WWYCD: Valdorian Age

Super Squirrel

Your character has somehow sent back in time to the Valdorian Age. From what you can tell, your character seems to be stuck in the past. You cannot access or use magic, divine powers are useless, and worst yet... all other superhuman powers seem to fail frequently.

Mechanics note: All powers of a superhuman nature would acquire a 13- Activation Roll.

Assume that you "appear" somewhere in Valdoria. What does your character do?

Re: WWYCD: Valdorian Age

My responses will assume that 'get back home' is not an option.

Starguard - *all* her powers are magic-based. She is now a powerless 18-year-old teenaged girl stuck in the middle of the Valdorian Age. Let's just skip over what happens here, OK? It won't be pleasant.

Dr. Pain -- is a brick. His powers should still be working. Even if they're not, he's still one of the largest and strongest people he knows, being a wrestler and all that. Time to learn how to swing a sword, I guess.

Baron von Darien -- the Valdorian Age still had vampires, IIRC, and all their powers still worked. So he's not impaired /at all/.

He's also extremely intelligent, experienced, good with a sword, and... aw, hell, if he wanted, he could probably take over the damn continent. :)

Been a long time since I read VA so I can't remember many setting specifics.

Uncle Slam would likely lose use of one (chi) power but otherwise have to deal with the activations. Flight, STR, and invulnerability on an activation would be a bit odd, so I think he'd be mostly functional. He would naturally try to find a way back to his world through quests of his own design that deal with any form of magical dimension hopping.

Anthem wouldn't know where to begin. I can't think of any power she has that would merit an activation, so she'd still have her powers, but I think she'd change outfits to blend in, carry out a few quests just to have money to survive (and to help the locals), and based on something I did for an alternate universe version of Anthem, I think she would take up magic and find she has an apititude that has been untapped all this time.

Audra Blue would take up the science of alchemy. She's had a knack for science, but here it would be even more important due to the fact that her computer interfaces and such would be utterly useless and because the cybernetics would slowly kill her without her anti-rejection drugs. But she'd manage with the right tutor and might even become this world's equivalent of her old self; a sage, holed up in her hut dispensing wisdom.

Ika: Too weird to understand vs too weird to understand. She's a timelost cavegirl shaman, she'd probably end up with one of the hill tribes.

Faye: Even without her powers she's a formidable young woman, and even a 13- Activation isn't that big a handicap when you're a 690 point telekinetic. A 21st century education in metalworking, chemistry, woodworking, architecture and drafting, and electronics is enough to establish her as the top expert contractor on the continent. She'll make out.

Liane: She's going to have problems. She's thirteen, very pretty, and not a very good fighter. However, she's an excellent musician, and could probably make a decent living as a minstrel - or a wilderness guide, she's good at survival.

Phoenix: She's got problems! She's a full-body cyborg and the only people who can maintain her are thousands of years in the future.

What happens to Soulbarb probably depends on what happens to her connection to Camuranima, the demon of Hell that empowers her. Since my understanding of Valdorian magic is that it's done by contacting extradimensional creatures such as demons, that connection is probably still there. Moreover, in her case, that connection is a permanent link. So, since she's pretty much a fast brick in demonic form, I'm going to guess that her powers are pretty much unchanged, and thus she's probably not in much danger here. That doesn't mean she wouldn't want to get back home, however. Camuranima might well have some ideas on how to do that, as well, though Soulbarb probably wouldn't like what he'd have her to do in order to get there.

Cerulean's powers are all magic-based, but he understands something of dimensional theory. Most of his regular magics are no longer any use, but he could conceivably develop enough understanding of the Valdorian version to be able to get home. It just might take a little while.

Glaive and Beastwarden will feel more at home here than they do in the modern age where they currently are -- though they are used to having access to their magic, especially in Beastwarden's case. His shamanic knowledge and understanding of society would still be useful for survival, though he'd probably have to polish off his hunting skills as well. Glaive would probably fit right in as a local Red Sonja equivalent, though a lot of her confidence would disappear at first if she could no longer feel her grandmother's presence. After a little while to adapt, they could easily fit right into this new society.

Your character has somehow sent back in time to the Valdorian Age. From what you can tell, your character seems to be stuck in the past. You cannot access or use magic, divine powers are useless, and worst yet... all other superhuman powers seem to fail frequently.

Mechanics note: All powers of a superhuman nature would acquire a 13- Activation Roll.

Hell's Angel would be as utterly ignorant of the geography, cultures, languages and politics of the Valdorian age as I am (i.e., as ignorant of these things as it is possible to be). She wouldn't be as bad off as Starguard, but she's also very much a woman of the 21st century--she likes her internet and other features of contemporary life. She'd hate it. She'd probably switch to Hell's Angel form and _stay_ that way, since at least she _looks_ damned impressive even if she rolls >14 to use any of her powers. Given her understanding of how much fun primitive midieval societies (I assume) historically were, she's going to be spending a lot of time impressing the hell out of the local bigwigs in order to assure her own survival/freedom.

The (Midieval) Man-Ape would be annoyed. As a high-DEX brick, he's probably not going to be as hampered as some characters, but his permanently non-human appearance will be troublesome.

Black Mask would have the easiest time of it. Even when his Matrix-like reality-altering powers fizzle, he's still the world's greatest martial artist. He can kick *** and takes names.

Vitaman! Although his powers are derived from the awesome might of nutrition (as embodied by the myriad pills in his special utility belt), this Golden Age superhero’s healthy diet and regimen of vigorous exercise should leave him well equipped for the rigors of a barbarian lifestyle. Maybe he can help the inhabitants of the Valdorian Age improve their vitamin and mineral intake while he is there....

Caveman Cortez As San Francisco’s premier wrestling detective Caveman’s powers of... well, wrestling, work just as well in the Valdorian Age as in the late 1930's. He needs no science but the “sweet science” to get the job done.

Hellbilly De-Lux With his bloodstream riddled with nanotechnology and his liver rotted by corn ‘squeezings, the Hellbilly’s damage-into-STR and PRE powers aren’t going to work very well in an age of even weak magic. On the other hand, since distilling works the same in any age he at least has a valuable skill that he can market.

Bulletproof As Brookline’s Golden Age defender is basically a bouncer with a “futuristic” Kevlar body stocking, he won’t mourn the loss of his superpowers. He doesn’t have any. Give him a suit of plate male -- a shiny, shiny suit. That will make him happy.

After establishing that he can't work magic here...yet...Dr. Anomaly would do the following:

First, become familiar with the locals, their customs, etc. Though he doesn't have Universal Translator, Dr. Anomaly does "collect" languages as a hobby...he can speak 57 of them. That, coupled with an INT of 40, gives a good indication of just how quickly & easily he picks up new languages, so he should be able to communicate effectively in very short order.

(And incidentally, Dr. Anomaly's only two personal powers other than his Magic pool and his Gadget pool are the ability to "see" magic [Detect Magic, Simulated Sense Group: Sight] and what is essentially very short-range TK [Extra Limbs, Fully Invisible Power Effects, Inherent -- think Gil "The Arm" Hamilton]. Both those are unlikely to malfunction, because one's just a Sense and the other's Inherent.)

I'm going to assume that anything constructed using his Gadget Pool would have the 13- Activation roll; plus it's going to be difficult to get a lot of the sort of parts he's used to working with. He'll probably have to create the means to make those parts.

In any case...

Even though he doesn't have any actual "powers" (and his immediate Gadget Pool would be limited to what he'd brought with him and could recycle for parts), he does have an INT of 40, a PRE of 23, and a COM of 18 -- couple that with just his good-old-fashioned Knowledge skills (chemistry, biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, medicine, mathematics, metallurgy, demolitions, alchemy) he shouldn't have too much trouble getting "on staff" with someone in a position of influence.

Once set up as an "advisor", "wizard", or whatever he ends up being called, he'd have two primary goals in regards to gaining more power for himself: (1) find out if some kind of magic is possible, and set about mastering it; (2) set about "inventing" those things necessary to start making the components and materials he needs to be able to use his Gadgeteering effectively.

In the process, he'd try to improve the standard of living whenever possible. He'd also use the influence, money, and such that he'd gain from his knowledge, skills, and "inventions" to try and influence things and people for the greater common good. And it's pretty much inevitable that he'd end up having to face down an "evil wizard" or three.

Even if he managed to master what passes for magic locally (and his knowledge of Spells & Rituals, Arcane Phenomena, Supernatural Entities and "Things Man Was Not Meant To Know" may still be useful in this regard), he'd never give up on the idea of getting home. At worst, he'd work on trying to devise a way to see to it that a message -- even if it's a 'message in a bottle' that waits thousands of years before being found -- gets back home to let people know what happened to him. Better yet, figure out a way to do that for himself -- low-tech suspended animation or whatever.

Assuming none of those pan out as feasible, he'd likely end up running an area of the world -- even though that's not what he'd ever want to do -- for the sake of offering protection to those who need it, a better standard of living for the common man, etc.

So, to sum up:

1) Determine magic isn't possible -- yet -- and neither is getting home.

2) Learn the local language and get set up as a valued advisor to someone in power

3) Work on building back up not only his own personal power (magic, gadgets, etc.) but also political power and monetary power

4) Use his power & influence to help others and better life in general

5) If getting home isn't possible by any means, end up becoming ruler of an area (if necessary).

Ghost Archer: Again this drops into the argument as to what constitutes a 'super power'. In my case being stranded in such a world has happened to me any number of times and I wouldn't get excited about it. I'd probably pretty much do what I do everywhere I end up. Be a 'hero'. Its not just a job, its what I am.

Jessica - being Vampire/Werewolf would probably be unchanged (I'm assuming Valdorian age has many of the standard Fantasy tropes such as lynchathropy and undead).

Silence - Her powers are granted by Death. While they may be considered "super" her skill with a sword certainly isn't. So if her normal Sword failed, she'd pick up a piece of metal. She's from 100BC normally, Valdorian Age is more familiar to her - she understands Battle as a warrior and would most likely become a mercenary. Edit: almost forgot, if she did lose her powers she would also lose her wings, which she's had for 2000 years and might spend a short period feeling weirded out by that.

Funny you should ask this. I am GMing a solo campaign for a friend and did exactly this.

Katla the Valkyrie: Daughter of Odin, Warrior of Asgard, etc. In the Valdorian Age she became Katla the Wanderer: swordswoman, barbarian, reaver, slayer, etc. She fit in pretty well actually, a six foot, buff, blonde ex-demigoddess. :D

Terminal Velocity would be hosed. He would be faster than norm, but with all his speedster stuff gone, he's basically a modern teen (well 19) with no idea of what to do.

Meeb would be normal. All his "superpowers" are defined as his alien physiology. He'd likely be mistaken for a Cthulian kind of horror and set upon by heroes of the age. He's just shlurp around and try and do what is good for people, even if all the villagers run from him.

Ballistic would be sort of in trouble. He is a supersuit supermage. No magic, and his suit on the fritz. He'd try and take up a counseling position somewhere.

Blackcat would likely loose some of her more esoteric Ch'i stuff. But she is by SFX a normal trained human, with a huge "martial manuevers" pool. She would still kick butt, and likely be one of the top two or three fighters in the world. In her home world and time she defeated the Death Dragon at the tournement.

Angelfire dunno. Her powers spring from being an Angel and Demon so they might not fade that much, but her stats are still pretty high, and she has some decent combat skills outside that. She would end up being a bard*/sword for hire.

* in her homeworld she is an up and coming rock star.

Adventus: He still would be very strong. And very nervous about being flesh again. He is made of adamantium, like Colossus from the x-men. His family got the power to turn metal from the Greek Gods. In him it became a permanent condition. He would become a knight because he has been in fantasy movies so he knows basically how to use a sword.

Pyhrus: He would keep trying to open a portal to the Elemental Plane of Fire. That is his superpower. There his powers would work normally. Once there he would just open a portal to his home time. Time doesn't exist normally on the plane of fire.

Eve may or may not be in a lot of trouble. She's a nanotech robot. Either she shuts down completely or her powers aren't inhibited too much. Of course her Cyberpathy is next to useless, but her weapons systems would come in handy. She'd wander, trying to find a way home and helping people as best she could. If nothing else, she could bury herself eventually and "hiberante" to pass the time a bit more quickly.

TAO: Her powers are touchy some she might keep (Her tactical intuition and healing factor) while others would be touch and go (Enhanced speed, superhuman strength) Even without these she's a formindable fighter and tactician. Her mission to uphold justice remains the same and in this seemingly lawless time appears well needed.

Ivy's power stem from a connection with the Green, the group mind of the plant kingdom. Its eternal having existed since plant life developed so her powers are probably intact and quite formindable. She'd be desperately trying to find a way back to her home and her children, while doing somethings to improve the lot of the locals with her powers, biological and medical knowlege.

Well Badger gets his powers from his alien father's genes. So not likely to lose them. Well they are chi-based so maybe (his father's species developed chi powers in their development rather than weapons for the most part, little too complicated to get into) though he did "play" with swords when he was little before his powers fully matured (he was raised on Earth). Also after his mother was killed he learned the bow, as he was hiding in the wilderness. That and a good DEX would help him survive if need be. He'll likely take rule of a tribe. And go to war, in either case. Other, than being peeved about never being able to avenge his mother's (his little sister was alos killed in that same incident) death. He be ok.

Bob- "fairly normal". An immortal soldier with greater than human max in some stats. Once he runs out of ammo, he'll miss the guns. But he loves to fight. He will take over a group of nomadic mercenaries and have a harem (come on that is must for Bob:thumbup: ). Hmm, I guess being immortal he might just make it back to modern times. He can die, just not a "natural" death, though. Course if the old regeneration is still working. Well, if he has avoided being killed in modern times, more primitive weaponry isnt likely to do it.

Guest HeroPink!

That's the swords and sorcery setting, right?

Glarg: He'd be happy! He's big, he's strong, he's fast. So he's dumb; no prob in S&S. ;)

Thena: No, she is NOT stuck here. She goes where she wants, so she goes back.

Panweesio: The Mental Ill., Darkness to Mental Senses, Mind Scan, and some Detects are mental powers; you didn't say they were hit. ;) The other powers are going to pfffft 15% of the time, which isn't too bad. Panweesio would keep a low profile until the situation was figured out. Then either stay low, or set up as wizard/warlord/rich merchant/whatever.

Lana van Hoom: Is soooooo SOOL. None of her own abilities will be worth squat, and she can't predict what the next other will be, and the others have no continuity.

Oh dear I think "St Barbara" is in trouble ! No powers, no equivalent of the U N to ask for a job. Hmm, maybe "get her to a nunnery" or (as she is a trained gymnast) join a troupe of travelling players ! Spend a lot of time being VERY frustrated because she couldn't help people in this age the way she did "back home". Try to help anyway in little ways, like convincing the barber surgeons to wash their hands before they operate. Looks like it's time for "St B" to use her charisma and persuasion instead of multi-coloured fireballs for a change !

Astro-Knight: Depends on how ancient Malvan Tech works. If he can't access his suit at all, then Trent ends up probably becoming an explorer. Seeking a way home, and possibly never finding it, but he'd certainly become a hero, die, or both.

Gaze: Mentalist with Martial Arts. Even with an activation roll, he's going to be a shoo in as a 'wizard' if he wants to be. He does have Hypnosis as a skill. Most likely he'll keep superheroing and become something of a legend.

Max Thunder: Demi God, so that's divine and I guess he's fully human. He also has 21st level medical knowledge. He's about to become this world's hipocrates. This also throws some interesting questions for him. Is Zeus dead at this time? Not yet born? Can he contact him? The answers to these questions would haunt him.

Recluse: Without Grandmother spider's empowerment? A normal guy with modern world finacial skills, very likely toast. If his powers just 'weaken' then he might find himself searching for some magic that WOULD work and send him home.

Scarlet Archer III: Just a human being with olympic level stats and utterly amazing archery skills. He just became THE Best archer in the world by default, even if his tech arrows run out. Do they have the long bow in the V age? They may soon.