GoldenAge

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If You Had To Play a DC Character…

Ooo what a toss up...

1.)Starman

Due to his down to earth attitude. Also he was discovering his Father and Brother's legacy. There was a lot of wonder and curiousity to the character.And he didn't take Sh*t from anyone not even the Bat.

And let's not forget the important role he played in Superman being sent to earth.

2) The Flash (Any incarnation)

I love the power and versatility of Speedsters.

3) Superman

C'mon, Like you wouldn't want to be an Icon? Love it when the writers show the humanity of the character.

Tops would be Connor Hawke. I'd like to play Ollie, but I really like how Connor is hotter than his dad yet doesn't even consider acting slutty like Ollie. Also, I like legacies. Connor is a good dude who doesn't judge his family for their faults. And that Arrow clan has some serious drama! A sex addict, a former drug addict, and a former addict and prostitue with the HIV? And they litter.

Second choice: The new Captain Boomerang. Dad was a mort but the new kid is cool. He's got the legacy thing and the reform thing going for him. Old school trick boomerangs and superspeed? It's like playing Barry and Ollie at the same time! And the cat has a fly scarf.

Third: John Constantine. You know why... he tricked Hell into curing his cancer! He can't fly, or take a bullet. His only real superpower is his enormous pair of huevos. Eff Yeah, Johnny Constantine!

In a JLA campaign: Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) love the sense of humor and he is a martial artist and detective without the Batman bagage.

second choice would be Black Canary

In a JSA campaign: Too many to choose from: You have the Allen Scott GL, Mr. Terrific, Doctro Midnight, Stargirl, too many cool heros who would be great to play.

In a Titans campaign: Tim Drake as Robin. The only person to out detective Batman. Yet still a teenager with all that brings.

In a LSH campaign: (going with the ones I know: The Post-Zero Hour group) Cosmic Boy- though I'd have trouble with the inspirational leader bit.

Shrinking Violet - I always loved the idea of a very shy Hero, who never failed to rise to the heroics needed.

Metamorpho if I could figure out how to build him effectively. I know he would need a big VPP but a lot of those powers are very expensive(e.g. - methane gas needs desolid, and an NND that affects the solid world). What can I say, I really like the guy. Good personality. Great support character. And he's a guy that few others would pick.

Superman. Duh. The First and Greatest.

Ultra Boy. Interesting powers. Interesting personality. Cute girlfriend.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan). Preferably while hanging out with Oliver Queen.

Robin (Dick Grayson). Preferably while in the Teen Titans. The sensible member of the team. A formidable crime fighter in his own right.

Blue Beetle (Ted Kord). OK, not "really" DC, but a cool guy before he was turned into a joke.

Let's see: I've covered the JLA, Teen Titans and LSH. Superman was an honorary member of the JSA, and Robin was a Golden Age character too, so that's covered as well. That's near enough for me.

Still... I feel I should make a choice that's a bit more... individual... as well. This is difficult. There are many characters I like that I aren't quite right for this purpose. Mr Miracle is one possibility, but to be truly unique I'm afraid I would have to go for the one and only Jimmy Olsen.

Bog it though. I'd go with Ultra Boy or Superboy. There are really no other choices, as far as I am concerned.

Martian Manhunter.

(Note: I don't actually read comics. But I got into Champions, and like the various animated/live action adaptions. And JL and JLU are awesome)

(Specifically, J'onn is just awesome as commander/coordinator, he has diverse powers, an interesting past... I just like _everything_)

In a game in the DCU, I wouldn't worry much about upstaging anyone. Even if it wasn't point balanced, he just doesn't seem the sort.

Martian Manhunter is another I would vote for. Great power set, Superman light in the physical powers, plus Desolid, plus Shapeshifting, plus being the most powerful Mentalists in the DCU (except when they need to Worf him to show how powerful a mentalist the JLA's opponent is ;)). Still he is one of the gentlest beings in the DCU, and the most tragic. Sure Superman is the last of his race, but he didn't see his wife and child die.

Even with all his power he is fairly modest about, except when he needs to make a Prescence attack, from the JLU episode when the Cadmus 'Suicide Squad' broke into the watchtower, "Are you sure that's what you want, to be in this room with me."

In a Titans campaign: Tim Drake as Robin. The only person to out detective Batman. Yet still a teenager with all that brings.

Recent Batman quote: (Talking to Alfred about Tim) "He's smarter than me. He's probably smarter than you."

Nice to see a little bat-respect for the kid.

The Terminator - Slade is not only a cool customer but I think he would make a "killer" street level vigilante..

Green Arrow - better than batman and more fun.

Batman - cuz he has lots of cool toys.

Tim Drake as Robin - mainly because I know him best from Young Justice and the (new) Teen Titans. He's a good martial artist, he's got the bat-charisma going, but he's more of a team player than Batman. I'd probably like Nightwing as well, but I just don't know him well enough to play him in a con game.

I like Clark's personality and ethos more, but I'd probably prefer to play Kon-el as Superboy: Champions as a game system could handle his power level better than Superman, but Kon's got many of the same character elements and backstory. I also like that recently, he's living with the Kents. (Didn't care much for the "oh, the angst of being related to Lex Luthor!" thing, though.)

I like Clark's personality and ethos more' date=' but I'd probably prefer to play Kon-el as [b']Superboy:[/b] Champions as a game system could handle his power level better than Superman, but Kon's got many of the same character elements and backstory. I also like that recently, he's living with the Kents. (Didn't care much for the "oh, the angst of being related to Lex Luthor!" thing, though.)

Well, it was less 'being related to Luthor' than 'being half Luthor' ... and given Luthor's capacity for contingency plans, the probability that he'd have a post-hypnotic suggestion or the like in his subconscious is actually a good thing to worry about.

And I'm going to guess you're not keeping up with the Crisis or One Year Later? I'm trying not to spoil, but, uh, something very IMPORTANT happens to Superboy.

And I'm going to guess you're not keeping up with the Crisis or One Year Later? I'm trying not to spoil, but, uh, something very IMPORTANT happens to Superboy.

Nope - I stopped keeping up about a year or so ago, when I realized that I was buying comics but not actually reading them. Nowadays, I pick up the occasional trade paperback that interests me (I do like Ultimate Spiderman for this reason), but mostly I'm taking a break from the publishing side of comics. :)

Nope - I stopped keeping up about a year or so ago' date=' when I realized that I was buying comics but not actually reading them. Nowadays, I pick up the occasional trade paperback that interests me (I do like Ultimate Spiderman for this reason), but mostly I'm taking a break from the publishing side of comics. :)[/quote']

Ah ... well, it's easy enough to find out what happened then, I suppose. :)

Yay, Wikipedia.

back on topic :eg:

Batman, the Dark Knight / Frank Miller version

HDHT_129_rot02.jpg

the extreme far right end of vigilante heroism.

evil found, evil killed. Extra Tricks up each sleeve, with backup tricks tucked in each boot.

and dig the sweet teen girl volunteer sidekick Robin

pulls the JLA back together: Plaz, Atom, GA, Flash, awesome.

it would be difficult to RP that level of savvy, though.

My choice would be Element Lad of the Legion of Superheroes...incredible transmutational powers, but personally a little shy, a little insecure, and the last survivor of a murdered people. Doesn't hurt that he's drop-dead gorgeous. Definite good guy, tender and usually gentle -- though we have seen him in what almost looks like a fury once or twice. Yes, I have a crush on him...second only to my crush on Brainiac 5 (but I don't really want to try playing a 12th-level computer intelligence; doesn't sound like fun).

Batman might be fun to play, but not much fun for others to play with. I admire him, but in a game, he'd be upstaging everybody on almost every level. So my second choice is Nightwing, former protégè of Batman, former leader of the Teen Titans. He's an incredible athlete and acrobat, a skilled investigator, the true paragon of an unpowered hero. And his attitude is "Batman Lite"; all the flavor but a fraction of the angst of Batman! Dick had a lover, he had friends, he has a life...and once again, he's a gorgeous man.

And no, good-looking and male is not a criteria; it just so happens that the two DC characters I'd most like to play are both good-looking guys.

Yes, Wonder Woman done "right" appeals to me as a character, but she been done badly, disrespectfully, ridiculously so many times in comics I'd actually read that I have trouble taking her seriously.

Ditto for Hawk Woman; I can't get past the "winged thug" version of her that appears as Hawkgirl in the animated JL and JLU.

Supergirl has promise, but I'd be concerned about any GM being able to come up with a legitimate challenge for her.

As a player, even the best character is no fun for me if the GM can't make effective use of them in his/her game.

well id wantto be nightwing lets face it who doenst want to be a world class acribat and date starfire.

and ted kord woudl be a temptation too if i coudl keep nightwing out of teh pciture and hook up with babs more the better

on the other hand i'd probably end up being plastic man fits my personality better or the creeper for that matter

I totally forgot plastic man.

I got to play him in a short 3-month campaign once.

I had a ball. pardon the pun.

made self into booties on a kaiju's feet, tied shoelaces together, tripping him.

made self into big loud red flash gordon rocket to "infiltrate" enemy base.

took a hit for the team, forming self into ball around a necromancer (Body Drain Sucks)

with snap back and growth momentum Plaz was able to

hand out 18 dice of damage with double knockback when he had a phase to set up the hit (pazang!)

TF20030612-tfpg.gif

ah the joys of precious memories.

Choices, choices. Superman (who doesn't), Batman (way badness), Nightwing (hmmm...), Ultra Boy (better schitk than most), Karate Kid (wow, he's tough), but in the end it would come down to Wildfire and Hal Jordan.

Wildfire because he lives hard and plays hard.

GL cause he is the man. EGO out the hind end, tres chic powers, and a freaky test pilot with nerves of steel!

Look no further than the avatar: Booster Gold!

Why? I like how he shamelessly promoted himself. Why wouldn't a superhero promote themselves as thoroughly as any star actor or athlete? I always liked battlesuit-type characters, too.

Ok, who I'd pick today. All LSH this time. All pre-Crisis

1. Mon-El, why? Lar Gand, yes the pre-Crisis version, he was Superman that had only the magic vul., after Brainiac 5 came up with the permanent anti-lead. He was the powerhouse of the Legion, plus I liked that he's GF, Shadow Lass was a babe.

2. Element Lad, Jan Arrah, Why? He was the last member of he's people. A gentle soul with the skills of a sculpter, the intelligence to lead the team, and in my mind one of the most powerful of all the Legion.

3. Karate Kid ,Val Armorr, Why? He was a normal man, a human at the very top in all area's a human could be, with the skills is MA that held he's own vs Superboy just using he's skills. And Princess Pojecta was one of the coolest C's with just illusion as her powers, and she was a babe.

1) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan). My fave character, plus GL rings are the coolest toys ever.

2) Brainiac 5. The biggest genius ever, and quite stupid generally. Gotta love that. Plus, major hotties dig him.

3) Captain Marvel. I like his goofiness, the true-blue hero aspect, the magical elements...

1) Superman. The icon. Who doesn't?

2) Green Lantern (Hal Jordan OR Kyle). Just because the interplanetary police corps angle is slick, the ring is awesome, and the characters are fun.

3) Martian Manhunter. Because I always liked J'onn... he's such a complicated character, and despite being alien is one of the most human of the JLA (certainly more than Batman).