Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

This is from the DnD game I play in ever couple of weeks.

Dan (GM): Chris (our dwarf fighter) you notice that you've started itching and your skin is getting rather dry and just as you get your experience level *pop* you have 4 new arms appear. And new eyes appear on top of your head.

Me: Oh great, his intelligence is low enough that he'll start following his ioun stone (little stone spinning around the top of his head). He'll start spinning in circles and make himself so dizzy that he'll fall flat on his rump.

In our GURPS Firefly campaign, we had rescued a bunch of young girls who were about to be sold into slavery, and went about trying to find nice planets to drop them off on. Our GM has a long list of names that she uses as a random name generator, and one of the girls ended up named Honda.

Trav (the pilot): "Honda is part chinese and part european, right?"

GM: "Yes"

Trav: "So she's a Honda hybrid?"

If you've ever battled a really good martial artist with a pure brick you'll understand this one...

"Breakfall THAT... b/tch!"

My brick, Neutron, had a similar one to that a couple months ago:

Teleporting martial-artist bad-guy has been dodging Iron Maiden's attacks all combat. Neutron waits until just after martial artist attacks IM, picks up an armored car and drops it on martial-artist's head, CON-stunning him.

Neutron: Dodge THAT, punk!

I'm running the Martian invasion (10-30-1938) in a golden age game currently. Last night, one of the characters managed to figure out the basics of running a Martian war tripod and took it into action against two other tripods. My GM-PC was acting as copilot/gunner, two other PCs jumped out to face the tripods directly. At one point, my character was going to fire the heat ray at another tripod but rolled an 18. I decided that this wasn't the character with the Analyze Technology skill, so she could easily have hit the wrong button -- and random roll said Falcon set off the poisonous black smoke by mistake. (Fortunately, the heroes outside made their PER rolls to hold their breaths.) One player quipped "I guess that tripod didn't go in for its 6000 light year oil change."

New player in our group - not an experienced RPGer, in her first battle. There is chaos all about.

New Player: (desperately scanning her sheet, which reads like Greek to her):

"I, um use my Danger Sense! Do I sense danger?"

GM (irritated, booming voice): "YES. THAT WOULD BE THE 2-STORY TALL KILLER ROBOT THAT'S RAMPAGING TOWARDS YOU. I'LL GIVE YOU THAT ONE FOR FREE."

More mayhem.

NP (more desparate scanning): "I, um, use my Sense Alignment! Can I sense its alignment?"

GM (irritated, booming voice): "YES. IT'S EVIL. I'LL GIVE YOU THAT ONE FOR FREE."

New player in our group - not an experienced RPGer, in her first battle. There is chaos all about.

New Player: (desperately scanning her sheet, which reads like Greek to her):

"I, um use my Danger Sense! Do I sense danger?"

GM (irritated, booming voice): "YES. THAT WOULD BE THE 2-STORY TALL KILLER ROBOT THAT'S RAMPAGING TOWARDS YOU. I'LL GIVE YOU THAT ONE FOR FREE."

More mayhem.

NP (more desparate scanning): "I, um, use my Sense Alignment! Can I sense its alignment?"

GM (irritated, booming voice): "YES. IT'S EVIL. I'LL GIVE YOU THAT ONE FOR FREE."

NP: Everyone's picking on me. This game is too hard. I quit.

GM: Why is my player base so stagnant?

Hero Games: Why are our sales not going up? Where are all the new players?

Off topic to the thread, but maybe the new player would have a better time, and be up to speed faster, if someone actually helped them, instead of yelling at them and abusing them for making errors. I like to get an experienced player to "buddy" the new player for a few sessions (freeing the GM from this task).

Here are a few quotes from a couple of Champions games I've run. Canadian Sheild was the "serious" game, and MegaCity was a "Mystery Men" style low-point comedy series of games.

CANADIAN SHIELD

"I feel silly, I'm a career soldier, I've been to Sereyevo. I've been to Somalia...I've been to New York..."

-Staff Sgt. Berton, on being unsettled by seeing Jean Codere transform into a werewolf.

"I'm going to pull a hissy fit and I need to concentrate."

-Siren

WILDCARD: You don't get a day off of Canadian Shield because you have a runny nose

SIREN: Yes, but today you have two runny noses.

- on Wildcard's latest transformation, with two heads, four arms and four legs.

"I don't talk to men covered in snot."

-Tempo to Wildcard, trapped in a liquid polymer entangle resembling mucous.

BLUEFIRE: Why is Tempo the only one listening to me?

SIREN: She's new; She doesn't know any better.

"There's somebody home, but he keeps hanging up."

-Siren, on having a hard time mind-controlling a villain with strong mental defenses.

"Dodge? Why I have a Dodge right here!"

-Wildcard, throwing another car.

"Arrow should have one of those FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY signs on his head."

-Wildcard, after Arrow's second successful Move Through maneuvre.

"Isn't that just like a man; Just when you want to talk to them, they're out cold" -Siren, on her frustration at being unable to mind-control an unconscious foe.

"It's like having a baby, only you're the baby."

-Jean (Loup Garou) Codere, on how it feels to change into a werewolf.

"Hey, let's not forget our communications protocol people! This is an official business channel! Yellow alert is reserved for second & third base. Red alert is for home!"

-Martin (Wildcard) Gideon, after Arrow signalled a Red Alert, thinking his cousin Jake was in trouble, when he was, in fact, making out with Stephanie Wright.

"I can't believe it. His eyes didn't even drop when he was shaking my hand. I don't think that's ever happened before."

-Siren, on the Prime Minister's uncanny ability to not stare at her breasts.

"It's not good guys and bad guys, it's bad guys and WORSE guys!"

-Siren

MEGACITY MEGAMEN

"Oh, well, being defeated by a superhero team is good press too!"

-Evil Guy

Ta ta! Going on patrol. There may not be crime, but I might get lucky.

-Pink Panther

You're so open minded you've got a door at the back of your head

-Red Rocket

Your contacts squeaked that?

-The Hero With No Name, referring to the Red Rocket's subway mice informants

METRO MAN: She talks to mice.

RED ROCKET: Yeah, well, he thinks Jennifer Love Hewitt actually likes him.

METRO MAN: But I SAVED her!

RED ROCKET: And yet, the Restraining Order.

Look, I'm the pidgeon of justice!

-Metro Man, meaning 'paragon'

THE HERO WITH NO NAME: She's going to save my ass again.

RED ROCKET: That's what I do.

RED ROCKET: You're not the brains of this operation, are you?

THE HERO WITH NO NAME: Who is?

Lets conch this guy on the head

-Red Rocket

Your clue train has pulled out of the station

- Night Watchman

Do you remember the good old days when we fought crime?

-Red Rocket

RED ROCKET: Well, we saved the day again

METRO MAN: No, we were present when the day was saved.

Okay, this one hasn't popped up in any of my campaigns, but it came into my mind the other day and I can't think of anywhere else to use it.

FIGHTER: You're talking to a myconid?

ROGUE: Hey, he's actually a fungi.

[You might want to say it out loud...]

Okay, this one hasn't popped up in any of my campaigns, but it came into my mind the other day and I can't think of anywhere else to use it.

FIGHTER: You're talking to a myconid?

ROGUE: Hey, he's actually a fungi.

[You might want to say it out loud...]

Don't make me hurt you.

Off topic to the thread' date=' but maybe the new player would have a better time, and be up to speed faster, if someone actually helped them, instead of yelling at them and abusing them for making errors. I like to get an experienced player to "buddy" the new player for a few sessions (freeing the GM from this task).[/quote']

Kudos to you!

My gaming group lost two players recently, one's job has new hours so she can't play and the other is her boyfriend (which, while it stinks that he won't play because she can't, I really respect him for that). This was half the PC base. One player has mentioned that two more people have asked to play. As long as they aren't munchkins and are willing to play, I'll be more than happy to help them along. (My first chance to meet them will be the Sunday after Thanksgiving.)

Here are a few quotes from a couple of Champions games I've run. Canadian Sheild was the "serious" game' date=' and MegaCity was a "Mystery Men" style low-point comedy series of games.[/quote']

Quite a few funny ones there. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

OOOOHhh fun, why did this happen?

This is from the DnD game I play in ever couple of weeks.

Dan (GM): Chris (our dwarf fighter) you notice that you've started itching and your skin is getting rather dry and just as you get your experience level *pop* you have 4 new arms appear. And new eyes appear on top of your head.

Me: Oh great, his intelligence is low enough that he'll start following his ioun stone (little stone spinning around the top of his head). He'll start spinning in circles and make himself so dizzy that he'll fall flat on his rump.

On the world we were in there had been a huge magical war. All the critters on the surface are huge and many things had been turned into insectoids. That would include the dwarven race. We came from another world and crash landed in this odd little world. And, apparently there is enough magical energy left from the war that our dwarf is turning into the insectoid dwarves of this world.

Most of this came from a homebrew campaign that my gaming group has been working on for years. It can be found at http://www.laww.org . It can be interesting at times.

"Off topic to the thread, but maybe the new player would have a better time, and be up to speed faster, if someone actually helped them, instead of yelling at them and abusing them for making errors."

Hardly. Much fun was had by all. (Perhaps I overstated the drama a little.)

Besides, there is somethin gto be said about encouraging a player into taking some initiative on her own - even if it's not the most strategic move - rather than garden-pathing her.

In our light-hearted fantasy game, our group is on a long sea voyage, and Dutch (my barbarian who lives to fight) is bored out of her skull. When we spot a pirate ship, she begins gleefully preparing her weapons for the coming battle.

The pirate ship pulls alongside our ship and the two captains begin parlaying, shouting at each other (very polite pirates, it would seem). Dutch is growing more and more frustrated as the exchange continues.

Pirate captain: Do you have anything actually worth plundering?

Our captain: Not really, just some...

Dutch: Gold! Piles of gold and treasures from the orient! And you'll never get your scurvy hands on it, you dogs!!!!

Our captain: Oh, shit.

Dutch got her fight. ;)

Bill.

"Off topic to the thread, but maybe the new player would have a better time, and be up to speed faster, if someone actually helped them, instead of yelling at them and abusing them for making errors."

Hardly. Much fun was had by all. (Perhaps I overstated the drama a little.)

My post is general - your specific game may not have had a frustrated new player, but commonly that is the result. It depends on how much of this goes on, and how much more helpful feedback the player gets.

Besides' date=' there is somethin gto be said about encouraging a player into taking some initiative on her own - even if it's not the most strategic move - rather than garden-pathing her.[/quote']

The "buddy" has to be mature enough to help the new player, and provide options, without simply running the new player's character. But having a source for "dumb rule questions" that doesn't subject a new player to abuse by the group is generally important if you want the player to enjoy the experience. As well, my experience is that groups that are intolerant of little "errors" like Detect Danger when the danger is upon them aren't any more tolerant of poor tactical choices (such as firing off an NND at an automaton) or asking "stupid" questions (like "What about my NND" "NO, stupid, automatons don't take BOD.")

":rolleyes: heavy sigh :rolleyes: It's 3d6, the same as the last three times you asked" echoed by everyone around the table isn't providing positive reinforcement to the new player.

I'm taking your snippet very much out of context, of course, and your game specifically may not have this problem, but I see a lot of "elitest gamers" who are quite rude to those who aren't fully conversant with the same rules it took them many years to become fully proficient with.

At work, while between calls, a friend in the next cube over is enthused about a new game he's playing called Ancient Worlds.

"I'm conquering the Galaxy!

I mean... the planet!!...

I mean, this island here!..."

"Dude, that's England..."

"I've got it under control!!"

:rofl:

After one of our party rolled a critical fumble,

DM: "It has to be bad, but it has to be entertaining as well."

Another line, earlier in the same campaign.

My character, Bucky, (University professor in process of becoming Steven Strange-ish) "We don't actually NEED a large naked green girl. But it would help."