• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

On 12/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I consider spirituality to have been largely lost to modern Western society, which has left us diminished and adrift in important ways. Even religion has become obsessed with observance of forms and practices, glossing over the experience of the divine that those practices are intended to inspire.

I know so. For the better part of the last 10 years, I have been researching this question along with related questions, such as how, why, what, and who. How is the modern world different from the pre-modern world? Why is the modern world different from the pre-modern world? What is the pre-modern worldview of things; how did they see/understand reality? Who is responsible for the transistion from the pre-modern world to the modern world; and for what purpose?

I have a medium sized library* (buying books > reading them) that has helped elucidate the answers to the above questions. ( *Log-man would be proud :D )

Two related and interesting questions is the revolution that took place at Vatican II and loss of the widespread learning of Latin.

On 12/11/2022 at 6:41 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Things like enlightenment, inner peace, higher purpose, are difficult to quantify or tally on a balance sheet.

These are not quantifiable, but are qualifiable, which is why they have been excluded from our scientific worldview. Enlightenment, inner peace, and higher purpose would be aspects of teleology (final causality); and teleology is another part we have largely lost to modernism. In Bacon's Advancement of Learning, he assigned teleology along with formal causality to metaphysics, which was dismissed by Auguste Comte. Without formal causality we have lost one of the basic "pillars" necessary for a transcendent foundation to support an intellectual spirituality. The other "pillar" supporting this would be the Universals.

Very cool. 👏

I remember hearing one cosmologist say that he believed the study of the nature of the Universe gives us insights into the mind of God. One example of how spirituality is not incompatible with a scientific worldview, so long as a specific doctrine of causality isn't placed in opposition to scientific evidence.

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

LL, I will respond, but might now be better to shift our conversation to a different thread. 

Can any mods move posts from one thread to another, or do we have to do it (manually)? 

Maybe converse or debate by private message, if you prefer?

Anyway, I woke up this morning with symptoms from my COVID booster vaccination, so I'm in no hurry. 🤒

On 12/14/2022 at 1:27 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Maybe converse or debate by private message, if you prefer?

Anyway, I woke up this morning with symptoms from my COVID booster vaccination, so I'm in no hurry. 🤒

Maybe we can pick it up in the new year as I'm a little busy until then. 

I think that has to be a cut and polished slice.  That meteorite is a pallasite, a stony-iron whose main constituents are nickel-iron and olivine; the olivine is translucent or transparent and the metal matrix obviously is not.  The original meteorite weight was about a metric ton.