Identifying Quotes, favorite sayings, and battle cries

Hermit

Catacomb, that is definitely one of my two all-time favorite lines from Thor. The other was not quite so low key, though.;)

Way back when Count Nefaria first acquired his awesome super powers, he attacked and succeeded in defeating most of the Avengers, and planned to kill them while they lay unconscious. Suddenly lightning bolts erupt around him. The next panel is a panoramic view over Nefaria's shoulder of Thor, lightning blazing, cape swirling in the wind, face contorted in rage, hurling his hammer straight at the Count's face as he shouts: "THOU HAST DARED MUCH, VILLAIN... AND VERILY, THINE HOUR OF JUDGEMENT IS AT HAND!"

Probably the best Presence Attack I've ever seen - gave me goosebumps. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Stephen Mann

"Let's get dangerous"

and

"I am the Terror that flaps in the night!"

YES! Darkwing Duck rules! :D I'd been hoping someone would bring him up.

Along a couple of other, similar lines:

"Cowabunga!"

or

"Let's consult the Hong Kong Book of Kung Fu...."

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Catacomb, that is definitely one of my two all-time favorite lines from Thor. The other was not quite so low key, though.;)

Way back when Count Nefaria first acquired his awesome super powers, he attacked and succeeded in defeating most of the Avengers, and planned to kill them while they lay unconscious. Suddenly lightning bolts erupt around him. The next panel is a panoramic view over Nefaria's shoulder of Thor, lightning blazing, cape swirling in the wind, face contorted in rage, hurling his hammer straight at the Count's face as he shouts: "THOU HAST DARED MUCH, VILLAIN... AND VERILY, THINE HOUR OF JUDGEMENT IS AT HAND!"

Probably the best Presence Attack I've ever seen - gave me goosebumps. :)

Yeah...cool...I soooo remember that one. You know, every time I see the Thor vs. Superman thread I think 'Yeah it would be close, until Supes pissed off Thor and then...'. Everyone seems to forget that there are two levels of Thor.

1) The Thor who plays with kid gloves and gives all mortals a chance to actually live against him.

2) The Thor who gets pissed, and I'm not talking 'I say thee nay' pissed. I'm talking when Crusher Creel had almost killed one of the Warriors Three pissed. I'm talkin Thor taking it to Thanos pissed. I'm talking Thor dismantleing Ultron pissed. The kind of angry I remember seeing in him maybe 10 or 11 times in comic history. Against that guy Supes is toast.

Anyway sorry to bring that thread here, but you had my blood pumping with pimpy Thor quotes.

Quite a few years back there was a scene where Ghost Rider had gone berserk, he had either knocked out of paralyzed with fear all of the Avengers except for Cap, who kept moving in spite of his fear, and.....Thor. When Thor was blasted by the hell fire instead of being frozen with fear he strides forward through the flames and says...

"I have trod the frozen plains of nifflehiem...the cold of your fire will avial thee nought" throws mjolnir.....smack!:cool:

Originally posted by Catacomb

Yeah...cool...I soooo remember that one. You know, every time I see the Thor vs. Superman thread I think 'Yeah it would be close, until Supes pissed off Thor and then...'. Everyone seems to forget that there are two levels of Thor.

1) The Thor who plays with kid gloves and gives all mortals a chance to actually live against him.

2) The Thor who gets pissed, and I'm not talking 'I say thee nay' pissed. I'm talking when Crusher Creel had almost killed one of the Warriors Three pissed. I'm talkin Thor taking it to Thanos pissed. I'm talking Thor dismantleing Ultron pissed. The kind of angry I remember seeing in him maybe 10 or 11 times in comic history. Against that guy Supes is toast.

Anyway sorry to bring that thread here, but you had my blood pumping with pimpy Thor quotes.

Heh. I think Catacomb is right. However, I doubt Supes would bring that out of him.

Hmm, though it does remind me of all the times Hercules would give Thor "The Gift". :)

Well, the opposite side of Thor "getting pissed" is Superman when innocent lives are on the line. That's when Supes discards all restraint, digs down deep and throws his heart and soul into the fight. I've only seen that happen a few times over the years, too, and it's a terrible sight. :eek:

However, lemming has a point; neither party is likely to bring that out of the other when up against each other, so we're back to square one. :rolleyes:

Superman is still only a 'terrestrial'(I use the word loosely) hero though. Thor is brought in to fight the likes of Thanos, The Celestials, and other cosmic entities. His power is so incredible that there is not set way to describe his powers. He also uses one of Supes' two weaknesses...magic,and he's also been fighting for thousands of years so his combat prowess isn't even matched by the likes of Captain America or Wolverine. Is he as fast as superman in a fight? This is truly the only advantage Superman has over Thor, but when you have a area of effect attack that can drop a Celestial then I'm thinking you could drop Supes as well. Superman is very powerful yes, but Thor is unbeatable when he takes an opponent seriously and doesn't have some dimensional shift disease(Like when he fought Juggernaught.) Speaking of the fight with Juggernaught can Supes breathe in space(It's been awhile since I've read Superman comics and I don't know what his current power level is.)? If not then the same strat would work...transport Supes into deep space and game over.

Yep, Superman can survive indefinitely without breathing - his power has been growing in recent years. As far as gods go, Superman just recently took on Darkseid, one-on-one, with no gimmicks or backup for either party, only personal power. And Superman beat him. It was a vicious fight, but in the end it was Darkseid on the ground bleeding, Superman standing over him.

And that's exactly why searching for precedents in the comics to support "who beats who" is so frustrating: it all depends on what a given writer wants to have happen. Catacomb, you're obviously a Thor booster, and more power to you - he happens to be my favorite hero, so I can't fault your taste. :) But looking over all the stories featuring Thor and Superman over the years, I could readily believe that either one could take the other on a good day.

Well personally I was never a big avengers fan or cared one way or another about Thor. Their power levels were so dang high and I was partial to the Batman and Spider-man types. I did collect the Hulk for a while though and he was on their power level. Anyways I remember one Avenger's issue when they went off on some "Galatic Storm" series (this was when Desert Storm was going on by the way) and the version of Thor then was some human that wasn't really Thor but had his powers volunteered to fight Gladiator.

Gladiator for those of you who don't know is the purple Shiar alien(I think) with the red suit. He's a big time bad @$$, and this was why Thor said "I'll go fight him". Thor then proceded to get his butt kicked across the planet they were fighting on. Near the end of the fight Thor is laying on his back wondering what to do next when he sees this lightning bolt team-mate flying alongside Captain Marvel and says to himself "Hey I can control all lightning! I'm such an idiot!" He then controls his lightning team-mate to fly into Gladiatior and knock him out. That was classic.

Another favorite fight I know of involving Thor was when the goverment wanted to kill Hulk and Thor once again volunteered to do it. Well when it looked like Thor was going to be the one dieing the military dropped a nuke on the two heros. They both survived and boy were they ticked off at the Pentagon. Can't really says as I blame them.;)

My last and favorite Thor fight was with good ol Spidey. Spidey knows he's in trouble and has to either run away or end the fight quickly. When Thor chucked his hammer at Spidey he missed of course and Spidey then proceded to use his web shooters to keep redirecting Thor's hammer away from him forcing Thor to keep recalling his hammer to him. As many of you Thor fans might see where this is going Thor didn't have much else he could do against Spider-man and after going a full minute without his hammer he turned back into his secret ID and became a normal again. Then Spidey hopped over and webbed him up so they could resolve the conflict more civil like.

Now admittedly as someone earlier in this post pointed out these fights always depend on who's writing them and in the Marvel universe a character's popularity is the ultimate factor in determining who will win the fight regardless of who's fighting or what powers they have at their disposal. Anyways those were my favorite Thor moments in comic book history. I also enjoyed one Avenger's issue when Thor's buddy Hercules got beat into a coma by the supervillian Goliath. Thor went to the hospital, payed his respects and then hunted down Goliath while he was bragging about being a "God-Slayer". Thor said something like "Thoust fancies thyself a god-slayer eh?!" "Well come and try to slay me then giant!" Thor then proceeded to beat the snot out of Goliath, guess Thor learned how to kill giants at some point in his life, because it was a one-sided @$$ kicking :D;) .

The way I always remember Thor came from the Secret Wars. There was a big ole storm going on and everyone was inside quaking in their booties that their base might be destroyed, Storm was trying to mitigate the worst damage and clearly losing on her last power reserves (back when the X-Men were insufferably cool), and then you see Thor on the roof outside like he was standing in a bathroom shower having the time of his life because y'know, Storm is just a mortal who used to claim she was a goddess, Thor is the real thing.

Originally posted by WilyQuixote

Well personally I was never a big avengers fan or cared one way or another about Thor. Their power levels were so dang high and I was partial to the Batman and Spider-man types. I did collect the Hulk for a while though and he was on their power level. Anyways I remember one Avenger's issue when they went off on some "Galatic Storm" series (this was when Desert Storm was going on by the way) and the version of Thor then was some human that wasn't really Thor but had his powers volunteered to fight Gladiator.

Gladiator for those of you who don't know is the purple Shiar alien(I think) with the red suit. He's a big time bad @$$, and this was why Thor said "I'll go fight him". Thor then proceded to get his butt kicked across the planet they were fighting on. Near the end of the fight Thor is laying on his back wondering what to do next when he sees this lightning bolt team-mate flying alongside Captain Marvel and says to himself "Hey I can control all lightning! I'm such an idiot!" He then controls his lightning team-mate to fly into Gladiatior and knock him out. That was classic.

Yup that's when Thor wasn't Thor, but Eric Masterson who later became known as Thunderstrike. He had no idea how to use the powers at his disposal correctly.

During the short period where I actually started picking up comics on a regular basis...

A-Next.

All of the "new" Avengers were chained to the wall (except Mainframe) and helpless when a huge hole gets blasted in the exterior wall. There stands Mainframe with a handful of other heroes the team has encountered saying:

"Can the bad guys come out and play?"

From players in my game:

(already rolled two dice, about to roll the third) "Only a six will hurt me now."

(When the players are running out of ideas or bored) "We go to Paris, France."

(Facing off against her Hunted) "He's MINE!" (just before she got blasted into unconsciousness)

I think Avengers Assemble has the edge on quotes.

As for Thor, I am always reminded of the time he took down Kang without touching him. Kang saw who he was facing and then kept saying 'It's Thor need more power !'

Thor said something along the lines of 'Verily mortal I fear thy overstretch thyself' and Kang blows up. Pure presence, no fancy speeches.

One of the other quotes I can remember offhand is when Sinister sends his killers into the sewers to kill the Morlocks and Scrambler touches Storm telling her 'And now your powers are neutralized'. She promptly slugs him saying 'A pity I have none'.

In a previous issue they had been taken away by a neutralizer device of Forge.

Living Steel had some great buttons (badges) with all sorts of great quotes on them.

'If kill you and you kill me, who's going to be left to kill them ?'

'Today is election day. We encourage all citizens to vote no with the weapon of their choice'

'Heigh Ho ! Heigh Ho !

It's to the games we go !

With razor blades and hand grenades,

Heigh Ho ! Heigh Ho !'

And there are many more where those came from.

I hope I just missed it in this thread somewhere but how is it possible everyone forgot the greatest battle cry of all time....

"It's CLOBBERIN' TIME!!!!"

-Ben Grimm, the ever lovin' blue eyed Thing.

The greatest brick (as far as the actual character is concerned) in comic history. I still wish they'd let him Kick both the Hulk and Blondy's asses.

Spoken by Darkseid to Orion in the "War of the Gods" series when New Genesis, led by Orion, had come to Apokolyps to have it out once and for all...

"If I truly am to meet Death this day, you shall herald my arrival with my bootprint firmly embedded into your buttocks!"

Spoken by Batman (in the Animated Series) to a gangster who was hanging upside down at a high-rise construction site.

"OK, scumbucket. Its just you, me, and 30 stories..."

Another good one from B:tAS. One of the Joker's henchmen is driving a UPS-like truck with Batman hanging on the the roof, trying to get him to stop. Being stupid, the bad-guy refuses to cooperate, so he weaves and crashes into things, trying to shake Bats off the van. Finally, Batman tosses his batrope on the steering wheel, pulls, and the truck flips onto its side. He dives off, and the driver is thrown while the truck crashes in a fireball. With the flames danching behind him, Batman walks up to the driver, hauls him up by the collar of neck, and says...

"Let's talk."

Yeah Batman got raw on occasion in the animated series. Mask of the Phantasm:

Joker: "Your going to kill us both"

Bat's: "Whatever it takes"

Batman Beyond:

Terry: "How'd you know that the voices weren't actually in your head?"

Bat's: "The Voice kept calling me Bruce."

Terry: "So?"

Bat's: "I don't call myself bruce."

Terry: "What do you call yourself then?"

Bat's: silence, and a knowing look at the cowl.....

Terry: "I'm batman now."

I could just Batman's Thought after that....as if your untrained ass was anything but my field puppet.