Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Well, it is that time again. Time for the Art Order contest. We had a good month and 1/2 to complete it and I took advantage of that, doing mine in oil.

Here is the gist. The setting is Gamma World. We were to take 2 critters and mash them together. I went a bit out of the box and did cyberlife and veggie life.

My idea was to mesh plant and cybernetic life and I got the Cyber Veggie men. Bleh... really need a better name for them. Basically, in faux science terms, plant life got enough brain power to merge with bits and pieces of computers from yesteryear and create superfast connections and become sentient.

Anyway, since they don't really sleep (get sluggish during the night), don't eat (photosynthesis takes care of that) and they process information at lightning speeds, they are voracious readers. They consider themselves caretakers of knowledge and histories and lots and lots of useless information... they will read anything, car manuals, old People magazines of people long dead and even something called role playing games.

Like I said, Oil, 11.5 x 15. The original is for sale. As are printing rights, if it can fit anyone's needs... this is truly an odd one!

cyberveggies.jpg

If you want to see the other folks submissions and we broke the record on this contest for number of submissions, check out the Art Order link here. (you do have to scroll down a bit as other posts have been put up):

http://artorder.blogspot.com/

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• 4 weeks later...

First up, my good friend John C. Hocking won the Harper's Pen Award for his short story, Face in the Sea, published in Black Gate Magazine. And your's truly did the artwork. An excerpt is over at Black Gate, Link Here:

http://www.blackgate.com/fiction-excerpt-the-face-in-the-sea/

By the way, Black Gate consistently puts out great short stories and has a nice little RPG review section. If you haven't checked it out, you owe it to yourself, you should.

FitS1loRes.jpg

Next up is a Battle Nun for Death Tribble.

Battlenun72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, I've been quite absent from the various forums and threads that I usually post to. I've been busy with a local move, my studio is still only 80% set up. I've been working on publisher's stuff that is NDA and cannot share. And I've been a bit overwhelmed energy-wise and enjoying a few hours loafing at Cayuga lake this summer.

But I'm back and I'm posting artwork again. Here are a couple of pieces.

First up, another WotC artblog contest from awhile back. This time we had to work from a particular model, Veronika Kotlajic, who so generously gave us permission to work from several photographs she supplied. NOT WORK SAFE!!! Here is her website: http://www.perfectmuse.com/ NOT WORK SAFE!!!

I supplemented her photos with some of my own girlfriend holding the sword there...but y'all ain't gonna see those photos. Heh. So, in this challenge, I was going for a 50s crime novel covers (like those of my fav, R.A. Macguire) crossed with those sorta collage/movie poster covers of the 60s but smack dab in the fantasy genre. This is oil. About 35 hours. And it is up for grabs if anyone has a project that it could be used for...

VeronikaF72.jpg

Next is Turtle Armor for Death Tribble. Modify a Star Wars At-At, driven by a dwarf...and this is what tumbled out. I kinda like this one.

Turtlearmor72.jpg

Lastly, we have Heart Girl. A super heroine created by a 6 year old girl and I worked from her sketches! This was just a fun, sweet commission to be working on. Her dad wanted Heart Girl in 3 poses and that is what I did.

HeartGirl_000272.jpg

HeartGirlTrio72.jpg

Veronika is NOT creative commons. The others in this post are: