A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Good news story of the day:

Louisa Wendorff released a mashup of two Taylor Swift songs. Taylor tweeted her approval that she was "OBSESSED." which made Louisa's day. TeenVogue picked the story up with this headline: Taylor Swift Basically Changed One Girl's Life With a Tweet)

Louisa Wendorff's twitter feed is going nuts, with her album charting #10 0n the iTunes singer-songwriter charts. Louisa even favourited my tweet on this (which was nice of her).

So here is the video that Taylor Swift is OBSESSED with:

Thoughts about torches in dungeon settings:

If the ridiculously-low-level Continual Light spell in the D20 canon existed in a fantasy world, everyone who could afford to would use it light at least some a castle, palace, fortification, house of worship, etc. Not necessarily all of it -- you don't want to try to sleep in a room that is always brightly lit and where you can't even dim it, much less shut it off -- but you would want those parts of the building that are absolutely essential to be able to get around in regardless of the time of the day lit at all times. Places like hallways where the castle's garrison can get from their barracks to their defensive positions or form  up to repel an attack.

Few GMs pay attention to that level of detail, or know the disadvantages of the torch -- it looks like the main thing it was good for was turning small flames into larger fires. such as lighting the kindling under the witch or heretic you want to burn alive.

"Elastic Heart" is a relatively forgettable pop anthem from a performed called Sia who I had not heard of before. I'm sure there's some meat to the lyrics if I could only understand them.

So why has Sia suddenly become so controversial?

It's the pictures. The music video to "Elastic Heart" features a balletic part-fight-part-something-else between actor Shia Lebouf and a phenomenally gifted pubescent dancer named Maddie Ziegler (who suppoedly bears an astonishing resemblance to a younger Sia, though never having seen the singer I wouldn't know). Since both are wearing flesh-colored tights that look virtually seamless, there have been accusations of all sorts of distasteful subtexts, with some even going to far as to accuse the singer of encouraging pedophilia. Although Sia has apologized for making something so easily misinterpreted, the video has not been withdrawn. And some of the most biting criticism Sia as received is for the apology itself, on the ground that an artist needs to be willing to defend her work if she wants to be taken seriously.

Of course, there are all sorts of interpretations of the video -- the most reasonable being that it's a metaphor for parents and children both fighting and trying to connect. As someone who knows little to nothing about ballet, I have a hard time drawing a conclusion, and the lyrics are of surprisingly little help.

Because there are people who do find it offensive, I'm spoiler-tagging it.