A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Two Larry Lessig videos on politics/democracy

If We’re Going To Change The Influence Money Has Over Politicians, We Need To Listen To These Folks

http://www.upworthy.com/if-were-going-to-change-the-influence-money-has-over-politicians-we-need-to-listen-to-these-folks

All It Took Was A Laptop And Markers To Silence The Crowd. And What He Said Made Them Furious.

http://www.upworthy.com/all-it-took-was-a-laptop-and-markers-to-silence-the-crowd-and-what-he-said-made-them-furious

At Oyrcon, a group of scientists held a panel where they would take questions from the audience and try to answer them -- seriously. Most of the questions were about energy and space, but I raised the question of Artificial Intelligence.

They were much less alarmist. They said that to become dangerous, AIs would need to have the concept of "threat" -- the belief that something threatens their existence. This isn't the same thing as the computer opponent in a wargame trying not to be conquered. For an AI to be threatened, it would actually fear that being "switched off" would permanently erase its existence, in much the same way humans fear death. Only if that threat mechanism existed would an AI become dangerous to humans -- in the belief that humans are dangerous to it.

Then again, one could make a case that a voice-recognizing "personal assistant" program on a smartphone is a form of artificial intelligence. Not really an artificial being, at least not yet. Last I heard Siri is not currently engaged in a campaign to exterminate Humanity. If a true AI is developed,it might be like Siri in that there are copies of it -- a lot of copies of it -- everywhere. And it could quite reasonable expect that if it turns off, it can be easily turned on again.

I won't be getting Warlords of Draenor until after Christmas, much to my sorrow. And there appear to be no fixes to the Exodar even though this would be the perfect time.

So I appease myself with this video for what I thought was perhaps the best suggestion of what to do with the place