Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

In tonight's supers game

Neutron: So, Im supposed to believe that you and the guys with the guns and the knives and the baseball bat "werent doing anything". Right.

Thug: Hey, its a rough neighborhood! Thats why we have to make with the guns, and the knives, and the baseball bat.

-----------------

Feline Fury: Hey Neutron? I just realized that when we left those gang dudes for the police....you forgot to get their car down off the roof of that motel

>.<

I was in a tremendously fun Mutants and Mastermidns game this weekend. The GM is using the 'Middleton' setting form Omlevex - think Sunnydale, but moreso, if you're unfamiliar. Or Eureka, but for magic.

Each of the players basically grabs one of the default templates and starts thinking of names, etc. One of the characters is a Dr. Prybylak, a Polish scientist researching Thanatology - and our first adventure contains his origin. His experiment backfires, transforming him into a revenant-type. The player is unable to come up with a 'superhero' name immediately, speculating it should be "Doctor" something.

The explosion leaves him dazed, so he's stumbling around his lab, with clouded sneses, menacing anything unfamiliar in his path - such as my character, who'd arrived just in time for the big boom. I explain my presence to the dazed creature, and he doesn't quite grasp it - but his lab assistant, the third PC, does, and directs him to calm down, thusly :

"Doc! Chill!"

I and the Doctor's player kind of exchange a glance, and there's a great moment of synchronicity, as we both say :

"Doc Chill!"

And thus, his superhero name was born.

So, in my Champions game we've recently been dealing with super-powered serial killer who has been targeting other supers. In the penultimate chapter the GM surprised us all by having the latest fatality be one of the Champions, Witchcraft to be specific. After the game wrapped we all made a point of telling him that none of us had seen it coming.

GM: "Cool. Just don't tell anybody on the Hero boards. I'd never live it down."

:D

Cenobite's GM walking down the street. Gets hit in the head with a rock.

Hero Boarder1: "You killed Witchcraft"

Hero Boarder2: "You Bastard!"

An old one I had forgotten about until something at work prompted the memory to bubble back to the surface:

"[My cleric] casts Cat's Grace before the fight ... I need to make sure I go first."

"So, you're rolling faith-based initiative?"

Repped!

Background:

Playing a Moscow-based super team. One of the PCs (Livewire) has infiltrated a Russian Mafia family to investigate a mystery. My character (and I) were absent so the character/I was getting the rundown from Piston Joe (another PC).

ME(IC): So where's Livewire?

Piston Joe (IC): He's infiltrating the mafia to get closer to some hard men.

Piston Joe (PC getting flustered but still IC): No, that's not what I meant... I meant he's trying to get inside some hard men...

The best thing is this player always manages to make comments like these unintentionally, gets flustered, and makes things worse :) with a follow up. I should start writing them down.

"Oops."

(Wonders if Kirby's going to admit the need for context with this one. :P)

:nya: Context is one thing, writing a paragraph about each character's history, how they formed the team, their current love interests and then saying "two men walked into a bar. You think the second one would have seen it," is just too much. :cool:

...and to actually validate Kirby's position a little... some of our "context" does get overmuch, as he says, being only very little related to the funny quote. This is "Quote of the Week," not "Storytime." And while I don't personally mind, I do see how Kirby could say that, at least some of the time. Sometimes, I don't quite understand what could have been shortened, but usually anything can be shortened and made more concise if we really wanted to...

Honestly, though, I like most of the stories that go along with things, with some exceptions, of course. =)

Okay, adding context:

In my Scales out of Balance campaign on HC, two particular characters are involved in this one. Rogg, a Hulk homage, and Samantha, a genetic construct who's being hunted by her government creators (for those following other threads, she's the one the thread "On the Use and Abuse of Character Weaknesses" was about.)

At any rate, a group of agents were fighting her, she managed to drive them off. Meanwhile, Rogg is approaching with somebody who tipped him off to something being up. The agents have just called in the big guns - a helicopter that they intend to use to chase and bring down Samantha. Rather than running, she heads to the remains of the agents, grabs some of their gas grenades, jumps up onto the skids, and chucks them into the helicopter.

Rogg, not being particularly blessed with the gift of forethought, also jumps up, intending to wrestle the helicopter to the ground.

Perhaps fortunately, he botches his Grab roll, slamming into the side of the helicopter before sliding off, rather like a bird hitting a window. On his way down, he can think of only one thing to say:

"Oops."

Sorry if that was too much. :P

Okay, adding context:

In my Scales out of Balance campaign on HC, two particular characters are involved in this one. Rogg, a Hulk homage, and Samantha, a genetic construct who's being hunted by her government creators (for those following other threads, she's the one the thread "On the Use and Abuse of Character Weaknesses" was about.)

At any rate, a group of agents were fighting her, she managed to drive them off. Meanwhile, Rogg is approaching with somebody who tipped him off to something being up. The agents have just called in the big guns - a helicopter that they intend to use to chase and bring down Samantha. Rather than running, she heads to the remains of the agents, grabs some of their gas grenades, jumps up onto the skids, and chucks them into the helicopter.

Rogg, not being particularly blessed with the gift of forethought, also jumps up, intending to wrestle the helicopter to the ground.

Perhaps fortunately, he botches his Grab roll, slamming into the side of the helicopter before sliding off, rather like a bird hitting a window. On his way down, he can think of only one thing to say:

"Oops."

Sorry if that was too much. :P

A lesson in susinct story telling:

Characters: Rogg, not so bright brick and Samantha.

Samantha is being attacked by agents. They call in a helicopter to chase her down after she defeats a group on the ground. Instead of running she grabs the defeated agents' gas grenades and tosses them into the helicopter.

This is when Rogg arrives on scene, sees the helicopter and decides to jump in to wrestle it to the ground. He botches his Grab roll, slamming into the side of the helicopter before sliding off, rather like a bird hitting a window. On his way down, he can think of only one thing to say:

"Oops."

"Famous Last Words" from campaigns and games long ago.

Fighter in full plate mail, standing in a river about waist-high, facing off against another fighter: "Gimme your best shot."

(opponent rolls critical success, one-shot KOs the PC fighter, who falls in the water and begins to drown)

Superheroine Tempest facing off against the VIPER Nest Leader, Kilowatt: "He's MINE!"

(Kilowatt zaps Tempest, KOs her in one shot)

(Sorry, Kirby, a little backstory needed)

Fantasy Hero game, where one player kept missing out of gaming sessions. The other players are getting irritated, so their characters:

(1) replace Mr. MIA's oak staff with one made from some flexible wood, balsa, I believe;

(2) replace the arrows in his quiver with ones with the fletching seriously messed up so they won't fly straight; and

(3) hire some local toughs to fake an attack on the party.

The next time Mr. MIA *is* there on gaming night, the ambush happens. When the toughs show up, the other players make sure Mr. MIA's character is in front. He begins firing arrows, which all veer off from their target.

Mr. MIA: "They have some sort of magical deflection field!"

Other players and GM, all trying to keep straight faces: "Um... yeah! Right! Yeah! That's what it is!"

So Mr. MIA rushes forward into HtH range, takes a swing with his staff... which bounces off the thug's chest. As the end of the staff waves back and forth in the air like a rubber bone, you can just imagine the look on his face.

Mr. MIA: "What the... how... Okay, I *gotta* know how you drew that power up!"

At this point, nobody could keep a straight face any more, and we all broke up laughing.

Sir Justin (a Paladin of the sun-god Mitra) and Illysandri (a mage whose spells sometimes don't work so well) are facing down an angry ogre.

Illysandri: Wait! I'll cast a "buffing" spell on you!

One failed spell roll later, she has to roll on our spell failure chart. Result: "All inorganic matter in a 2" radius centered on the target vanishes."

GM: Well, Justin is certainly ... ahem ... "buff" now... :nonp:

And the Ogre's clothes disappeared too:

GM: His knuckles aren't the only things dragging the ground. :drink:

Then later:

Justin: What are you looking at? It's nothing but what Mitra blessed me with! :king:

A lesson in susinct story telling:

Repped. :D

(Sorry, Kirby, a little backstory needed)

Fantasy Hero game, where one player kept missing out of gaming sessions. The other players are getting irritated, so their characters:

(1) replace Mr. MIA's oak staff with one made from some flexible wood, balsa, I believe;

(2) replace the arrows in his quiver with ones with the fletching seriously messed up so they won't fly straight; and

(3) hire some local toughs to fake an attack on the party.

Now see, this is a decent length and relative backstory. Repped. :)

Sir Justin (a Paladin of the sun-god Mitra) and Illysandri (a mage whose spells sometimes don't work so well) are facing down an angry ogre.

Illysandri: Wait! I'll cast a "buffing" spell on you!

One failed spell roll later, she has to roll on our spell failure chart. Result: "All inorganic matter in a 2" radius centered on the target vanishes."

GM: Well, Justin is certainly ... ahem ... "buff" now... :nonp:

And the Ogre's clothes disappeared too:

GM: His knuckles aren't the only things dragging the ground. :drink:

Then later:

Justin: What are you looking at? It's nothing but what Mitra blessed me with! :king:

Now that's just funny. :lol:

In no particular order from last night's game ...

The group has encountered a werebear, which has assumed human form, and has no clothes on (for some reason). I can't find my slip of paper with the character names on it, so I'm just going to list the classes.

Warlock (in a thick Scottish brogue): "Fer the luvva God, man, cover up yuir shame!" I say, as I look him straight in the eyes.

Me: "If you see anything you don't recognize, you can shoot it."

"Wheee! I'm a Warlock Kite!"

The person who has asked for our help in dealing with a situation has, for no apparent reason, been treating us incredibly rudely, with various insults and off-flippings. Trying not to disrupt the game, I simply continue to politely request the information I would like so that we have some idea what we're supposed to do and where we're supposed to do it. After wading through fifteen minutes of foul language, I thank him for the information, then pop him a solid one in the face.

"THAT'S for your attitude problem."