A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

Why is it when an asian guy whacks through something with a sword, it's 'whoa cool!' but when it's a white guy with a Ka-Bar knife, the comments are 'Har har, look at the redneck!'?

That's not a soda' date=' that's iced tea. I don't know if there is a pressure difference between soda and iced tea cans.[/quote']

There had better be. Iced tea is not carbonated. We have all had the experience of having a soda can "explode" in our faces after being dropped or shaken. That's because all that stirred-up carbon dioxide is looking for a place to expand into and you've just given it one when you tried to open it. That's because of carbonation.

Most modern beers are also carbonated. I don't know for sure, but I don't think carbonation is necessarily part of the normal process of brewing beer. It is possible that medieval beers and ales would be considered flat by modern standards, but then I've never finished a beer in my life so I'm hardly an authority.

There had better be. Iced tea is not carbonated. We have all had the experience of having a soda can "explode" in our faces after being dropped or shaken. That's because all that stirred-up carbon dioxide is looking for a place to expand into and you've just given it one when you tried to open it. That's because of carbonation.

Most modern beers are also carbonated. I don't know for sure, but I don't think carbonation is necessarily part of the normal process of brewing beer. It is possible that medieval beers and ales would be considered flat by modern standards, but then I've never finished a beer in my life so I'm hardly an authority.

Beer isn't carbonated the same way soda is because beer doesn't use 'soda water' was a base. The foamy head found in a glass of beer is a by-product of the fermentation process, thus, odds are period beers were equally capable of having a foamy head.

Superman vs. Goku, Wizard magazine:

supermanvsgokuy.jpg

Origins:

Rocketed from the doomed planet Krypton as an infant, Superman crashed on Earth, where his alien physiology gifted him with superpowers far beyond those of mortal [humanity]!

Goku was sent to Earth by an alien race set on conquering the planet. Suffering from amnesia, Goku instead became Earth's defender, and found the seven mystical Dragonballs by wielding his super-strength, super-speed and teleportation.

The Battle:

The wizard Babidi manipulates Goku into thinking an eighth Dragonball exists on a parallel Earth protected by an invincible Kryptonian. The Super Saiyan crosses over dimensions and finds the Man of Steel inspecting a LexCorp satellite. Goku introduces himself by throttling Superman into a nearby moon. Shaking it off, Supes dodges the next couple of lunges, but his mysterious foe's martial arts prowess and teleportation ability allows him to land more blows. The Man of Steel proves to be able to absorb more punishment that the orange-clad bruiser, and surprises Goku with a couple of blasts of heat vision. Wanting to end the struggle, Goku rapidly teleports, landing a dozen blows to Supes in the span of a second. Not falling for the same trick, Superman's super-vision detects a particle flux when Goku teleports, allowing him to anticipate where his foe will appear. As the Z Warrior winks out and reappears, Superman unleashes a haymaker, poundingGoku deep into the moon's surface. The Man of Steel demands an explanation of this assault, but Goku amps up to Super-Saiyan mode and fires a kamehameha blast that fries Supes like a fish stick! Pressing his attack, a furious Goku unleashes a planet-destroying punch that hits a stunned Superman square in the "S" shield, knocking him clear off the moon and back towards Earth. Realizing the fall might kill the Kryptonian, Goku teleports and catches Superman before he goes splat. It is then that Goku senses there are no such Dragonballs on Earth. Apologizing for his dishonor, Goku begs for forgiveness before heading back to his own diminsion to take out the lying Babidi. Puzzled at what had just happened, a woozy Superman collapses unconscious, awaiting medical treatment.

Incidentally' date=' this particular versus matchup has become the new "Thor vs. Superman", "Batman vs. Captain America", "Destroyer vs. Takofanes" on these here internets, and many a discussion thread I've seen has devolved into all out thermo-nerd-clear warfare.[/quote']

I think Superman would win, but that's because, judging by the shows, by the time Goku was done posing, Superman would have had time for a long nap to recharge himself between every blow :)

Aw' date=' c'mon! That's just tantamount to monologuing![/quote']

Sorry, that's clear-cut abuse of 'Soliloquy takes no time' rule.

via BoingBoing.

This is, to put it mildly, a much larger cicada than I am accustomed to. Most likely, judging from the video and Wikipedia, you're looking at a Malaysian Empress Cicada—a species that can have a wingspan of 8 inches.

Apparently, they (and other species of cicada) make a delightful, low-fat snack.

A video done about one of the bits in Super Freakenomics (I keep telling myself I need to go out and read this one, and never have...)

Basically, it discusses the connection between ease of abortion and crime rates. Obviously, given the content I just described, this may not be the best thing to play at work or other such situation.

La Rose.