Comeliness: Yay, nay or indifferent

nexus

Re: Comeliness: Yay, nay or indifferent

I like it as is, although I would not be terribly upset if it were reflected with a Perk instead. Either way, I think it represents a useful ability.

I would also like to see some official uses for COM, such as complimentary Skill roll bonuses to interactive Skills such as Seduction and Bureaucratics.

Keep. I like that there is a stat that has so little effect on game play that the few points going to it are for pure characterization. It's a reliable indicator to tell the role players from the rules mechanics.

I don't see a need to change it, and it does keep the number of primary stats even. On the other hand, I'm not married to it and have toyed with the idea of making it a perk. As it is, its too much trouble and I try to keep my list of house rules to a minimum.

I like it as is, although I would not be terribly upset if it were reflected with a Perk instead. Either way, I think it represents a useful ability.

I would also like to see some official uses for COM, such as complimentary Skill roll bonuses to interactive Skills such as Seduction and Bureaucratics.

That's pretty much my position as well. BTW 5E does suggest a Complimentary Skill bonus to Interaction Skills from COM rolls as an option, but doesn't go into detail. Perhaps The Ultimate Skill will explore that more.

Like lots of folks here, I've devised my own house rules for Comeliness to give it more utility, and to create a detriment to buying it back. I wanted to work as much as possible within the precedent of present (and past) HERO rules, and make as little change as necessary to existing character writeups.

In my approach, each point of COM above 10 adds one point to a character's Presence score for purposes of Presence Attacks which are not based on fear, i.e. that distract, persuade or inspire. That increase to PRE also applies to calculating the Skill Roll for Interaction Skills when the GM decides that physical attractiveness would be appropriate. Conversely, each point of COM below 10 would subtract one point of PRE from a character's score for the same purposes, under the same circumstances.

This makes Comeliness function like a Limited form of Presence, with the distinction of also affecting a character negatively if the Characteristic is bought back. Essentially a character would have two PRE scores, applicable based on the situation. In practice I've found that using COM this way has virtually no effect on combat (except possibly in a limited "rally the troops" fashion), but can have a significant impact on noncombat situations.

I would also like to see some official uses for COM' date=' such as complimentary Skill roll bonuses to interactive Skills such as Seduction and Bureaucratics.[/quote']

It already is.

Put me in the "It should work like a perk" column.

I like the COM as it is. Keep it. Use it. Love it. It is what it is, and I've never had a problem with it.

AS A SIDE NOTE: I don't have my books on me, right now, but I remember being disappointed with the COM of a few of the supposedly hideous NPC villains in the game... like the Monster, for instance. Shouldn't character like the Monster, by definition, have Negative Comliness?

Keep it.

Sure some people make it their dump stat, but even they won't go too low or risk the indignity of mouthy NPCs telling them that they are ugly.

If you were going to drop it, or turn it into a perk, why not make it a talent instead? It could work a bit like the "Double Jointed" talent, giving the character bonuses to certain skills under certain circumstances, say Persuasion or Seduction for the attractive and Interrogation or Persuasion attempts based on intimidation for the ugly. Distinctive Features also fits.

I use negative comliness for alot of horror game monsters, couldn't do without it. An NPC with negative comliness is a player favorite in my Star Hero game. "DOX IS SCARY!"

Sure some people make it their dump stat, but even they won't go too low or risk the indignity of mouthy NPCs telling them that they are ugly.

I can't speak for others, but I never use COM as a "dump stat." It's an insurance program, savings account and heroic ability all in one. Let me explain. Whenever I make a character, the first thing I do is buy their COM to 20 (or higher, if "good looking" is part of the character concept). Then I make the rest of the character. Should I, toward finishing up the character, come up a point or three short of some Skill or Perk necessary to the character's concept, I can fall back and drop some of that COM. Should I not, then blammo! I have an awesome looking character.