Identifying Quotes, favorite sayings, and battle cries

Hermit

Yup...

As Marcus pointed out my own predilection for wisecracks here's a few from my PC and others...

Velocity to Party: "So we're flying there in a Quinjet huh?! Hell, why not increase our chances of crashing even more by painting a big "X" on our plane! Jeez!"

Velocity following a villian speedster breaking off with a stolen piece of experimental metal after she moves to NCM's and Velocity goes to his mega-scale surface flight: "Well....in that case...let's break some laws of physics."

Titan, son of Hercules, and played by a friend who has more fun with his brick than anyone should have a right to after closing in Haymaker range with a White Saturnian/Martian: "Nay villian....prepare yourself. RECiEVE THE GIFT!"

More to follow....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...let's see...

DEFENDER (2018): Well, in the early days, his unofficial battlecry was: "All right team, let's...uh, team?" (We were a little uncoordinated at first. Also a little unused to 5th ed.'s lower defenses and more frequent attacks.)

Later though...

TELEIOS (to a group of cowering civilians): "How pathetic! You are entirely unfit! Entirely unworthy! Entirely unsuitable!"

Then, from above: "But not entirely UNDEFENDED!!!!"

The Perfect Man looks up just in time to face-block Defender's Move-Through. In the aftermath:

SILVER AVENGER RAMIREZ: "PRIMUS! Everyone remain calm! Where's Teleios the Perfect Man?"

LITTLE KID (from the crowd of civilians): "Defender just cleaned his Perfect Clock!"

Heartseeker, being a ninja, doesn't really go in for battlecries. Neither does Eternia, being an underconfident escapee from Teleios' lab. Radar Rider's radiowave-control powers include a Change Environment that lets him blast the music of his choice from every speaker within 128 hexes, so he expresses himself that way. As he puts it: "Amplifiers speak louder than words!"

Usually, he plays his own theme song, "Radar Rider" by Riggs from the soundtrack to the movie "Heavy Metal" (chorus: "Radar...radar...radar...R-R-R-RIder!"). Once, the Crowns of Krim were certain they'd seen the last of those pesky do-gooder's, when suddenly the Alleluia chorus of Handel's "Messiah" (at volume level eleven, of course) hit them from every direction as we sprang our ambush. The GM ruled that their "Susceptibility to holy objects and places" wasn't technically being trigged, but did rule that it constituted a highly effective Presence attack.

And of course, after our initial team debut mission, as we victoriously if wearily emerged from the dust and smoke of the villains' HQ, there was a reporter on scene, narrating into her microphone: "And the threat appears to have been subdued. Those responsible for this heroic rescue are coming into view now...they remain as yet unidentified..."

And Radar Rider couldn't pass up a cue like that. He gestured casually, and all speakers within earshot began to emit the immortal sounds of Queen: "Weeee...are the Champions, my fri-ends..."

As for Marchwarden, his quotes aren't precisely original. When asked why he wanted to join the team:

"Because, as is said among my kindred, there is truly no such thing as a Last Alliance."

When battling the minions of Krim, his bowshots are accompanied by cries of "Aure entuluva!" (Day shall come again!)

When we thought Eternia was dead: "Mornie...alantie..." (Darkness...has fallen...)

And occasionally, the always-popular "A Elbereth Gilthoniel!"

Needless to say, his claims of being "from New Zealand" are less than convincing.

in this one batman is facing a punk whose holding an old lady at gun point..

-punk "BACK OFF MAN!!! BACK OFF OR ILL SHOOT!!!"

-BATMAN "if you arm one hair on her i'll make you pay..

ill break and twist things within you, you cannot conceive of the pain i can cause. your pain will last fore ever...'cause i wont let you die......"

From Reading SpiderGirl:

All of the heros are getting together to fight the big baddie when Spidergirl's cell phone goes off.

Peter Parker is telling her to come home and NOT get involved...

SG: But, dad, I got a responsibility to...

PP: Don't give me the responsibility shtick! I invented the responsibility shtick.

An Aquaman rip-off's favourite catch phrase: (in "dumb" voice) "I can talk to fish."

Used about once a session, usually when something technical/scientific has to be done.

Memorable quote from same character, facing a "Dr Evil" type mastermind:

"In my experience, sharks don't LIKE having frickin' lasers on their heads."

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Gee "St Barbara" doesn't really have a battle cry. Maybe I should think one up. What's the Danish for "Oh Hell ! What have we gotten into NOW !" ? The closest I came was during an incident when "St B" had a part time job at a university and was helping a professor by photocopying his papers for an upcoming exam. One of the students faked an accident and, while Pia ("St B"s" real name) was trying to help him, someone made off with the exam papers. "St Barbara" saw this and took off (in civvies, a skirt and blouse), flying OVER the building to confront the thief.As she came in to a landing infront of him, complete with rooster tail of multi coloured flame (her flight special effect) she said, in a very civil voice "I'll have those papers back now, if you please !" The ref and I both got a laugh out of that one as few people realized at that time, that she had super powers, even though she doesn't wear a mask !

The immortal words of Sledge Hammer:

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

An effectice pressence attack with an illusion of flaming gates opening:

Surrender or I'll kick you through the gates of Hell

From Green Lantern:

Quit your complaing. Lotsa people who would pay good money to be beaten to a pulp by eight amazom women.

Chee. Your head is just like a rubber ball. It bounces up an' down.

From JLA:

boxing glove arrow?

Justice League cartoon:

Not while I'm standing.

Since people have been mentioning quotes from shows...

Tick Animated: "You can't destroy the Earth...I keep all my stuff there!"

Tick Live Action, Batmanuel: "Once again, one of the great urban legends has been dispelled...ninjas don't bounce."

B:TAS has too many good ones to keep this post concise...a few favorite Joker/Harley Quinn bits:

(after Bats clobbers the Joker's hyenas, Bud and Lou):

Joker: "Hey, I don't beat up your kids...on second thought, yes I do."

Bullock: "Don't I know you?"

Quinn (disguised as defense attorney): "I served you a subpoena...it was a very small subpoena."

Real life...

From my misspent and occasionally dangerous youth...

SCENE: Me lying on the ground, bleeding, with a 4 inch knife between my ribs...

Jackass who put it there confronted by a buddy of mine with more muscle, skill and common sense.

Jackass: F#&* you man, I'll put a bullet in you!

Buddy: Do you have your gun?

Jackass: It's in my F#&* car...

Buddy: What makes you think you'll make it to your car...

Needless to say even through the shock and pain it was fun to watch the next few moments of that encounter.

Morale of the story: Never assume just because you're fighting 'fair' everyone else is....

Originally posted by st barbara

Gee "St Barbara" doesn't really have a battle cry. Maybe I should think one up. What's the Danish for "Oh Hell ! What have we gotten into NOW !" ?

Hey, I know some Danes and can get that for you!

One of my all time favorties comes from the Byrne run on the Fantastic Four. The Thing versus Terrax (after being revived by Doom).

The Thing: Now nuthin' baldy! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a super-goon a makin' speeches!

A close second has to be virtually all of Mongul's lines from the Superman annual "For The Man Who Has Everything" written by Alan Moore and drawn by Dave Gibbons (before WATCHMEN). The comic is packed away, so let me paraphrase:

Mongul: I understand distinctions on this planet are made according to age and gender. So to be polite, which of you should I kill first?

Mongul: Is that a neural impactor? Do they still make those? You should use the plasma projector, it's lighter, more of a woman's weapon.

Oh, and Superman gets mad:

Supes: Burn. (insert heat vision here)

• 8 years later...

Re: Not sure...

... where it came from, but it goes something like:

"I know a hundred ways to make you regret that. Pick a number..."

I don't know why, but its between Gambit or Hancock...I think... (sorry for misspelling, I'm bit tried.)

Re: Identifying Quotes, favorite sayings, and battle cries

The Vigilante' date=' DCU: "I am all the men you murdered. I am all the innocent that you made suffer. I am your judge. I am your jury. And I will be your executioner. I am the face of justice, no longer blind."[/quote']

The executioner had a similar line in the start of one of his books.

I am not their judge, I am their judgement. I am their executioner.

CES