Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Heck, the Amazons were myth. Why not get the myth right?

(Yes, there were tribes of women warriors that were the basis of the myth. But they didn't call themselves Amazons.)

Amazon is an Ionian Greek bastardization of an Iranian/Persian Word to describe a class of warriors of the Scythian's (cavalry IIRC).

The "Amazon as a people" myth comes much later when Europe screws it up even further. Also introducing the extremely wrong etymology of the word Amazon to begin with.

So, the "Amazons" were not a myth at all. (at least, not from the Greek POV.)

Heck, the Amazons were myth. Why not get the myth right?

(Yes, there were tribes of women warriors that were the basis of the myth. But they didn't call themselves Amazons.)

Actually, as I understand it, the source of the myth is generally believed to be beardless Scythian and Mongolian tribes from around the Black Sea region. Archeological evidence suggests that women were allowed higher station than in Greek society (not hard to do aside from the Minoans) and some did fight in their wars. However, there's no historic evidence of breast removal that I've seen.

Amazon is an Ionian Greek bastardization of an Iranian/Persian Word to describe a class of warriors of the Scythian's (cavalry IIRC).

The "Amazon as a people" myth comes much later when Europe screws it up even further. Also introducing the extremely wrong etymology of the word Amazon to begin with.

So, the "Amazons" were not a myth at all.

How much later are you talking about? Homer and other classical age Greek writers wrote about the Amazons as a people, including several stories about their queen.

The breast removal thing was part of the myth, which was a distortion of the truth. Greek myth said that Amazons were incredible bowmen (bowpersons?) which matched the links to the Scythians. Using a Greek style bow the way the Greeks did (Pulling to the center of the chest) would be impossible for a well endowed woman as the Amazons were said to be. So, they must have...

Actually, they used shortbows and pulled to the eye, like a modern bowman. And they weren't 'well endowed' like the Greeks portrayed them. No one was. Which causes much fewer problems.

So, anywho, we have the myth (wrong) and the reality.

Back to topic.

Battletech campaign. I found myself going one on one with my 45 ton Phoenix Hawk against a 80 ton Awesome. Out gunned, outarmored, and this guy kept on beating me in initiative rolls, so I couldn't get behind him. Every turn, we'd trade fire. He had trouble hitting me, but my hits were hardly scratching his armor. And after every salvo, he'd broadcast over the radio: "I'm not impressed". It was getting annoying. He's crippled my mech, I can't run, another solid hit and I'm going down, when I got lucky. I hit his head with both my large laser and my medium, killing him instantly. And my response...

"Now are you impressed?"

How much later are you talking about? Homer and other classical age Greek writers wrote about the Amazons as a people' date=' including several stories about their queen.[/quote']

This was a while ago mind, and I'm not credited historian - but when I was researching Persia and surrounding area it was noted that historically a lot of references were to warrior-classes because many interactions were between armies - it doesn't help that the Ionian's mangled the Persian word with their accent from the start and may also have misunderstood that the word referred to the cavalry and not the people themselves. History gets a little fuzzy around the edges sometimes as well as to who actually was where doing what. . .

The European mangling also references the extremely weird etymology of the word amazon to mean "without breast" or some such silly reference - which is wholly false no matter how you look at it.

See, this is why I don't let myths and/or reality get in the way of my gaming. If I want big-breasted butt-kicking Amazon warriors in my game, then I'm gonna have big-breasted butt-kicking Amazon warriors in my game!

Battletech campaign. I found myself going one on one with my 45 ton Phoenix Hawk against a 80 ton Awesome. Out gunned, outarmored, and this guy kept on beating me in initiative rolls, so I couldn't get behind him. Every turn, we'd trade fire. He had trouble hitting me, but my hits were hardly scratching his armor. And after every salvo, he'd broadcast over the radio: "I'm not impressed". It was getting annoying. He's crippled my mech, I can't run, another solid hit and I'm going down, when I got lucky. I hit his head with both my large laser and my medium, killing him instantly. And my response...

"Now are you impressed?"

heee... I love Battletech stories.

Reminded of the time I managed to down a Battlemaster in my 20-ton Locust.

From that point forward I referred to the Locust as an Assault Mech. . . (The Lance Captain in his Marauder was not amused)

This was a while ago mind, and I'm not credited historian - but when I was researching Persia and surrounding area it was noted that historically a lot of references were to warrior-classes because many interactions were between armies - it doesn't help that the Ionian's mangled the Persian word with their accent from the start and may also have misunderstood that the word referred to the cavalry and not the people themselves. History gets a little fuzzy around the edges sometimes as well as to who actually was where doing what. . .

The European mangling also references the extremely weird etymology of the word amazon to mean "without breast" or some such silly reference - which is wholly false no matter how you look at it.

Oh, sure, I have no arguments about the etiology of the word being all FUBAR. I was just wondering about their not being viewed "as a people" until later. Technically, classical age Greece was several centuries after the Trojan war, so could count as 'much later'. I just wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if you were talking even later.

See' date=' this is why I don't let myths and/or reality get in the way of my gaming. If I want big-breasted butt-kicking Amazon warriors in my game, then I'm gonna have big-breasted butt-kicking Amazon warriors in [u']my[/u] game!

I fully agree. In fact, I'm running a Mythical Greek campaign right now and one of the characters is an Amazonian. Unless there's something the player hasn't told me, she still has both breasts as far as I know. How buxom she is hasn't come up yet.

These quotes are from my Vigilance Teen Champions Game

On Christmas Eve, Prestige gets turned into a Reindeer, (Well, Body Switched with Dasher, who was also very unhappy)

Dasher: Look, you gotta help me. I'm getting more girly by the second!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------

Plastron: Silver Sentinel, could you fly up to the roof and let Prestige in?

Silver Sentinel: Of course I shall! I shall gladly allow this reindeer to enter our domicile!

Plastron: (Private radio message) Sarah, laugh, and that car your father is letting you put together? You'll never drive it.

Silver Sentinel: (Activating silence field over mask) Sure!

Openly

Silver Sentinel: Enter our base, Prestige.

Prestige: Activate the security code! I don't have any thumbs!!!!!

Silver Sentinel: Oh, right.

Silver Sentinel: Privately, under the silent mask.

HAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA! Gawd, that's so funny!

---------------------------------------------------

Prestige: Could someone unchain me from this sled?

Dasher: I think I know how to do it from this side.

Prestige: COULD SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A REINDEER IN MY BODY UNCHAIN ME FROM THIS SLED!!!!!

----------------------------------------------

Donner: Hey, Blitzen! You landed okay!

Blitzen: Yeah! It was pretty awesome!

The Knight (OOC): Blitzen's not the brightest bulb in the display, is he?

Oh' date=' sure, I have no arguments about the etiology of the word being all FUBAR. I was just wondering about their not being viewed "as a people" until later. Technically, classical age Greece was several centuries after the Trojan war, so could count as 'much later'. I just wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if you were talking even later.[/quote']

Most of my sources are post Rome translations of Greek Texts... so, both earlier and later?

From that point forward I referred to the Locust as an Assault Mech. . . (The Lance Captain in his Marauder was not amused)

...machine gun to the center torso, crit hit for 3...

...all engine...

Only hit the Warhammer took in the battle...

The only Battletech story I have belongs in the Darwin Awards.

BTW, never, ever put any ammo in the Center Torso. Period.

I take it back, there's always the story of the Unobtainium parasol...

...machine gun to the center torso, crit hit for 3...

...all engine...

Only hit the Warhammer took in the battle...

Oooh... the salvage... *drooling sounds*

Ages ago in a similar battle. 2nd round of the combat, landed a 30 ton Mech with jump jets on the head of a 95 ton custom unit called a HoneyBadger, taking it out. Then got tagged and well plastered by an Archer that had been laying back, forced me to punch out of my mech before it went up.

Me, as I fly out of the cockpit: , what a ride!

I dunno, maybe we need another thread for Battletech stories of unlikely kills.

Here's mine, which happened to my best friend. He was in a tournament, playing a Locust (naturally!) up against a much MUCH bigger Mech (what else!). He opted for a charge attack, and managed to knock his opponent off a cliff.

The big Mech landed. On its head. Fair amount of damage done to that location, but the Pilot was OK and the Mech still able to fight. Then the Player failed his Piloting roll for getting that Mech to stand up.

The big Mech fell down. Again. On its head. Again.

It did not get up after that.

Famous Last Words: Battletech edition.

Enemy (NPC) Warhammer fires everything at a (PC) Hunchback pilot, at range 2.

GM: Two PPCs... miss. SRM6... miss. Two medium lasers... miss. Two small lasers... miss. Two machine guns...

Hunchback Pilot, in mock terror: "Oh, no, not the machine guns!"

GM: Hit, critical, location... head. Cockpit.

Hunchback pilot survived, heavily wounded. Never again mocked machine guns.

And now we come to our new WWII Campaign, which we've been running a bit as an alternative to our modern champs game. A little lighter on the points (225), with a entirely new set of characters:

American Agent: He's a skillmonkey with a couple of nasty Ego-based tricks up his sleeve.

Lady Liberty: She has a mental killing attack. 'Nuff said.

The Professor: Imagine Professor Farnsworth in WWII. About like that, really.

U.S. Steel: An uneducated- but not unintelligent- high steel worker. Tricksy brick. Prefers his real name and rank- Pvt. Murray Coleman, and is pretty much the only guy on the team who does, apparently.

American Express: Yes. Seriously. He's a teleporting speedster. We don't leave home without him (because he's our CO).

The Sentinel: A Martial Artist who is telepathically bonded to his cape. The trick? It's also a radar array.

Best out-of-context:

GM: Polly want a blitzkrieg.

After listening to the GM do really bad German accents, one of the players notes that:

American Express (OOC): [in character] Some of us know German.

U.S. Steel (OOC): Not the GM.

The GM, trying to explain to American Agent what he's getting over his Mental Awarness what has Discriminatory, Analyze and Targeting:

GM: But [the minds] are kind of... funky.

American Agent: Like how?

GM: Like... Not quite human, but almost.

The Professor (OOC): They're lawyers.

Locust vs. Battlemaster:

Locust got behind Battlemaster, scored a lucky critical in the SRM6 ammo, and the Battlemaster blew up.

Locust pilot, now thinking he's invincible, charges a Warhammer. Warhammer hits locust with two PPC's in the center torso, Locust dies.

GM gives Locust player bonus points for his next character for being amusing.

Since someone PM'ed me about the unobtainium parasol...

In a fairly large battle, my Phoenix Hawk got caught in the open by a Battlemaster. I potshotted him with the large laser, and cringed waiting for the return fire. One of my friends says, "Wait a minute!" He mimes pulling out a miniature umbrella (like you'd find in a mixed drink :drink:), opening it up, and handing it to me. "Here, you'll need this!" With nothing to loose, I mime taking it and holding it out against the oncoming fire.

Which all misses! :nonp:

Sure, the Battlemaster got me next turn, but the legend of the Unobtainium Parasol lives on...

The original Locust - I don't care what the books say - were Assault Mechs.

At least, every single Locust Pilot I've ever met acted like they were. . .

Especially if they fitted a pair of JJs on 'em. Nothing like a 20-ton DFA.

I caught a hovertank with that once. I don't think they expected the thing to hop. . . You'd think the green googly frog-eyes painted on the top would tip 'em off.