If You Had To Play a DC Character…

GoldenAge

If you had to play a DC character, whom would you choose as your character... AND WHY?

You may make these assumptions:

1. This is a multi-player game (5-8 players)

2. The setting is the DC Universe

3. You may choose any HERO in the DC Universe to play.

4. Point totals will reflect the character in ANY continuity (point equity is not an issue)

I'm trying to piece together the most popular types of characters for an upcoming gaming endeavor. It’s important that you be as honest with your choice as possible.

I, for one, have different answers to this question on different days. Thus, I realize that this is a snapshot of your preferences today and that tomorrow you may change your mind. However, I’ve also been around comic book fans a long time, and each fan seems to carry with them a certain fascination or connection with one character despite changing fads. It’s that character that I’m looking for.

It’s important that you complete your choice by answering WHY you chose that character. Feel free to debate the choices if you wish.

I'd like to thanks for all for your help in advance.

- GA

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If You Had To Play a DC Character…

AH, an intriguing "Elseworlds" concept. The premise of there being actual "heroes" in the DC Universe is a unique twist.

Okay, bitter post-"Infinite Crisis" cynicism aside, my choice is Superman. The first superhero, the best hero. I've played watered-down versions to the limit of points in three distinct campaigns. In game terms, I might actually hesitate to play the Real Kryptonian because, "If anything is possible, nothing is interesting." Or, as a friend liked to put it, "The rest of the Justice League members are just there to kick the kryptonite away."

Superman is focussed, unwavering, and compassionate. Real life so often seems the antithesis of these elements that when I slip into gaming-escapist mode, I want to imagine a breath of fresh air.

Mostly I like to play a hero that, when s/he arrives at the scene of the crime/disaster/emergency, the cops', firefighters', soldiers', and especially civilians' immediate reaction is "WHEW, thank goodness you're here!"

Obvious alternate choice: Captain Marvel.

I don't know if that answers your poll, but it was fun to write out.

Similar to the Marvel thread, it depends on campaign theme. Galactic, cosmos shaking events draw me towards Superman. Street level "Gotham City Rules" and I bring out the Creeper. If the campaign is heavily magic-themed, I want Captain Marvel.

Similar to the Marvel thread' date=' it depends on campaign theme. Galactic, cosmos shaking events draw me towards Superman. Street level "Gotham City Rules" and I bring out the Creeper. If the campaign is heavily magic-themed, I want Captain Marvel.[/quote']

The theme is 4-Color Super Hero

Do your best to choose one and explain why that hero appeals to you above all others:thumbup:

AH, an intriguing "Elseworlds" concept. The premise of there being actual "heroes" in the DC Universe is a unique twist.

Okay, bitter post-"Infinite Crisis" cynicism aside, my choice is Superman. The first superhero, the best hero. I've played watered-down versions to the limit of points in three distinct campaigns. In game terms, I might actually hesitate to play the Real Kryptonian because, "If anything is possible, nothing is interesting." Or, as a friend liked to put it, "The rest of the Justice League members are just there to kick the kryptonite away."

Superman is focussed, unwavering, and compassionate. Real life so often seems the antithesis of these elements that when I slip into gaming-escapist mode, I want to imagine a breath of fresh air.

Mostly I like to play a hero that, when s/he arrives at the scene of the crime/disaster/emergency, the cops', firefighters', soldiers', and especially civilians' immediate reaction is "WHEW, thank goodness you're here!"

Obvious alternate choice: Captain Marvel.

I don't know if that answers your poll, but it was fun to write out.

That's just about what I'm looking for. There's more to these characters than simple power sets... They're established, have well defined personalities and (as Superman has for you) they bring a certain aura with them when they enter a room (so to speak).

It's the combination of these things that I'm looking for.

Similar to the Marvel thread' date=' it depends on campaign theme. Galactic, cosmos shaking events draw me towards Superman. Street level "Gotham City Rules" and I bring out the Creeper. If the campaign is heavily magic-themed, I want Captain Marvel.[/quote']

Since it is a 4-Color campaign (not galactic - though I don't see why Superman or - on the Marvel side - Silver Surfer can't fit in a 4-Color campaign) why would you choose Captain Marvel? (He's a particular favorite of mine too);)

I want to say I'd pick Batman, because he is (in my opinion) the coolest, and the most believable.

Unfortunately, my inner munchkin is screaming, "Superman! SUPERMAN! SU! PER! MAN!!!!" :P

Franklin

I've played a homage to Dr. Midnight. He'd be OK. Again, a character I can do more with because his published history leaves room to maneuver. For a higher power campaign, probably the Martian Manhunter for similar reasons, plus the character always had an appeal to me. The Spectre would be a great character as well (my Spectre homage didn't have a lot of popwers in common though). I'm currently running Blue Bolt, which is a knockoff of Johny Thuinder's Thunderbolt. Johnny and TBolt could be fun to play as well.

[i guess I'm the odd man out in that I'd rather play a bit player and develop him myself than play an icon whose powers and personality have been graven in stone by years of publication history.]

Firestorm (original, not the new one). Green Lantern (any of them, though only Guy if I felt the group could tolerate me playing such an obnoxious character). Hawkman (cool character, but also because I'd get to fool around with Hawkgirl - gotta dig a girl with wings). Any of the JSA'ers would be strong contenders for me.

As I said in the Marvel thread, mostly based on liking the character, less about their powers. Though in this case (moreso at least than for my Marvel choices), I think they have cool powers too. Firestorm I think was consistently one of the most underrated characters power-wise; the abilitiy to change anything non-organic into anything else is just pretty damn powerful and cool. And Green Lantern's powers is just a wonderful opportunity to creatively play a character. Sure, anyone can hit a villain, but GL can create a giant fly swatter to smack 'em down!

Making it Four Color complicates it a little for me. My first thoughts would be Black Adam or Lady Shiva. Neither fit Four Color. Deadshot is definitely not Four color. Vril Dox might be close.

I suppose Mon-El. I've always had a soft spot for him as a powerful, but often poorly used character.

Or maybe Black Alice. I like younger characters who are learning how to be a super hero.

[i guess I'm the odd man out in that I'd rather play a bit player and develop him myself than play an icon whose powers and personality have been graven in stone by years of publication history.]

As I mentioned in the Marvel thread this is my problem too. I don't want to play other people's characters if I can help it.

My choice for DC would be Extraño. Yeah, I know that has got to be a really out there choice, but here there is a real value in how little there is known about the character. I read the original Millenium and New Gaudrian series, so I have enough of a base to start from, but plenty of room to go from there. I also enjoy playing flamboyant extroverted gay men, since I'm a rather mundane introverted gay man. He was also the first openly gay super hero in any of the comics that I read.

If you had to play a DC character' date=' whom would you choose as your character... [b']AND WHY?[/b]

Mark Shaw/The Manhunter. Normal level guy, neat gadgets (Mask and Baton (Assorted Magnetic SFX)).

What's interesting is that he's not a conventional hero; he's been on both sides of the good/evil fight, now he's just trying to make a buck as a bounty hunter. Public ID, rep...plus he managed to get the better of the Flash in one ep.

Just me.

A member of the Green Lantern Corps, perferably Hal, but anyone that is a member of the GLC.

I like the combo marines/mounties/round table feel of the GLC

And I love the oaths :)

"In brightest day, in blackest night,

no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,

beware my power.. Green Lantern's light!"

My other option would be the Pre-Demon Blue Devil. Dan Cassidy, Weirdness Magnet and hero who was in denial about being a hero. :)

Since it is a 4-Color campaign (not galactic - though I don't see why Superman or - on the Marvel side - Silver Surfer can't fit in a 4-Color campaign) why would you choose Captain Marvel? (He's a particular favorite of mine too);)

Normally I'm all over Superman. He's a leader, an icon, and has an angle on heroism I prefer (Superman understands he's nigh-unstoppable, but must understand his limitations that he is only one person and cannot save everyone and everything everytime. He also must walk a fine line between helping humanity and seting himself up as a world-dictator.)

If the campaign is heavily mystic-focused I'd rather play Captain Marvel for almost all of the same reasons I play Superman. Billy is more appropriate for mystic storylines than Clark is.

I would have to say Captain Marvel. He's got the power of Superman but without the pomp and ego. Kingdom Come was one of his finest (albeit last) moments. Somehow he is the perfect "good-guy" but without seeming judgmental or pretentious.

As a second choice, I would choose Guy gardner, during the time he had Sinestro's yellow ring. They ruined him after he lost it. Guy to me is the original comic book antihero. At his core, he's all hero, but without all the arrogance and self-righteousness of Batman or Hal Jordan. He's not afraid to give a deserving villain a beating.

Depends on my mood, but:

Superman, because he's the Big Blue Boyscout, honorable, good, brave, compassionate, self sacrificing, strong, gentle; all the things a Hero should be.

Alan Scott, the one true Green Lantern, or Hal Jordan, his one true successor. Alan has that first generation of Superheroes aura about him, and the power set that started with him is one of the most interesting in comics. He is also a husband and a father, with a fairly complex relationship with his children.

Hal brings in the best of the Silver Age Sci Fi, and the GLC. Only the LSH was better.

Krypto. If you can't have fun playing a superdog, you're not trying.

Hero: Green Lantern as filled by Guy Gardner

variety pack utility guy, can survive in space, fears nothing.

if a street-level campaign:

Hero: Green Arrow

variety pack weapons master, tactical, sensible, sneaky if need be.

if we're edgy or in a grey area:

Semi-Hero: Etrigan

tough, durable, mystic. can be on a hero team due to his lawful nature.

Chemical King, from the the Legion of Super Heroes. As his name implies, he had the power to control chemical reactions. I always thought this was one of teh most underrated power concepts I'd ever seen. There was so many cool ideas there. (And, he holds the distinction of being the only hero killed off because he his powers were too difficult to write.)

Supes, for all the reasons everyone else said.

The Current Mr. Terrific. He's smart. He's versatile. Hes courageous. He's a born leader. He's got a cool outfit. He's got tons of cool gizmos. He's a hellagood fighter. He's almost everything that Batman is, but without decades and decades of backstory to get in the way. And he's a legacy hero -- I loves me some legacy heroes.

Making it Four Color complicates it a little for me. My first thoughts would be Black Adam or Lady Shiva. Neither fit Four Color. .

I disagree. Black Adam (straight out of the pages of Captain Marvel comics and Justice Society of America) is a 4-color character as much as Mon-El... They're just not heroes.