• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

No' date=' that's a quagmire of politics. Completely different.[/quote']

IIRC, the area where Washington was built was a malarial swamp before the city was constructed, and much of the surrounding area remained swampland for the next several decades. Washington was a non-desirable destination during that time and being there was considered bad for the health. The only reason it was constructed in the first place was that the Constitution specified a new city be built to be the capital. The apparent reason was so that it would be a place where Northerners and Southerners would both be "at home". Before the major public buildings were constructed the government ran from other cities, first New York and then Philadelphia. John Adams was the first President who had to move to Washington and he was not at all happy about living there.

When an engine looses a cylinder & piston' date=' it can be a bad thing. When that engine is in a [b']locomotive[/b], it can be a very bad thing...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41743[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41744[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41745[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41746[/ATTACH]

Ouch. At my work they had a spectacular example of mechanical failure put up on a plaque, with the caption "Words do not exist..." I believe it was some kind of engine armature, twisted like plasticine. The mechanic was suitably impressed.

IIRC' date=' the area where Washington was built was a malarial swamp before the city was constructed, and much of the surrounding area remained swampland for the next several decades. Washington was a non-desirable destination during that time and being there was considered bad for the health. The only reason it was constructed in the first place was that the Constitution specified a new city be built to be the capital. The apparent reason was so that it would be a place where Northerners and Southerners would both be "at home". Before the major public buildings were constructed the government ran from other cities, first New York and then Philadelphia. John Adams was the first President who had to move to Washington and he was not at all happy about living there.[/quote']

I don't know that the site was chosen because Northerners and Southerners would be "at home", especially since Maryland at the time was very much a Southern style state.

I have read that the site was chosen so that it would be cold in winter and hot in summer, and that it was located in a swamp so that it would be even less hospitable. It was supposed to be the kind of place no one would want to live in for years and years, just to go serve a few years in the government and go home to more comfortable surroundings after you've done your duty.

I don't know that the site was chosen because Northerners and Southerners would be "at home", especially since Maryland at the time was very much a Southern style state.

I have read that the site was chosen so that it would be cold in winter and hot in summer, and that it was located in a swamp so that it would be even less hospitable. It was supposed to be the kind of place no one would want to live in for years and years, just to go serve a few years in the government and go home to more comfortable surroundings after you've done your duty.

I find that idea to be an absurd minarchist fantasy. The real life reasons why and where someone builds a new capital are because

1. The established commercial interests of cities that already exist are hostile to giving their competitors in any other city the advantage of being close to government

2. The proposed new site is centrally located so that there will in theory be roughly equal travel times from the extreme fringes of the nation, or the major population centers, or both.

3. The proposed new site is in an undeveloped area and they hope that this will draw development there and that it will be cheap to get the land.

4. Influential people own low value land in the area, and would like to see their land values go up. (Which is of course closely related to the third consideration).

5. Someone has an inflated ego and wants to build a new city as a monument to it.

Washington is a town on the Potomac, the river with the second largest Atlantic watershed in the United States, at just about the highest point on the stream before the fall line. A canal built around the fall line brings water traffic to the doorstep of the Allegheny River, a tributary of the Ohio, via the Cumberland Gap. Almost adjacent to the original town at Georgetown, is the mouth of the Anacostia, a left bank tributary that rises near Gettysburg, PA. Gettysburg has a certain fame, and would have more if American history were long enough to feature more than two recorded land wars in the eastern seaboard because of its place on the (very low) water parting between the Potomac and the Susquehanna, the largest Atlantic watershed in the United States. The portage between the Potomac and the Susquehanna is on record as having been used by Iroquois fur brigades to bring New York (and northwards) pelts to sell to the English at Georgetown from 1628.

This rather important nexus of regional communication not surprisingly tempted Lord Fairfax to settle in the "Northern Neck" Of Virginia when he left England under mysterious circumstances in 1747. As one of the wealthiest and most distinguished citizens of the American colonies (another branch of the family had already settled in Massachusetts, but kept a much lower profile), Fairfax became a generous patron of distinguished young gentlemen.

Amongst the great landowners of the Northern Neck, with such a pressing interest in developing a city at this vital geographic node were George Washington, James Madison, James Monroe, and the Lees. Railroads ended up eclipsing Washington's dreams of commercial greatness, but the notion that the site was somehow poorly chosen is not correct.

I do find it interesting that it was erected adjacent to a "dark and dismal swamp," however. Here's three other cities of the Americas built in similar situations. (1, 2, 3).