If You Had To Play a DC Character…

GoldenAge

Re: If You Had To Play a DC Character…

Another vote for Green Lantern, either Jordan or Gardner depending on my mood and the tone of the campaign. Reasons already stated by others: powerful, versatile and just kinda cool.

Backup choice I might go for Martian Manhunter, just because I always thought the character had interesting potential.

For a street-level game, I think Huntress would be more interesting than the B-Man.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Black Adam (straight out of the pages of Captain Marvel comics and Justice Society of America) is a 4-color character as much as Mon-El... They're just not heroes.
You do have a point here. I had four color hero stuck in my mind.

For me it's a toss up between:

Nightwing

Probably one of my favorite characters in all comics. I grew up with him in some ways and have always enjoyed the character.

Green Lantern: Hal Jordan

One of the best IMHO. Here's a guy with no fear and some potent willpower. In lieu of playing him, I wouldn't mind even playing Guy or Kyle :)

Green Arrow I

Ollie is the man ... always loved the character and would enjoy playing him.

Wildcat

If it were a JSA game (either during or post WWII), Wildcat would be one of my first choices. He's trained most of the DCU how to fight ;)

Arsenal

Another guy I grew up with and has just the right amount of 'tude ;)

Mark Shaw/The Manhunter. Normal level guy, neat gadgets (Mask and Baton (Assorted Magnetic SFX)).

What's interesting is that he's not a conventional hero; he's been on both sides of the good/evil fight, now he's just trying to make a buck as a bounty hunter. Public ID, rep...plus he managed to get the better of the Flash in one ep.

Just me.

Not just you, dude. :) I played a Shaw-based Manhunter in a recent campaign. Great street-level hero in my book.

Having said that, I'd have to play the young Clone of the Man of Steel, before they screwed him over in Teen Titans. I liked that he was using the Superman name but had totally different powers. I've had a soft spot for psionics ever since the old Tomorrow People TV series, and I think it'd be cool to play a guy trying to establish his own rep beyond the 'Superman' name.

The Bat - Gadgeteer crimefighter is my weakspot

Blue Beetle - Wait... Didn't I just pick someone for this reason?

Blue Devil - He's got that supernatural 'tude with mighty blue powers

Faust (the kid) - Fighting Demons and the occult Blade style.

The Flash. I love speedsters, and getting to play the king of them all would be great. I also frequently tend towards wise-***** Spidey-types when I play, so the JLU version would be great.

Green Lantern. Hal, Kyle, or an original. Flexibility, cool duds, Earth/Space duality. Serious characters, but able to use a lot of imagination. Outside duty and personal sense of responsibility both driving to be heroic, sometimes conflicting.

Adam Strange. Cool gear, get to spend half the time as superhero, half the time as pulp hero. :D

More Golden-Age...

Atom - playing the hothead would be a fun change from the normal default leader role I frequently end up in. And arguably the weakest member of a team that includes guys like Dr. Fate, Spectre, etc.

Hourman - the limited-duration superpowers appeal to me, and cool outfit. If only he could have gotten the formula to last 70 minutes he could have surprised soooo many villains. :D

Dr. Midnight - limited version Batman with cool side schticks, and again cool outfit.

Johnny Thunder - love the Thunderbolt, like the idea of the hero's power being external, but I don't think I could RP Johnny himself right. I might be able to pull of Jakeem, or another person who gets the same or a similar Genie.

I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet - maybe my unabashed love of speedsters isn't shared by many in Herodom - but I'd have to go w/ The Flash. I'd probably lean toward the Wally West Flash, too. He brings a lot of personality flavor to any team he's on - plus, with all his rookie-esque blunders, from a GM perspective the guy's a walking plot device. No disrespect to Barry Allen - he'll always be The Great One. But, in terms of creating dynamic team play, I'd give the nod to WW. I ran a Wally-esque speedster for about 2 1/2 years & he was a blast.

Sure' date=' anyone can hit a villain, but GL can create a giant fly swatter to smack 'em down![/quote']

Reminds me of the one piece of HERO art I haven't seen reprinted in a 5th edition book:

"Now, Ankylosaur, my power ring will squash you like a bug!"

"Are you on drugs?"

Hard question; the one that first popped into my mind was Black Canary, she is primarily a Martial Artist, but she has the Canary Cry to back her up when she needs to apply a little metahuman pressure to a tough case. I'll go with modern Black Canary as my single vote. Below are some other thoughts.

Sticking with the Birds of Prey theme, Huntress is interesting as a superhero trying to make right. She started off seeking revenge for the death of her family. She tried to follow in the footsteps of Batman, but was too willing to go the extra steps towards murder. Now she is trying to redeem herself and working with the BoP.

JSA: Any member. The current run of the JSA is great, while being a team book, none of the characters get tons of development (1 book for ten team members, vs 10 books for Batman ;)), they have done a great job of fleshing out some of the characters and making it a great family book.

Batman/Superman: They're the icons of the DCU.

I'd play Karate Kid from the Legion of Superheroes.

Next choice would be Green Lantern - Hal Jordan.

Next choice would be Steel.

Chosen because I like the characters, or I like the archtype (Steel and KK) or because I think it would be just a bunch of fun.

Tough question. My instinct was to go with my favorite charcter, The Flash, but I'm fairly dissatisfied with speedsters in play. It would likely be an exercise in frustration. Then I thought Guy Gardner, the One True Green Lantern. It would let be bring out my inner a**#ole, but I'm not sure I could be obnoxious enough for that. (Good to see Guy getting the love here, though.)

So my choice is an old favorite, often over-looked: Mr. Miracle. I have a love of escape artists, and he's got personality and toys to go with. And then there's Barda. :angst::shock::love:

There are so many others for consideration that i can't even begin to write a list.

Any of the Magnificent Seven. They are the icons of comics. They created and defined the genre. Arguably, they continue to redefine it to this day.

Any of the JSA: As Black Sword noted, they are wonderfully fleshed out characters with intruiging personalities and power sets. And all of this in one book when others have far more and are less coherent as characters (Batman and Wolverine, I'm looking at you...)

But given the choice to play anyone?

Ultra Boy.

Why? Because he can be all of the things that Superman/Mon-El can be....but only one power at a time. Couple this with a massive ego and you have a really intruiging character IMHO.

He is arguably one of the strongest and weakest characters at the same time. I'd probably play him old school, pre re-boots though, dedicated and confident, sometimes too much of the latter. The guy with his heart in the right place and the power to topple small countries, yet still not a nightmare for the GM to mess around with (Oh, so my invulnerability saved me from the falling mountain, but if I switch to Superstrength to move it, I'll be crushed? Huh...gimme a sec.)

If you had to play a DC character' date=' whom would you choose as your character... [b']AND WHY?[/b]

You may make these assumptions:

1. This is a multi-player game (5-8 players)

2. The setting is the DC Universe

3. You may choose any HERO in the DC Universe to play.

4. Point totals will reflect the character in ANY continuity (point equity is not an issue)

I'm trying to piece together the most popular types of characters for an upcoming gaming endeavor. It’s important that you be as honest with your choice as possible.

I, for one, have different answers to this question on different days. Thus, I realize that this is a snapshot of your preferences today and that tomorrow you may change your mind. However, I’ve also been around comic book fans a long time, and each fan seems to carry with them a certain fascination or connection with one character despite changing fads. It’s that character that I’m looking for.

It’s important that you complete your choice by answering WHY you chose that character. Feel free to debate the choices if you wish.

I'd like to thanks for all for your help in advance.

- GA

The bat...tres cool and the biggest skill monger of them all...:)

Nightwing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Grayson

http://www.dcuguide.com/chronology.php?name=nightwing2

Protege of Batman, The Dark Knight. And yet he does not seem to be as exteme. He is also a survivor of Galactic, Urban and God Wars. Not a man to disreguard. On good terms with almost everyone and one of the best at Hand to Hand Combat.

Checkmate! - Knight John Reed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkmate%21

Trained Paranormal Operatives, Super Agent, and lots of Gadgets & Gear. I loved the agency, but his character really made my comic.

Starman (alias Will Payton)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_%28comics%29

http://www.dcuguide.com/Star/Star.php

A character of great potential and power. He met the BEST and BRIGHTEST of the DC Universe. He learned and understood the ultimate sacrifice.

Cheers

QM

The Flash (Wally West). I love his legacy, he's the greatest speedster ever and I like his down to earth attitude.

Baring that, Wonder Woman would be a close second pick. I enjoy the epic nature of her stories and have enjoyed her personality in many of it's incarantaions. Her powerset, however, is less uniqe in the DCU then the Flash. If somone else was playing Supes or Captain Marvel, I probably wouldn't bother with her. I mean, the Flash is the Fastest Man Alive. Diana isn't really "the best" at any one thing, but she's positivly amazing at several of them.

Having to pick just one:

The Ted Kord Blue Beetle: An inventor/gadgeteer and martial artist with a sense of humor. If played at the time that he still owns Kord Omniversal Research and Development, then there's lots of room for story hooks around not only his personal life but also around his company.

However, there are a couple of classic characters that would also be tempting:

The Alan Scott Green Lantern: A true hero with a great power who is normally cool and collected but still agonizes over mistakes that he's made. It would also be fun to play the veteran hero who has many tales to tell and adventures to draw lessons from.

The Jay Garrick Flash: Another cool and collected veteran who is a mentor to a whole line of speedsters.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Martian Manhunter.

(Note: I don't actually read comics. But I got into Champions, and like the various animated/live action adaptions. And JL and JLU are awesome)

(Specifically, J'onn is just awesome as commander/coordinator, he has diverse powers, an interesting past... I just like _everything_)

In a game in the DCU, I wouldn't worry much about upstaging anyone. Even if it wasn't point balanced, he just doesn't seem the sort.

1. I'd pick Sentinel, Alen Scott, the first Green Laturn. He has over the years become what other GL's want to be. A mystic GL with a will as strong as any of them and more than that, he had human fear to drive him beyond he's limits.

2. I'd pick Kyle, what Alen Scott is and what Hal was. A GL that had the will, the smarts and more important he had what Alen had, human fear and the moral strength to overcome it. Plus he is a real legacy hero.

3. I'd have to pick Jay Garrett, the first Flash. He is the one that Barry looked to the most, he was the one that taught the other speed-force users the true meaning of being a hero.

adding a 4. The new Dr Fate, the son of the first Hawkman. A human with the power and wisdom of Fate. He uses that wisdom to know when not to get involved and the humanity to know when to. again a real legacy hero.

Nightwing.

I like the idea of being in a legacy. I like the idea of being a nice guy. I like the idea of ubercompetence.

Yeah. That is a good one.

Plus the fact that everyone respects him, from the lowliest Titan, up through Superman.

Good call.