What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

This was from one of the few soundtracks that I've had in vinyl, cassette, and CD. The cassette is around here somewhere (probably next to the Moonlighting cassette), but I was extremely bad with LPs when I was younger*, and it's long gone.

Andy Summers performing the "Theme from 2010".

*Vinyl stays pristine in my house right now, only because I never got around to hooking up my late wife's Technics turntable.

Three songs I've heard in the last day or two.

First:  "She's Getting Hysterical" by Rocket Scientists (from last year's album Refuel)

Great song, but Mark seriously needs to shave off that creepy Seneca Crane beard.

This works on so many levels -- satire of overly pretentious rock operas and "concept albums", a collection of jokes overt and subtle, and as a great piece of rock music in its own right. Jethro Tull has been mocked by a great many people, especially after the Grammy fiasco in the '90s, but Ian Anderson remains one of the "art-rock" genre's great songwriters.

Parents should love this. It's from an album called Preschool Popstars.  Although ostensibly an educational album for kids, it also says something to parents and teachers who have to deal with the solipsism of children who don't know where food comes from -- and who really believe they are the center of the universe.