Why that costume

BcAugust

This is a two part question, brought on by a random thought on the Superhuman Psychology thread.

Why did you decide to give the character that costume that they're wearing/have worn?

What were the in game reasons the character pick that costume?

For instance, my own character Cyrande, I picked her costume to show off and bring a touch of alieness to her, as well as her equipment. (She wears a short top, her belly exposed, with tights cut in a diamond cut up the sides, with boots more like moccisians, in cream with silver patterns, and a crown, with braclets which are a focus for her computer follower)

In character, she sees it as simply leisure clothes, easy to move in, and easy to conjure off or on. She doesn't think about armor or such, or anything but their look, because she doesn't have to.

Re: Why that costume

In The Disruptor's case (NeoChampions Universe), his mismatched armor is intended to represent the way he is constantly tinkering with it. It's an extention of the stereotypical engineer's mentality -- he doesn't give a fig about form, only function.

In the case of Stephen Sashkey (from the Emergence campaign), he doesn't where a "costume" -- it's too noticeable (even though most supers in that campaign do wear costumes at least part of the time). Instead he wears "the Steve outfit": jeans, T-shirt, and an oversized flannel shirt unbuttoned over it. The outer shirt forms a kind of "poor man's cape", the look is intended.

The character I recently started playing, named Hurricane, designed his costume as an homage to the Hawker Hurricane--a plane that his grandfather flew during WWII. It's olive drab with a red, white, and blue bull's eye on the chest; He also has a commando knife, side arm, and a pouch-belt, strictly for utiltarian purposes.

Guest WhammeWhamme

I don't do much thinking in the way of costumes:

If my PC's should have them, I just pick a colour scheme almost at random and go with it. I prefer to focus on the impression they give and what THEY actually look like. Clothing just isn't something that hits me as must do; I'm not terribly visual, I guess.

The only real exception I can remember was Bedouin, who was patterned on a specific real world attire. (A no-prize if you can guess what)

Falcon's costume is very functional (except for her cape -- insert Edna Mode imitation here ;) ). Armored jumpsuit, cowl that covers all but the lower part of her face, boots and gloves. I was going for a detective/gadgeteer, and this gives me lots of places for her to put her toys.

In character, Falcon was originally trained by a pulp vigilante. After Peregrine went and got himself killed by not waiting for backup, she couldn't decide whether she was more angry at the gangsters or at Peregrine for being an idiot ... so while she tried to decide, she appropriated one of his spare outfits and hunted down the gangsters. She's good enough at sewing to take the outfit in, but not quite good enough to restyle it. Since Peregrine had an avian theme (hence the name), she was pretty much stuck with one herself.

Anthem is a girl without resources. She had to work with whatever she had laying around the house and whatever was cheap to replace. She's been slowly upgrading her costume as she earns money in menial jobs when not out performing heroism. The flag was a tribute to her mother, an officer, buried at Arlington. It's the flag her father was given, and that he stuck in a closet and ignored.

Audra Blue is the all-seeing eye of the internet, and hence she adopted the Eye of Horus symbol. It appears in online programs, a completely out of place character among all the programming code. It's her signature and appears on much of her clothing. Aside from it, her clothes are conventional. Jeans, shirts, sometimes shorts. Always long sleeves, because she covers up her cyberjacks in her wrists. And she wears brown contact lenses because as a child in Honduras she was taught to be ashamed of her foreign parentage and therefore her blue eyes.

Uncle Slam supposedly was the model for Uncle Sam, but it may be the othe way around. Over the many decades since he came to public knowledge, his costume has evolved away from the traditional Uncle Sam image.

Lucretia is a blatant Matrix-esque ripoff. Being a gun-fu character, drew a pic, and when coloring chose an outrageously bright green trenchcoat to contrast the black outfit. It became her trademark.

Out of my current crop of characters, I'm kind of partial to Lamplighter, who dresses right out of the American Revolution. He is a Green Lantern type, so his Power Lantern (an alien artifact, probably unique, but similar to a gaslight-style street lamp) was the genesis for the costume and theme idea.

Multiman wears a tabbard-cloak over a boiler suit, and a burgler-style mask. The tabbard of course has a large M on it. To some extent, this was inspired by Magneto's 1980s-era costume, back when he was leading the X-Men.

Hellion is a mutant with an unattractive power. He can cover his body with chitinous brass-colored spike armor, and stretch his arms and legs. He's a speedbrick. No particular costume, since his entire body surface transforms when he turns on his power.

The Cavalier is my powersuit, and his armor is fairly standard- blue, grey and white, done in the Iron Man style (nothing too flashy). His helmet is insectile, however, with two large multifaceted translucent plates covering about 60% of it, and two short spiked antennae sweeping back from the crest. He chose blue and white since the ceramic materials in this kind of armor bake out white, and the metallic portions have a bluish hue. The grey parts are for the seals between the metal and ceramics, which are covered in grey heat-resistant plastic. In the beginning, he painted the armor red and black, but later on decided it was too much trouble and the default colors were "pleasing" enough.

I devote a lot of thought to costumes and what they are for, and they say a lot about my characters: how they think, what they intend to do, and what counts as "useful" from their points of view.

The Tinker wore a loose costume consisting mostly of pockets and pouches, with a blue cape and a full (motorcycle-style) head mask with a car hood ornament. The sole but essential function of the costume was to get police to stop shooting him when this unprepossessing raggedy-man with cases of odd equipment showed up at the scene of a crime. (.357 Magnum/armor-piercing loads were really rough on his largely energy force fields.) Presumably he looked like some kind of villain, looter, scavenger or whatever. The costume worked: that is, sometimes police would wonder "Hey, is that supposed to be a hero?" and refrain from shooting at him. The things we do to make a good first impression ...

That was my first heroic costume. I've always respected that gamemaster for enforcing the genre. :)

Orgone Man wore an "orgone accumulator" suit, which looked like a loose tinfoil body-stocking from neck to ankle, with similar looking boots and gloves. Very "Golden Age". A soft force field protected the suit. Orgone Man would usually charge up in an orgone accumulator booth (functionally equivalent to a Green Lantern using a battery to power up his ring), or if he still had energy to fly and atmospheric conditions were favourable by "cloud-busting," flying through clouds before a storm, scooping up energy. The foil suit contained the charge, both preserving the energy so he could use it (focused END), and sparing bystanders the radiating effects of supercharged healthy sexual energy. Orgone Man also tried a hood to further conserve energy, but it interfered with his telepathic/empathic projection powers, and he couldn't breathe in the darned thing. He did, however, occasionally wear goggles. Everything was for use (Golden Age style), and nothing could have been different without loss of efficiency.

Gladiatrix wore, at minimum, a blood-red bikini (with a big "G" belt-buckle) that wouldn't look bad if she got carved up, because there's only one thing more important than life and death, and that's putting on a great show. She also had fancy scandals, antique armor, a helmet, a shield and weapons. None of them had anything to do with her powers, but she tried to play them up as though they did. She would challenge people to a fair fight, unarmed. This worked, till eventually everyone caught onto her and just opened fire when she started talking about "honorable combat". After that, she kept the bikini because her record company told her she was "established with the bikini," and because not covering too much skin area it didn't get shot up too much or have to be replaced too often, and because nothing sells like celebrity skin. Modesty don't pay for lunch.

Heat wore a full-body (Spiderman-style) red body-stocking, designed and maintained with intense, single-minded, paranoid care to make his trail as hard as possible to follow with forensics. Invariably, people would need to be rescued and often carried to safety, and they would bleed on the costume, they would tear it, they would do intensely annoying things that put Heat to trouble. But he never refrained from rescuing anybody.

Chain Lightning wore a grandiose blue and white silk costume that went with his magical alternate form. He never wanted another option, which was good because there wasn't one. His problem was, he tried as hard as he could to become an expert martial artist so he could be useful in every form. He had some talent, mostly with chain weapons, which he liked. So he started carrying a chain around, and would also use it in his hero identity. And he had good chain lightning powers. So from time to time he was tempted to use the chain and a lightning blast at the same time, and the chain welded straight and solid every time. Time to buy some new chain. Annoying - but sometimes worth it.

Last Hero wears red swimming trunks including a belt, and that's it. A few reasons for this. First, he's modelled on a character who was never seen in anything more than that and the occasional red T-shirt. Second, he spends lots of his time underwater, and is indifferent to chilly water (or snow, etc.), so trunks are very practical, and the belt is a handy place to stow his miniaturised underwater breathing mask. Third, the less there is to a costume, the less there is to get shot up or torn, a consideration that always jumps to my mind while playing a brick. Fourth, he's twelve foot tall, with a Richard Corben mega-body. There's no point in pretending to be normal (and no real need for insignia to distinguish him from all the other twelve foot tall androgynous mega-muscled beings you ordinarily meet in the queue at the supermarket), and there's a presence attack to be gained by showing what he's got. Since he's not much of a talker, the muscles are the message.

(A fellow Australian swimmer said of Lisa Curry-Kenny: "She's got all the other girls intimidated in the dressing room."

Hot for a "tough" line, the interviewer eagerly asked: "Why? What does she say?"

Answer: "She doesn't say anything. She takes off her clothes."

That's about it. And giving the right impression can sometimes save you from having to beat up lots of little people.)

Even simple, non-powered costumes are extremely useful. Use them! :)

Well, my current character doesn't have a costume. Doesn't even have clothes. he's a cat, and is supposed to look normal (for a cat).

Previous characters:

Cobalt: Though not a martial artist, he wears a karate-gi. He's Japanese, has had martial arts training (for meditation, focus and discipline) and has a high respect for dedicated practicioners of the martial arts. His costume is actually a manifisation of his subconscious, a side effect of using his mystical powers.

Vantage: Dresses like a swashbuckling pirate. He a mentalist and likes to look flashy and impress the ladies. He finds long blond wavy hair and leather pants with a swishy-poofta shirt accomplish this.

Zectron: Doesn't have much of a costume. His skin is seemingly made of red rubber (the same kind superballs are made out of, called zectron).

Shaman: A Native American mind mage. He's adopted the ritual dress of his tribes shamans as his costume. His tribe has mixed feelings over this.

Nephilim used to be a genuine warrior angel, and now that she's "mortalized" and human, her Hero ID is similar but not exactly like her original angelic armor. It's basically a Roman style bronze breast plate with a white ankle-length loincloth, a small cape that attaches at the shoulders, and sandals. Her features change enough from secret ID to Hero ID, negating the need for a mask.

Badger goes into battle in T-shirt and blue jeans (and usually flannel shirt over the T-shirt). He doesnt do superhero costumes. He just considers them stupuid. And doesnt mind pointing it out to those who do wear them.

He also has a green head band that belonged to his mentor, who was killed.

Nephilim used to be a genuine warrior angel' date=' and now that she's "mortalized" and human, her Hero ID is similar but not exactly like her original angelic armor. It's basically a Roman style bronze breast plate with a white ankle-length loincloth, a small cape that attaches at the shoulders, and sandals. Her features change enough from secret ID to Hero ID, negating the need for a mask.[/quote']

Aw come on, post a pic...

I bet you have one :)

I have two characters with very deliberate costumes.

The first, Amethyst, shares an origin-type with Cobalt, and her costume (via Instant-Change) springs from her subconscious. She was always a big mystery fan before her powers came to her, and was a librarian for quite some time. The costume is two-toned violet, like an amethyst stone, and consists of the standard my-boots-are-connected-to-my-leggings, with a flowy-sleeved blouse, and a darker violet jumper over that, that fits nice and trim, with the skirt slit up to the hip on both sides, so the leggings show. (Credit where credit is due... This was a 'ripoff' from the incredible work of JM Linsner... it is slightly modified from the outfit worn by his character Adelle in the Lucifer's Halo comics, part of his larger Dawn universe. The neckline was raised a bit, so the jumper part came above the breasts, making a more modest-looking neckline that better framed the Amethyst stone in her chest, and the reddish color was swapped for a dark violet. I thought it looked like a good librarian-turned-superhero-P.I. outfit, and used it. I love his work... it's a bit controversial, but well-worth a read if you're in the mood for something a little different!)

My original creation, though, and my favorite costume I've done for one of my own characters is Descant of the Defenders... she wears a black bodysuit that fades along the arms and legs into a vibrant purple color... then fades out again in stripes that go around her wrists and ankles... since the lines circle her limbs, it gives the effect of her having 'rings' or 'waves' of sound vibrating down her body, which after I created it, seemed to really fit the sonic character. Eventually I'll have a pic posted of her on Dust Raven's site. I just love the way the effect turned out. (Now if I just had the patience to recreate that on my miniature!)

The character I recently started playing' date=' named Hurricane, designed his costume as an homage to the Hawker Hurricane--a plane that his grandfather flew during WWII. It's olive drab with a red, white, and blue bull's eye on the chest; He also has a commando knife, side arm, and a pouch-belt, strictly for utiltarian purposes.[/quote']

Does he have a cleft chin sticking out of a fighter pilots cap with the googles too??? . Seriously, I love the idea of the homage in Speedy's PBeM game to the Hurricane. Great aircraft! I'm still waiting for the archnemesis being called Folke-Wulfe... or as Daffy said, "a whole mess a' messerschmidts"

Letsee... I design costumes on an almost daily basis.

A costume (or lack of costume) says a lot about the super. I actually prefer the term "uniform". After all, it is what these folks put on when its time to go to very serious work of putting their lives on the line.

I try to design serious costumes for "serious" supers. Goofy costumes for tricksters and jokers. Capes for regal types. I'm known for my love of pouches... but that is because even Superman needs his car keys (clark does drive around the Daily Planet occasionally). I like tight costumes because why in the world would you want something that could be caught on something during a paranormal fight?

Of course, some caped characters USE the cape, as a weapon, a defense, a cloak of levitation (looking at you Doc Strange), or even a living thing (Spawn).

I've worn a lot of spandex (bike messenger, 2 years, NYC). It is great stuff. Truly. It keeps you dry. It is comfortable and moves. I took a 30 foot slide coming out of central park near Mt. Sinai hospital on wet asphalt. Not a bruise, not a scratch or a twinge of pain, becasue that spandex allowed me to hydroplane down the freakin' hill. Yup... love that stuff.

I used to think costumes were a bit "stupid" and the left overs of an old convention. NOw... not so sure. In our own games, the older characters have iconic status... the costume is important... doesn't mean that Vector can't beat the crap outta the bad guys in jeans (and it has happened more than once). But as a leader and important figure, his costume is armor, space suit as well as calling to the fact that he is "other". Yet he doesn't dye his white temples... he is human too.

Recently, RDU Neil has even been thinking about the legal ramifications of putting on a costume. Wackos, who aren't super, sometimes do it and get seriously hurt in our game. Well, they lose some protection under the law for doing so. Like running around with a plastic gun that looks real in front of the cops and getting shot. The fault is with that person... not the cops. Same with the costume, put one on and Ultraman punches you through a wall... your bad... you put on a costume and most Costumes have powers beyond that of normal men!

I used to think costumes were a bit "stupid" and the left overs of an old convention. NOw... not so sure. In our own games, the older characters have iconic status... the costume is important... doesn't mean that Vector can't beat the crap outta the bad guys in jeans (and it has happened more than once). But as a leader and important figure, his costume is armor, space suit as well as calling to the fact that he is "other". Yet he doesn't dye his white temples... he is human too.

This has been a small undercurrent in my game for a long time. Costumes/uniforms, tended to have a "reason" or not actually be a costume... just clothing or armor or non-human appearance. Some characters wore costumes for the same reason actors and musicians do... do get attention. If I had Storn's talent, I might have a couple characters who pulled a "Wasp" and changed their costume constantly.

I do think that two concepts have tended to play out over time. As characters mature, they either move away from the costume and code name (utilitarian clothes, or just blending in)... or their costume has become a uniform... like with Storn's Vector. The costume has become a mark of recognition... though I don't think anyone has an iconic symbol like Superman's "S"...

... oh wait... there is the "Hand of Locke" but that is more scary than symbolic. :)

Recently, RDU Neil has even been thinking about the legal ramifications of putting on a costume. Wackos, who aren't super, sometimes do it and get seriously hurt in our game. Well, they lose some protection under the law for doing so. Like running around with a plastic gun that looks real in front of the cops and getting shot. The fault is with that person... not the cops. Same with the costume, put one on and Ultraman punches you through a wall... your bad... you put on a costume and most Costumes have powers beyond that of normal men!

Yeah, I was wrestling with this idea on the use of costumes/uniforms... and Storn threw out the "plastic gun" scenario which was a brilliant allusion. I don't buy Bendis' "illegal to wear a costume" concept in Powers... because it would be too hard to determine exactly what a costume was... but I do feel it would have legal status... in a case by case basis where the clothing of the person was taken into account in the response of the authorities.

This is a two part question, brought on by a random thought on the Superhuman Psychology thread.

Why did you decide to give the character that costume that they're wearing/have worn?

Well, OOCly, I do that because costumes to me are a beloved part of the super heroic genre ;)

As with others, it depends on the character... I use the 5th Ed universe, so costumes are a tradition among heroes and some will put them on just because it is expected. What's more, a costume lets folks know you are a super, and a distinctive costume of your very own is like a uniform that eventually (hopefully) will inspire trust and let folks know a super hero is here. Brown haired Browneyed man in a Tee shirt and jeans is not that memorable at first glance.

Still, there are other reasons

Some examples

Astro-Knight: The 'Power Armor' he wears is a part of him, infused in his being until he activates the "OIHID" bit that transforms him. He really didn't have a choice.

Max Thunder: Doesn't wear a costume, thanks to a public id and godly mein anyways (and the fact he doesn't see himself as a super hero) but for some reason the son of Zeus keeps getting his shirts ripped in combat in the form of a lightning like pattern. ;)

Snap-Back: A stretching character, he needs a set of clothes that actually stretches WITH him, other wise he's going to be fighting folks nude.

Surge: Powered Armor, the suit is the source of his powers.

From a GM perspective, the putting on the costume is one of my favorite parts of running an origin story. It is great fun to have players' characters "slapping on a costume from various outfits in a warehouse" in a hurry to "protect their secret identity" as they save the day. One fun example was a character who was normally reserved lady, upon gaining powers but needing a 'special costume' that those powers won't destroy got handed one by a scientist friend who claimed "There wasn't enough bioweave so I had to make it skimpy." :eg: etc. The character is appalled, but the player is chuckling and has a legitimate excuse why a character with a reserved personality is wearing the traditional 'sexy costume'.

How a particular hero gets into tights, and what they get stuck with or choose really does help shape up their personality.

Black Cat has a graduated black & grey bodysuit with colored trim, and a stylized martial arts belt. No mask. She's a martial artist, I went with something with a martial arts feel, but was not a gi. Her reasoning as well.

cat2.jpg

Ballistic is a supersuit. Sort of defines his look. I went with the design that I went with because I thought it looked cool. Ballasitic didn't build the suit, so internally he had no impact on the design. It is basically a grey body suit with white semienamled chestpiece, codpiece greaves and arm guards. He has a completely reflective faceplate, and a helmet that in reminiscent of the 4th ed Dr Destroyer. The faceplate was his idea - he's an Ex-cop and loves the idea of something like the classic cop sunglasses but more so.

When he went through a life change and became a supermage he added a cape, just because it seemed the thing to do.

ballistic.jpg

Meeb has no costume. He's an amoeba. He wore a cape and mask in his first adventure, but it looked silly.

Cape.JPG

Terminal Velocity has a mostly black bodysuit with red and silver trim and a stylized TV logo. He's a teenager and wanted something edgy and cool. No pic up yet.

I give my characters a costume because there’s excellent psychological reasons for standing out in a crowd.

To me, though, these questions are pretty much the same. All my characters have in-game reasons for the costumes they wear.

For Morningstar, his costume is simply evolution of his original: that is to say, when he first appeared on the scene, he wore motorcycle leathers with a jacket. It fit his “cool†self-image and he didn’t have access to any uber-tech cloth. Now, though not necessarily off-the-rack, he still holds with that overall image.

Raptor is a young fledgling hero, and his costume is basically traditional spandex-like outfit, modified to fit his winged back. He’s simply trying to portray himself as the superhero he wants to be, and feels he should “dress the partâ€. It helps him get into the mindset of being a hero and, he hopes, let others know he’s trying to be a good guy.

Ballistic wears modified military gear with an overcoat because he carries a $#!%load of guns. The coat hides them from casual looks, and he goes for the intimidating vigilante look because it helps in his job.

Wylde (currently not in play) wears spandex thigh-length shorts because he’s super furry and prefers as little clothing as possible. He otherwise usually only wears a tank-top, a coat, and (untied) high-tops (which get kicked off in combat). He’s all about practicality.

I think a costume should always have in-game reasoning behind it, even if it’s only “because I think this character would believe this color scheme is neatoâ€. Colors, designs, symbols (if any) and materials all have in-game reasons for each of my characters. I might not always express that to the GM or the other players (unless they ask), but I know what they are at the time of creation.

You know, I forgot to give the out of game reasons...

In most cases, I pick a costume for my characters because it looks cool. Nothing much else goes into it, except for what I consider cool at the time. I typically delve into the character a bit to figure out what they might consider cool, or how they might arrive at a costume design I've already thought of.

In the case of Cobalt, I wanted an energy projector that dressed like a martial artist. Since I had decided that his costume came from his subconscious, I altered the character a little bit to account for his respect of martial artists.

In the case of Vantage, I had no idea what type of costume to put on a mentalist, but I knew it had to be flashy. I pictured the character being athletic and active and a guy who used is telekinesis and telepathy like a rapier, so I went with a swashbuckler pirate outfit.

Zectron was simple, as his body was made of rubber. I just had to leave it at that and be done with it.

Shaman was one of my first characters and I was at a total loss for ideas for a costume and decided at the last minute that if he was Native American he was gonna dress like one from 200 years ago and show off his heratige a bit. He ended up looking like a poser or a reject from the Silver Age but I kept the costume because despite the flack he got from wearing it, it suited him.

Well, The Greek wears the very same armor she first woke up in, when she awoke in the modern world (it was preserved along with her). It ties her to home, and clearly identifies her as The Greek.

Both of my characters in the Delta Defenders campaign wear street clothes, but for different reasons. Beacon does it because she's very literal and minimalist. Aya does it because she's not officially a superhero, and she doesn't want to stand out.

My only other character, Weather Girl, I haven't played in about a year and a half. She wears a clingy purple body suit, a mask and rubber-lined gloves. The mask is to protect her Secret ID. The only other reasoning behind her costume is the gloves, which protect people she touches from being zapped (she lets off a constant static charge). Otherwise, I picked it 'cause it looked cool, and I was going through a purple phase. ^ v ^

Sr. Mysterio is a Luchadore. His costume is his ring attire.

Bingo the Clowno is a Clown.

The Paladine wears a suit of classic looking armor for that added protection. ( not that he needs it )

The Highwayman seems to wear the clothes he died in.

But he's a ghost, no costume change possible.

Javaman, however, wears a costume so that if he trips, he

doesn't get the worlds worst case of road-rash. And it is

blue because he likes that color.

Microman II: Is an android, and doesn't wear clothing. :)

His general color scheme is a stylized derivative of his "father's" old costume, but as far as Microman is concerned, its just his skin.

Diomedes: IC, his costume is designed to be functional street-leveler gear- lightly armored, few loose elements to get in the way of movement, etc. OOC, it was inspired by Nite Owl II's costume ( take his look, replace the spandex with more of the brown stuff, ditch the long cape for a short, foot long or so shoulder cloak, merge all the headgear together, thats basically what his getup looks like ).

Does he have a cleft chin sticking out of a fighter pilots cap with the googles too??? . Seriously' date=' I love the idea of the homage in Speedy's PBeM game to the Hurricane. Great aircraft! I'm still waiting for the archnemesis being called Folke-Wulfe... or as Daffy said, "a whole mess a' messerschmidts"[/quote']

hee hee. Yeah--I should give him a big ole' moustache, too: one that he waxes and twirls into a little point. Actually, Storn--there's probably a commission for his pic coming your way. What's your turnaround time these days?