What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Going through some of the jazz stuff in my CD collection.  Right now it's the disk "Blue John" from "Big" John Patton, originally recorded in 1963, and I picked up a copy of a 25th anniversary CD version in 1989.  Though a few cuts seem to be available on YouTube (the title cut; "Hot Sauce"; "Nicety") the whole disk doesn't seem to exist there.  This is one of only a couple of disks where I heard it in a store, listened for 15 minutes or so, and then bought it without playing the whole thing through.

On Air by Alan Parsons. One of the "solo" albums after he separated from the other half of the Project, it was released in both stereo and a 5.1 DTS CD*. I prefer the 5.1 mix, as the standard stereo mix gets a little muddled in places.

*For tech nerds, home DTS sound sources on CD and DVD are actually based upon 2 channel audio, with a special encoding that gets translated into the 5.1 mix by a DTS decoder. It's possible to take a DTS CD, and use a standard ripping program, so long as the result is saved as lossless, it can then be played back if sent to a decoder as the exact bitstream.