuff.

Starguard -- actually, one of her character flaws is that she doesn't go out very much. Right now, her main recreation is housework.

Which actually /is/ recreation, for her. In a life so filled with chaos and uncertainty, having her hands on something she can control, and be absolutely sure to get right first time every time, is very soothing. And she cooks.

Pretty soon, though, she's most likely going to rediscover public libraries...

Dr. Pain -- he goes clubbing. He attends social functions. He drinks (in moderation -- granted, "moderation" for a CON 30 brick with over 300 lbs. of beef on his bones is what would be called "alcohol poisoning" in normal people). He has a 60-inch plasma screen at home and the most advanced home theatre equipment. He works out. He watches cartoons.

Not to mention that he *likes* superbrawls... to him, work *is* fun.

Oh, and very occasionally, when he thinks nobody's looking, he picks up a book.

Baron von Darien -- sits at home in his private library and reads the literary classics, while music faintly plays in the background. He also has various social activities suitable to his Secret ID as a multi-millionaire.

Yes, it's stereotypical, but stereotypes happen for a reason. :)

Audra Blue jacks into the internet and runs one of her simulations. Most typically it's the one of when she attended Game 4 of the 2001 World Series when the local MLB team (The Prophets) won the World Series. This was before her agoraphobia kicked in.

Anthem does some sketching and visits museums if she has any free time, but that's rare. She has a rotating series of odd and random jobs (whatever she can get) because she's constantly losing them due to heroics.

Uncle Slam listens to classical music, drinks wine (typically red) and reads a great deal (mostly historical and archealogical books). He'll ocassionally attend a public function, but he's just going through the motions when he does.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Estatua: He needs quiet downtime after his kind of work; I picture him being interested (but not knowledgeable) about all kinds of 'high culture'. As a P. ID superhero he'd probably be able to get the invitations to that kind of thing. He's probably working on dancing too.

Fred/Sludge has tropical fish. He also enjoys football (or will, soon), wrestling, and generally breaking stuff.

Flippant doesn't really do the 'downtime' thing. He's too tightly wound, contrary to appearances. (It takes a lot of effort to be good without appearing to try).

Rook... well, planning ahead (currently not in game - waiting), is a man with a mission. He essentially spends all his time trying to make sure his teammates remain morally pure. Which requires him to study extensively to work out exactly what that means. Since he really doesn't _like_ that, his real 'relaxation time' is (going to be) superfights.

As usual for this sort of thread, I'll use the characters of my SuperSquad America convention team (many of which are former PCs of mine). Note this reflects my opinions of what they would spend their spare time doing. Players in my convention events should feel no need to adhere to this.

Silver Bow really doesn't have much spare time. She is fairly driven both as a superhero and in her secret ID as an investigative reporter. When she gets a chance, she likes to spend some time visiting her parents in the extradimensional world where they live.

Diva was a superpowered celebrity fitness model (and expert) before she became a superhero and when she's not fighting crime, she spends some of her time still living that life: fancy parties, dating the hottest bachelors in town, appearances on talk shows, etc. She also spends a fair amount of time working out.

Challenger spends a fair amount of his non-superhero time running Kennedy Industries, the company he owns. However, he also makes sure to spend time with his wife, Dianne. Their time together is often private quiet time where they simply enjoy each other's company. Of course, this could include anything from snuggling on the couch watching a movie to taking the company jet to Paris for an evening on the town.

Rick Davies the Resilient Rubber-Man is a self-confessed geek. At work, he is a biological researcher, specializing in superhero genetics. For fun, he likes to read comic books and science fiction, watch sf movies and TV, and playing the occasional role-playing game. It helps that his wife, Anita (Swift Kick) is also a sf fan. These days, of course, they both enjoy playing with their son.

Swift Kick (aka Anita Dupuis Davies) is Rick's wife. As mentioned above, she is a sf fan like her husband. She is also a pratical joker and often uses her shape-shifting powers to aid in that area. In the past, she occasionally worked as an actress, but these days being just a mother and superhero often fills up her days.

Fast Track (formerly Whiz Kid) is a Physics researcher at work. For fun, he is often quickly switching between several tasks on his computer (video games, research, programming, or just surfing the web) occasionally taking time out to tinker with his latest invention, all whiile watching TV and listening to music.

Nightingale is just finishing up nursing school and is considering going to medical school. When she's not busy with her studies, she enjoys hanging out with friends and learning all about America and its culture -- all the stuff she missed out on when growing up in a Tibetan temple.

Forethought works as a secretary at Kennedy Industries when she's not superheroing. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies -- both old and new. And of course, now that Crimson Fist is back from the dead, she also enjoys spending time with him.

Crimson Fist is a theatre lighting designer and technician. Now that he is back from the dead, he is trying to appreciate all the little things life has to offer. He enjoys plays, movies, pool, and bowling. However, mainly, he enjoys spending time with Forethought.

Scarecrow: Well, when she isn't trying to be superheroic or doing her homework...quite a bit. She currently gets into the local Goth club using her fake ID, whereupon she enjoys herself (if it can be called that), she likes to paint (PICTURES, not houses), she has an Xbox, which she's currently using to bone up on HALO (HALO 2 is coming soon!), and while she rarely ventures into the wasteland known as the Mall, when she does she often shops for clothes--especially shoes.

Masque: She really enjoys the phenomenon known as the internet. She reads, watches TV, tries new things...what do you want? She's only 4 months old!

Jade: The concept of free time is sort of alien to her, since she's reluctantly taken on the leadership mantle of the team. When she does, she finds that she enjoys going into Chinatown to shop for antiques and sharpen her haggling skills.

Jewel: *Glares at Nexus* "Fun? I don't have fun."

Quasar - He has a family - wife and daughter. Any free time would be spent with them at family functions.

Mystica - Tatiana's a Russian living in Millenium City, so most civil holidays don't mean much to her (Laror Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc.) Heck, even Christmas is out of sync for her (Russian Orthadox celebrate Christmas in January). She has no living family, and most of her friends from her school years are in Europe (secondary school in a bording school in Scotland, got her PhD at L'Institut Thoth. Her research and teaching, as well as her seminars offered to law enforcement agencies on combation mystical threats, keep her very busy. And because she is a public ID hero, her phone NEVER stops ringing. She's not a workaholic, and she's not anti-social and she isn't prone to brood, but it does seem she has left the whole "personal time" thing out of her life. Probibly the only time she would do anything fun is if she were invited by another hero. She has no romantic life whatsoever, despite being young, intelegent and having a 20 COM.

Shadowhunter - He enjoys extreem sports and such, but his DNPC boss doesn't allow much in the way of time off. There's always combat training, or field work, or Skills training. Being a young male he would LOVE a chance at a romantic life, but "The Boss" doesn't like such distractions going on.

I simply have to either get involved in a PBeM or talk one of my players into being a GM for me for a session or two so that I can make a character and participate in these discussions.

Just for giggles though, here are what some of the players in my games have mentioned to me:

Minuteman, brick ex-Actor and more or less Open-Secret/Semi-Public ID, spends a lot of time with his DNPC ("Momma" think a combo of Mrs. Poole and Carrie's Mother, it has a Mrs. Presley vibe to it the way he obsesses over her). He also is trying to get back into the movies, but because he is a known metahuman none of the movies he tries for can get insurance (Plus he literally cannot act, skill 8-, but what is stopping a lot of name actors there eh?) When not doing either he enjoys his celebrity and goes on local talk shows and the like, always protesting "But of course on I'm not really Minuteman" sometimes adding "on the advice of my lawyer" to the beginning or end of that statement.

Whisper has an "Obsession for Crimefighting" disad, so he unfortunately spends a lot of his non-adventuring time combing the city for evildoers and that kind of thing (hoo hum, actually this is one of the aspects of the character that has driven the player to create a new PC for the next session). He rarely mentioned his girlfriend/reporter DNPC so I had a sub-plot where she actually deliberately gets into danger in order for him to rescue (i.e. notice) her. Kind of like Xander from Drawn Together.

Guest bblackmoor

A few of my current favorites....

Avalon (flying speedster): goes to museums and art shows, and speculates on the work of new artists. She also likes watching TV.

The Heretic (cyber-warrior from the year 3000): Exercises religiously, and reads history books. He's from the year 3000, and is still getting accustomed to the extraordinary freedom he has here.

Blueshift (speedster): Blueshift isn't comfortable around normal people, but she's also not comfortable staying still. She doesn't have the patience for television. She lives for her job (which is currently being a superhero). It's about her only social outlet. Kind of sad, really.

Of these, Avalon would be open to some kind of romantic relationship, although she currently does not have one. Heretic and Blueshift would be made mildly nervous by the idea, for different reasons.

Blueshift (speedster): Blueshift isn't comfortable around normal people' date=' but she's also not comfortable staying still. She doesn't have the patience for television. She lives for her job (which is currently being a superhero). It's about her only social outlet. Kind of sad, really.[/quote']

I read this three times and was SURE this girl's name was BullShit.

Time to take out the contacts.

Guest bblackmoor

I read this three times and was SURE this girl's name was BullShit.

Ha! That's pretty funny. :D

Originally her code name was "Zig Zag". "Blueshift" seemed cooler, more X-Men-ish.