Sex and the Single Superhuman

Steve

Re: Sex and the Single Superhuman

Perhaps it's different in a PBEM, but my players ARE meeting people. at my dining room table. And having fun doing it.

There does seem to be more erotic content in PBEM. Understandable, since its easier to come up with erotica over the computer screen and there's less suspension of disbelief required. I respect people's right to FTB and their sensibilities though.

But almost all the games I have played in have involved romance/sex, politics and religion to a great degree. They're some of the big issues in the real world. A game where they're restriced topics would feel sort of artifical and cartoonish to me.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When GM'ing, I choose to maintain a "PG-13" atmosphere. Characters fall in love, get married, have sex, not always in that order, but the sex is always "off panel."

As far as my characters: Millennium is obnoxiously, ostentageously celebate. He has vowed to remain a virgin until he marries.

Iron Will is 13 years old, a quadroplegic, and still pre-pubescent.

Cheetah is a jerk. He has hooked up with several sports ans superohero groupies, they get bored and dump him in a couple of weeks.

Snow Leopard is very much aware of the fact that her life expectancy is at least twice that of a normal human. She has had a few romantic encounters, but would never consider a serious relationship with anyone under a hundred. On the other hand, she does want to have children someday, and keeps mental notes on every male metahuman she meets as a potential gamate doner.

Dolphin is Gay, and prefers to take the passive role. Strangely, he has a fettish for telepaths. "I don't have to hint or flirt. They know I'm interested, they will tell me if they're interested, or leave it unspoken if they're not. No rejection."

Why' date=' precisely?[/quote']

To quote one, "It always seemed physical to me."

Bluntly, lesbians are lesbians because they like having sex with women, and because they find themselves physically aroused by women. A lesbian may look at another woman and say "I admire the light of her soul", but she's more likely to say "I want that."

The gender doesn't matter myth is a function of late teens and early twenties sexual identity seeking, sexual confusion, and male fantasy. The Kinsey scale may claim that the vast majority of folks are X% bisexual, but (with the exception of a very small percentage) we do make choices, and those choices are largely based on physical desire.

Note that this is not an attack on self identified bisexuals or those that love them. ;)

I always thought the "players" who delved too far into these subjects (especially sex) were sad, pathetic people who needed to go out and meet people instead of sitting around a table "role-playing" them!!!

Yeh! Why would you include the entire gamut of the human experience in your roleplaying! For shame! :tsk:

Realism has no place here! ;)

Sex and Superhuman Roleplaying

Sex and role playing on the net go hand in hand. If your having cyber sex with someone then your role playing the act with them.

To bring it into a game online is just adding another dimension to a character and game that could have been explored at any time by the players in the game.

Now if the players believe that two characters would have sex and feel they wish to role play out the scene thats fine, as long as the rest of the group and GM have there wishes remain clear.

Now personally I'm all for sex in an online PBEM game as long as the characters are 1) staying in character and 2) staying within the plot.

I mean I've had a few rp's end up pretty poorily with 90% of the game being sex 8% being character talking and 2% Plot. The Rp was called House Drake and I was kicked out for having a plot driving character. *shrug* go figure.

Now so far in the Redraptors and Canterville games as Eric Drake, and sex is allowed and so far no characters have pushed the envelope. They have all (as far as I know) stayed decently in character enough that the plot is still as solid as a rock. Which is great, Teen Romances are developing and not just going to mad orgies.

So I guess the point I'm making is "Role playing sex is ok as long as it works with the game instead of against it"

Besides it'd be boring if all super heroes had no sex lives..how would they create the next generation of heroes without procreation.

Now if it's tabletop.... yes if the group is comfortable with it, generally in mine I only have one player comfortable with it and the rest are not so I leave it at just 'is your character having sex with there partner? yes . no. Next day' and leave it at that.

From my Northern Guard campaign:

Captain Sorted and other members of the Northern Guard investigated a series of break-ins at Multicorp and (after following the wrong leads for a while), discovered that the crook in question was a Multicorp employee named Jane Windship (or Locust, from _Champions of the North_).

Locust escaped capture and was on the run for a while, and then, later, after the Northern Guard discovered that Multicorp was evil, Captain Sorted met up with Locust again:

GM: Locust says, "Look, you have to believe me. Some members of the Multicorp board of directors have ties to DEMON. I have some information about an upcoming plot of theirs."

Captain Sorted: Yes, we've had reason to be suspicious of them lately.

GM: Locust looks at you pleadingly and says, "Then, you're not going to turn me in?"

Captain Sorted: No. You're officially a wanted fugitive, but I think that Multicorp is the greater enemy.

GM: Locust breathes a sigh of relief and says, "Well then... I really need a place to stay. I've been on the run for a while."

Captain Sorted: Okay. I've got a good-sized apartment (funded by the British Government, who loaned the good Captain to Canada). You can stay at my place.

GM: So... do you put the moves on Locust?

Captain Sorted: Heck, yes. I've got 14- in Seduction. (rolls dice). Yup. I get lucky.

Unfortunately, the game went on hiatus shortly after that, and we haven't had a chance to play with the implications of an unlikely superhero having a relationship with a wanted fugitive.

Herozine Qaurterly

Latest scenes of the Locust sittings have become more pronounced in [Campaign setting] Could she be trying to hide from our great heroes? Although

We have had strange interviews where the Villian in question had arrived at a

convience store and took a gallon of Ice Cream and 2 dozen Pickles.

So we have to ask our selves, Is the locust about to give the heroes more than can chew with children?

I kinda doubt this will happen but I can almost see it as a short little piece in there herozine magazine if she starts showing and people jump on the interview for money bandwagon.

• 4 weeks later...

Sex in a roleplaying game. Good topic.

As a player, I always try to develop as much of my character as posible. However, i don't play on that end of the table much. I GM.

As has been mentioned, romance and sex (related but very different things, mind you) are topics that will get different reactions from different groups. I always introduce the posibility of romance (or random sex, if it seems appropiate) but always in a manner that the PCs can ignore it if they are uncomfortable with the idea.

In a D&D game, the heroes were saving villages all over the country, and since all the PCs were unatached heroic men, I had a few village women let it be known they were interested in the PCs. For this group of players, nothin' doin'! The women were ignored while the heroes went off to find another demon to kill.

In a current D&D game, the Sorcerer has charmed his way into bed with the main good NPC chick, and their continuing cold relationship (she is very altruistic, and he is very self serving) is an interesting makes for an interesting tension in the plot. There was also the female centaur being continously pestered by the male centaur (she despised him, he desired her) to make fun role playing.

In Champions, people have all sorts of wierd mind sets, as well as physical issues, to explore that will never come up in real life.

Diehard is a worshiper of life itself. Remedy is a mutant with the power to enhance the life force of others. Diehard loves Remedy intensely, as some people proclaim to love Jesus.

In the game I play in now, the GMs wife play the Super Beautiful Mentalist. A few time it has been mentioned how the male human members of the team should be reacting to her. But I play an 89 year old guy 32 years into his second marriage. He don't care none....

Only once have I used sexual inuendo for shock value.

I once created a family of criminals based on putting 100 active points into each stat. One guy had a 110 STR, the next had a 60 CON and so on. Thinking about how their powers would affect their psyche logicly, I concluded the guy with ED would be a pyro, never having learned to fear fire. And the guy with the 210 COM would have had a lifetime of everyone falling all over themselves doing what ever they can to please him in every way. When his intrest turned to sex around puberty, he was allowed to do whatever he wanted with whomever he wanted. He quickly grew jaded, and demanded more outlandish and devient sex.

So, when Antonio (the Strong one) and Victor (the Pretty one) were in the getaway car after a crime, and the insect-theme superhero flew in the window, alighted on the dash and demanded surrender, he was a little taken aback by Victor getting wide eyed as he exclaimed aloud "A six inch tall man! Imagine the possibilities!"

All but one person at the table understood that that comment was from the warped mind of a supervillan. The last person thought I was intentionally gay bashing and expressed his disapointment.

So, I guess the moral is: know your audience/players before trying to run plots that hinge on romance or sex.

Threads inevitably have a certain life span. It has had a full life, you didn't kill it.

:)

Though to comment a bit more. In the three year Rokugan game I ran there was inevitably a certain amount of sex, all handled off camera. Two characters got married, one for love, one for duty to his clan.

On the other hand, in another game there was a 'win a date with the super hero' contest. The PC's ran away from the girl who said she was the daughter of Dr. Destroyer and daddy hates her dating superheros.:)

Sex is pretty much an afterthought for my group. Yes, we have men & women players in long-term (3+yr) campaign setting.

But, we just seem to play out the adventures, we play the combats in the 1st person...

& the character interactions... the interrogations, threats, intimidations, persuasion and the occasional seduction, flirtation are played in the 3rd person.

Looking at the adventures summaries, I can't even find a significant other listed on any char. sheet.

On the other hand' date=' in another game there was a 'win a date with the super hero' contest. The PC's ran away from the girl who said she was the daughter of Dr. Destroyer and daddy hates her dating superheros.:)[/quote']

Win a date with a super hero?!?!? What a brilliant idea! Man I have to nab that for my own (yet to be established) campaign!

Win a date with a super hero?!?!? What a brilliant idea! Man I have to nab that for my own (yet to be established) campaign!

There is also the Superhero Date Charity Auction.

In my campagine two of the (male) PC's had dinner & a show with the same man. Turned out to be their father, Sabertooth.

• 7 months later...

Let's face it. Superhumans have challenging romantic lives. If it's not that nosy girl/guy reporter trying to discover a character's secret identity, all the while ignoring that mild-mannered co-worker, you also throw into the mix alien beings, gods/goddesses from the Land of Legends, that sexy supervillainess/studly supervillain that a hero/heroine has chemistry with, and finally other members of the same superteam. What's a superhuman to do?

So what's the romantic life like for your character? Is he/she in a monogamous relationship with a DNPC, doing the Batman/Catwoman love/hate relationship with a supervillain, dating anything that moves, or something else entirely? Do your superhuman PCs lead active sex lives, or are they so dedicated to their life as a hero that sex doesn't even interest them? Are they straight-laced sorts, or are they care-free exhibitionists or hedonists in their free time? Do they have any dark secrets or desires they hide from others?

Search Engines lead to strange things

Ah well...

Astro-Knight: While his campaign is on voluntary hold, he was seduced by a female reporter, she even found out his secret ID, but she also realized she liked him. He in turn has come to realize some of the pressures her job puts on her. They are now lovers, but there are some unresolved questions between them.

Gaze: The loss of the woman he loved is part of his origin story. It has taken him some time to heal from that, and he never has fully. However, it is now a few years later, and Ingrid, who is his assitant in his secret ID (He's a stage hypnotist) had been flirting with him a bit, and dropping various signs of her interest. He nobly played along the "I can never love another woman" inner monologues, until a villain called Vendetta announced he'd hunt down everyone Gaze touched... and kill them. Suddenly Gaze was paniced. He had more than one DNPC, but the one he went to was Ingrid, warning her to get out of town and he revealed his identity to her. She made it VERY clear (with a kiss) once again of her intentions, and this time he couldn't brush off the feelings. It's a long story, but she ended up gaining some powers of her own and decided to fight crime by his side. He, in turn, tried to get her on the team, for her protection, and the team gave a pretty hard grill on both her and him...which irked him, even if he could see their points. So, he's a mentalist turned fearsome vigilante of the night, she's got superhuman reflexes and innate moves while she dresses in hot pink- "They fight crime!"

Should be happy ever after, however, Gaze threatened a villain the Saints captured with mental rearrangment. Jazz (that's her super hero name now) saw a side, a rather dark side, of the man she cared for that she'd never seen before. Her comment? "I don't know you anymore..." Which really put a knife in. No doubt they'll talk, make up, but it maybe a slowly declining orbit rather than the head on crashing into each other both were hoping for.

Jaunt: He's a 16 year old Sci Fi fan with a psych limitation that makes him incredibly shy around beautiful women. Let's just say he tunes in late night cinemax as best he can and has an active fantasy life, but would faint dead away if a gorgeous woman came onto him.

Max Thunder: He's the son of Zeus with "moments of Godliness" as a disad. WIth his PRE and COM, he gets it easy, and often, and only later when he snaps out of it does he think maybe having entire harems of women is a bad thing.

Recluse: One or two regular lovers, but no serious relationship, one IS forming up though. It all started with a exploding bag meant to HOLD his desires that he didn't clear out... let's just say you should not do magic you do not understand.

Scarlet Archer III: Kyle is very dedicated to carrying on the legacy, however, part of that legacy is supposed to include sweeping women off their feet, or at least flirting heavily. The practical side of him has him leaving women on his own team alone, but he is wondering if either of the ladies on the Champions (He's in MC) is available for a few fun dates, or maybe more? At this point, Fliration is as far as it goes for him though.

Gray Ghost -- was strictly a "Girlfriend Of The Week" sort of guy, so he never had a solid relationship to worry about. If the girl loved him, he figured, she'd wait and understand. Surprisingly (to him) none did...

Fisteel -- took an oath of celibacy because he weighed nearly a ton and didn't want to accidentally injure someone. Eventually he did meet the right woman, though their relationship was purely platonic.

Impact -- was a former felon who was trying to tread the straight and narrow path. He had an on-and-off relationship with one of the group's female members, but both of them had issues which prevented their relationship from really taking off.

I am surprised I didn't answer this one.

Enforcer: The original incarnation was a "frustrated unrequited love" kind of guy. The revision was built as a pleasure slave/guardian and has no sexual taboos at all. He has had a number of discreet trysts with other superheroines (and two villainesses). He is unable to have children and he has a very pragmatic approach to it. However, he has found himself yearning for Athena, the Greek Goddess of Wisdom when the two worked together briefly. He has not been able to get her out of his mind.

Grand Mantis: is currently engaged to Green Dragon's sister. He and Seeker (yeah, it's been a while since I played GM) have a relatively cool relationship because of her. However, his constant attempts at bringing her brother to the side of light has made their love quite strong.

Powerman: The former Purple Haze, was in an explosive and gut wrenching love triangle with Ace (another PC) and Solitaire of the Champions.

After "dying" and coming back as Powerman he stepped out of the triangle and tried to move on. He ended up spending alot of time with the associate Doctor who helped the Team.

Le Fantome ha a girl in every port. And every city, town, small town, village and hamlet.... He's a real friendly guy.

Man-Ape has a lot of dates with attractive women, but doesn't get all that much action. Except from his ex-wife. It's the classic scenario. Can't live with her, can't live without her; they can't spend much time togehter without getting into heated arguments, but the making up lots of fun.

Black Knight is getting lots of action, mostly from goth and punk chicks he hangs around with. After spending decades in a monogomous marriage and slowly getting old and decrepit, now that he's bursting with youth, health and strength, he's making up for lost time!

Hell's Angel doesn't get nearly as much action as she'd like. Her secret ID is an attractive women, but no supermodel. Hell's Angel makes supermodels look plain--but has to deal with the intimidation factor (very few guys are willing to hit on her, and the ones who are are mostly jerks).

Lady Hellfire, Hell's Angel's evil twin in a parallel universe takes a couple of different people to her bed every night. She gets all the action Hell's Angel could possibly dream of...but she also roasts her enemies (and underlings who fail her, and annoying passersby and incompetent clerks and...) alive. So it's not a worthwhile trade, all things considered.

Dragonfly - Stephanie had been mutated with some insect genes. For a very long time she refused to date at all because she couldn't be sure that one of the insect traits she'd picked up was the one where the female bites off the male's head. As a brick, that was a pretty serious risk.

Roxy - As a aquatic shapeshifting alien, she could make herself as attractive as she liked. She also, though, preferred not to date air-breathers, and thus limted herself to NPCs from the Atlantean embassy.

June - June was an artificially created human just learning to be a person in her own right. She had a budding relationship with Max, until she found out he was a bounty hunter hired to wipe out rogue artificials. He'd come to care about her and was willing to let her go, but when he was assigned to take out one of her sisters who'd killed her master to escape his abuse, she had to stop him. He never forgave her. (Both characters were PCs)

Grandmother - Grandmother is, well, a grandmother. He husband passed on from old age several years ago and she doesn't plan to remarry.

Ya'know, seeing this thread come back from the grave reminded me that I meant to post a responce and never did.

Of my two main Champions characters....

Revenant Had no life. Hence no romantic life. Literally. A 25 point physical limit "Dead" severely hampers your romantic options. That and he was kinda a jerk anyway. The closest he came to romance was getting slapped around by the team energy projector for making crass quips about her costume and her occasionally rather obvious "assets".

Blackjack was a bit more complex a character. Back in his street level days, he had a year long relationship with another street level hero that ended badly... as in "watching her get blown away by the super assasin the mafia sent after him" badly. Made him rather gunshy about relationships after that. Casually dated and played the feild a bit in his secret ID after he joined a PRIMUS sponsored team, but wouldn't let anyone get too close. Eventually he wound up in the somewhat akward position of having a 16 year old Ward of the State crushing on him... And he was her legal guardian to boot, beside being a good 15 years too old for her. And she was the teams 85 STR, regenerating Brick, with a "Difficulty controlling own strength" disad. We pretty much realized that even if he were to have a sudden and radical lapse in morality and good judgement, the odds of both her successfully losing her virginity, and of him surviving the experience were pretty slim.

Made for some amusing roleplaying between me and my SO tho.

My current Champions character is in what's become a solo campaign. If there were other players involved still, I don't think I'd be comfortable usurping the GM's attention to this degree. But there aren't, so....

Gamma Girl -- Haven Walkur -- never expected sex to be anything she'd have to "worry" about. From birth, she's had a form-fitting and damn-near impervious forcefield. She doesn't eat, doesn't excrete, doesn't get touched. Ever. But now she's time-lost in the 30th Century, and she's joined the Legion of Superheroes...some of whom have the power to touch her through her forcefield.

Most member worlds of the United Planets regard 14 as the age of majority. At 17, Gamma Girl's an adult by UP standards, but her response to being touched for the first time in her life is a bit -- uncontrolled. Not really adult at all. As a result, she's ended up having sex with a number of Legionnaires and is afraid she's out of control; the desire to be touched is like an addiction now, and every touch, no matter how innocuous, is erotic. And none of the Legionnaires, with their easy-going 30th Century acceptance of sex as a natural urge, can understand why she's so concerned.

Gamma Girl's had splendid rough 'n' ready sex with Timberwolf, a Legionnaire whose raw strength was enough to get through her forcefield. She had a passionate one-time exchange with Chameleon Boy, who was able to make his body partially immaterial and pass through her forcefield (mimicking the power of Phantom Girl, another Legionnaire).

Gamma Girl's in an actual relationship with Matter-Eater Lad, whose ability to consume any form of matter or energy allows him to "eat" through her forcefield and touch her, but only with his mouth (and those Bismollian teeth!). Phantom Girl has offered to use her power on M-E Lad to "phase" him through Gamma Girl's shields; of course, Phantom Girl sees nothing wrong with the idea of her joining the other two in bed to accomplish this! And neither does M-E Lad.

And, of course, there has been the obligatory villain: while undercover, Gamma Girl ended up having to "sleep" with Nemesis Kid, a Legion traitor, to maintain her cover. His power is, as the name suggests, to develop whatever power he needs to overcome whatever power is being used against him. In this case, it was Gamma Girl's forcefield.

Poor Haven, with all this sexual openness, in a culture that regards sex as just another bodily need, no more intimate or embarrassing than, say, eating, and considers sexual jealousy a minor personal aberration...she can't even find a way to explain the problems she's having adjusting. She's 17, but she turned 17 in 1979 -- not 2979!

So perhaps it was inevitable that she'd fall for another Legion member with "archaic" views and morals...even though his are old-fashioned even from Gamma Girl's point of view. Yeah, she's deeply in love with Superboy -- and he doesn't return her feelings. And with typical Clark Kent good intentions, his efforts to be kind to her just end up ripping her up a little more inside.

Snapdragon is sixteen and has been out on a few dates, all of which are "nice smart and one day successful chineese boys" picked by her parents who she can barely stand normally.

Quantum is currently ina very awkward position as the woman he had a good relationship with in the slightly quantum shifted universe he came from is currently dating someone else and he's led a rather sheltered life so no other options have arisen for him yet.

Heaven's sword is 19 and far to shy for someone who is reputed to be one of the most dangerous martial artists in the world. It doesn't help that of the women in the group he's with have a low end COM of 18 and a high end 26-28. He's just lucky that none of them have hit on him.