Champions "What Ifs"

Hermit

What if...

Detroit had been saved?

The Champions decided to serve Isvatha V'han to bring order/justice to this world?

Mechanon had succeded in killing the president?

Talisman and Witchcraft had done as their parents wanted?

Firewing found true honor?

And so on...

For that matter, and more importantly, ever run "What If" scenerios in your own campaigns or at least have speculations for your own PCs?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions "What Ifs"

What if...

...Foxbat joined the Champions?

...Doctor Destroyer had "found Jesus" in 1968?

...Alliance, Nebraska had been destroyed instead of Detroit?

...James Harmon IV had never built the Defender armor?

(Just ones I can come up with off the top of my head without looking anything up.)

What if...

Could be fun and silly, and eventually turn serious as Freddy eventaully reclaims his sanity... possibly just in time to sacrifice himself for the team knowing that it was all "too real" after all.

Professor Preserver, here we come?

The easy out for that one is Millennium City ends up having a warmer climate.

:)

Interesting, would the Champions even have formed up without him? or, for that matter, would James become the premeir patron of super heroes instead of becoming a hero himself?

(Just ones I can come up with off the top of my head without looking anything up.)

Nice ones. :)

Hmmm...

What If Takofane became the Arch Mage?

What If Mechanon had been programmed to defend humanity?

What If Dr. Destroyer had helped the Nazis win World War II?

From Teen Champions:

"What If Sunheat had lived?"

In the CU, his death lead to the founding of the Raven Academy which helped to create a new generation of heroes, some who discovered early Destroyer's base which gave the heroes time to rally. Instead, the heroes are caught unaware until the first meteors strike key cities. In desperate battle the assembled heroes try to stop Destroyer but their ragtag band is torn apart. Desperate, Sunheart unleashes his full power which incinerate himself, Destroyer, and the asteroid controls. Within hours Earth is rendered lifeless as interstellar mountains the size of Manhatten bombard the planet. The last scene, as the very air burns away, is Rowen crying and wonders how Earth's future, and the future of its children, could be stripped away. Could they, the heroes, have done something different?

What If Sapphire had died?

A moment's carelessness seperate this reality from true CU. In this reality, a lowly technician cuts the wrong wire, plunging the city into darkness. The resulting power surge also sets back the recording of Corey's charity album. Determined to finish, she forgoes sleep. Her reflexes dulled, the next day Sapphire was struck by Mechanon's energy blast an instant before she could raise her shield. It punches through her heart, killing her instantly. Shocked, Defender empties his entire power reserve into a final blast that shatters the mechanical menance but also obliterates the corner stone of a nearby building, killing over a dozen people.

Of course, Defender in his grief and remorse takes a leave... and is joined by Witchfire. Sapphire's death is an ephiany to her: life is short with no time for regrets and that includes telling the man she loves how she feels. A one month leave becomes three and then six months as the couple heal together and experience life outside of of being a superhero. One year to the day that Sapphire dies, Defender and Witchfire marry. Nine months later, they have twins, one of whom they name Corey.

Although no charges were pressed, in recognition of the Champion's service, the resulting law suits devestate the team's financial resources. Even worse, the public becomes ambivalent about their defenders as the team's strength is halved and its new leader, Nighthawk, stonewalls the public to concentrate on "more important matter." With only Ironclad remaining, the Champions replenish their ranks with Kenetic, Nightwind, Binary Man, and Chevalir (with great reluctance). The presence of Nightwind as well as Nighthawk's leadership leads the pressed to dub the team "Dark Champions."

The team lasts only a few months with Nightwing running roughshod over the others. A public fight between the Nightwind and Nighthawk (dubbed the "Battle of the Dark 'Nights" leads to NW leaving. Twin scandals further rock the Champions when Binary Man is found to have lead the team away from organized crime figures in exchange for writing off his gambling debts. Chevalir further disgraces the team. In the end, there is no choice but to close shop and the Champions are no more.

Dark days lay ahead as the world loses its greatest protectors. Unknown to all but powerful mystics, the dread one whose name can only be whispered (Tyrannon) grows closer to breaching the world's barrier. Without a suitable arch mage (Dwemor was trapped between dimensions after he attempted an impulsive second raid into Pandemonium whereas in CU Witchcraft has dissuaded him), the Trismegistus Council makes a literal deal with the devil and throws its support towards the Demonologist to become Earth's protector.

And all through the land, evil that the Champions would have stopped stirs and lashes out, emboldened by the end of their greatest foes.

Dark, dark times ahead...

Meh. The Champions are a handful of 350-point characters. They can't be that important to destiny.

Not really. While it's true that the genre books shows them to be 350 pointers, they are handled in general as being true heavyweights (although they do lose prestige with all of the NYC teams since they have been around since the Silver Age-they should have been retired if they aren't already). This is the team who has survived Viperia, Mechanon, and the Crowns... they are not 350-pointers except when shown once as examples.

That said, thanks for reading my post.

:)

Also, we know that in the CU Witchfire is important because she's going to become ArchMage. It makes sense that her comrades are kinda important as well.

What If--the 5th Edition Champions crossed over to the 4th Edition Universe and met their counterparts?

What If--the ambient level of magic in the 5th Edition Universe were to suddenly increase? Would everyone get superpowers? Or would Takofanes become so powerful that he could kill everyone at once, then raise them up to become his followers?

What If--the Harmon family were beholden to Dr. Destroyer in the same way as the Medina family? Would James Harmon IV be the power-armored servant of Destroyer, the Vader to his Palpatine? Or would he find a way to escape his servitude and use technology stolen from his former master to oppose him--thus becoming humanity's Defender?

What If--the superpowered heavy metal band Road Kill existed in 5th Edition Universe? Would Sapphire be on their target list for committing "Crimes Against Music?" Or would they just go after the usual suspects?

What If--Champions had been the very first RPG instead of Dungeons & Dragons? Would it have been as popular? Less? More? Would random assignment of characteristics as an RPG mechanic have existed at all? Would there have been a bad movie made about the game? Maybe even two?

What If--Naah, that's all I got for now. Maybe later.

What if:
  • Doctor Destroyer actually died with no clone! Who would be the big master villain for HERO Games then?
  • Eurostar succeeded in legally taking over a European country or two?
  • UNTIL was as ineffective as the UN?
  • Steve Long enjoyed CLOWN?

In order:

I'll answer your first question with my own question: Who of the others in the Big Six has the least canonical activity thusfar, i.e., is farthest behind the scenes, almost as if waiting for Dr. D. to be out of the way...?

Second question: Think bigger - Eurostar as the official superteam of the E.U.

Third question: aren't they already?

Fourth question: Don't. Go. There. "This way lies madness." - the wizard Shazam, in reference to reintroducing the multiverse into DC Comics. (Which explains, well, almost everything in DC Comics these days...)

I'll answer your first question with my own question: Who of the others in the Big Six has the least canonical activity thusfar' date=' i.e., is farthest behind the scenes, almost as if waiting for Dr. D. to be out of the way...?[/quote']

Gravitar? :eek: I know, I know, you're refering to Foxbat.

Second question: Think bigger - Eurostar as the official superteam of the E.U.

Actually, I was thinking progression instead of metagame fiat. A few years with Eurostar having a few countries. Then, everytime a new book is published (or maybe just one book a year), there are subtle updates that Eurostar now has new countries under its banner.

Third question: aren't they already?

No. If they were, they wouldn't have all the nice stuff they have and wouldn't be as organized. Also, they wouldn't have really done anything. UNITY would be a pipe dream.

Fourth question: Don't. Go. There.

Sorry. I will until a moderator warns me. Steve doesn't have to like CLOWN, but that doesn't mean we have to dislike them. If Gravitar is a 'master villain' and Nighthawk is to be taken seriously, then pretty much any conversation can have CLOWN added.

What if...

Detroit had been saved?

Death of the American automobile industry leads citizens of Detroit to begin massive "Please Destroyer, Destroy us, We need the relief money" campaign.

The Champions decided to serve Isvatha V'han to bring order/justice to this world?

Giving them positions in accordance with their power, they all join her civillian government, while the serious Supers get on with the world conquest.

Mechanon had succeded in killing the president?

No worries, we keep a few spares. However, the conspiracy theorists would be happy.

Talisman and Witchcraft had done as their parents wanted?

It would be the most downloaded video on the Internet.

Firewing found true honor?

Finally, a Superhero with some serious power in the CU.

The Champions would become marginally more interesting, and on average a bit more powerful.

Clone Jesus Army.

Mill City would be colder.

His basement would be filled with America's largest model train set.