Fantasy Cliches

tkdguy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy Cliches

Hah, they left one cliche off the Van Helsing list:

The one object that can save the hero and doom the villain will not only be kept in the villain's fortress, it will be kept in a high, unlocked tower room of its own, so prominently displayed that the villain might as well hang a neon sign above it that reads "CRITICAL PLOT OBJECT HERE." It will not be lost somewhere in the back of one of the villain's desk drawers, or in a box somewhere in the attic.

Huh. I must be watching the wrong movies/reading the wrong books/playing the wrong games. A whole bunch of those were new to me. How'd they get to be cliches? :confused:
I agree. And still others seem to me more like famous examples rather than cliches. Just 'cause a single famous book or series uses a plot device, characterization, etc. doesn't make that thing a cliche. I'd be curious to see the same list with examples given of books, movies, etc. that employ each cliche...

5. The first named member of the opposite sex this character encounters will end up being all of the below-

a) Their true love

B) Blind to their affection - either one to the other, or both at the same time.

c) Realise their love when in a difficult circumstance

d) Be captured by the Dark Lord, or threatened by the same.

4a.1 The Magical McGuffin will have no other purpose in its existance but to defeat the Dark Lord. Or will never be used for any other reason.

4a.2 The McGuffin will require a Quest to retrieve, which always involves collecting the correct people for no apparent reason, and travelling across three different climates.

6. Different locations, no matter the climate, will have one unique dominant colour so you can tell they are different locations.

4a.2 The McGuffin will require a Quest to retrieve' date=' which always involves collecting the correct people for no apparent reason, and travelling across three different climates.[/quote']

4a.3 The Party on the Quest for the McGuffin will have one person in it who will end up betraying the Party.

BTW, has anyone ever read The River of Dancing Gods by Jack Chalker? I vaguely remember that every chapter had a quote from the rulebook that made up the world, a fantasy world of cliches. :D

Agree about that list not really being cliches at all. Not totally convinced by the start of this one either. Is romance, for example, really a subject for fantasy cliche? Most of the fantasy I've read (and I'll admit it isn't a lot - Tolkien, Conan, Fafyrd & GM, some Ursula le Guin, some others I cant recall) tends to avoid the issue to a great extent.

As a general cinematic convention of the action-genre, yes, it's probably true. But I'm not sure it's fantasy related.

Howabout this though:

9. Black is white, good is good, evil is evil

9a. Except where one or two characters are blatantly self-interested, bad guys with a desire for redemption or good guys with a nasty streak - just to "prove" that there are moral shades of grey in the world, honest.

10. There are few problems that smacking someone or something often enough with a big sword can't fix.

Actually, one of the recent Hugo winners was the book "Paladin of Souls" by Lois McMaster Bujold. It is notable in that it breaks just about every cliche about the protagonist.

The protagonist is not a young farmboy/girl, but instead a forty year old widow. She is not of humble birth and ascends to the throne at the start of the book. In fact she starts out the book as the dowager queen of the land, her daughter having recently ascended to the throne, and frankly she's happy to be quit of the palace and has zero desire of ever returning.

Admittedly, it is sort of a sequel to "The Curse of Chalion" but only very loosely. Very few characters from the first book appear in the second book and none of the leading characters of the first book appear, though a few are referenced. The third book in the series is set in the same universe, and there will be two more, though if either of the last two books have anything to do with the previous three, it's rather dubious at best.

11. Despite what any female non-main character is like, or how she is stereotyped - the female main character will be an uberfemale. Any perceived female stereotypical weakness will not only be a strength in the main character, it will also far exceed the ability of any male.

Actually, one of the recent Hugo winners was the book "Paladin of Souls" by Lois McMaster Bujold. It is notable in that it breaks just about every cliche about the protagonist.

My least favourite of her books.

The main character is handed help by the Gods every single time she asks for it. There's no struggle - we never need fear for her safety, a God will always be nearby to help her out.