What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Filk pioneer Leslie Fish is contradictory in many ways. Her politics make Rage Against the Machine look like conservatives, and she regularly wrote songs about rising up and killing the rich and powerful. Yet she is noted as much for her adaptations to music of the poetry of Rudyard Kipling as for anything else she has ever done. The songs are still very popular in filk circles.

This is one of the most-performed examples.

I was surprised to realize that the verses to "Rimini" scan perfectly to the verses (but not the chorus) of "Piano Man".

I was just reminded of this song from my high school days thanks to some ads on The CW. Now I am enjoying it once again. 

I thought about posting it in the 'songs we dislike' thread because I know many people who dislike the repetitive nature of this song. 

La Rose. 

Brad Paisley's "Celebrity", featuring Jason Alexander and William Shatner:

So let's hitch up the wagons and head out west

To the land of the fun and the sun

We'll be Real World Bachelor Jackass Millionaires

Hey, hey Hollywood, here we come!

Pure distilled awesome.

This was originally the climactic number in the Kurt Weill musical Lady in the Dark, which in 1941 made Danny Kaye a star on Broadway. It's rarely produced now because it requires a comedian as talented as Kaye (and in similar ways) for much of the show to work. But Kaye did not appear in the 1944 film, even though by then he was a major box-office draw, because his openly-gay character was essentially written out at the behest of the Hays Commission.

"The Saga of Jenny" was left in the film, despite being very risque (as the whole show was, when you come down to it), as it was sung by the female lead -- who was trying to justify stringing along her publisher who had divorced his wife in hopes of marrying her.