Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Hi folks, sorry for the long absence. I've had a few things on my plate, but I've been cranking away. One choke point is that I'm switching computers... but my scanner and a lot (hundreds!) of files are still on the old computer. New computer won't run my scanner, Windows 7 issues with my SCSI card.... yup, my massive scanner is THAT old.

While I've had some of Death Tribble's commissions to put up, I've been lazy about getting them off the old computer, up on to my photobucket and posted in the various threads I've got around.

Anyway, here are some of those commissions...

First up is the Terrible Terrapin, a concept from over on the Mutants and Masterminds boards...

TTerrapin72.jpg

Next we have one of Death Tribble's contest entries, Acylla. I am always excited to tackle a "national" hero that seems to be a bit out of the norm. She is Peruvian and it was fun doing the research to put this one together.

Acylla72.jpg

Lastly in our trio of ladies is another of Death Tribble's, his concept of a Super Drow. Somehow, the theme to Shaft is rattling around in my head. 'nuff said.

SuperDrowII72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

• 2 weeks later...

This is Achilles. He was the PC of Andy Matthews, art director for Hero Games. Andy passed awhile back. His great friend Jack B. commissioned this picture in Andy's honor.

I didn't know Andy super well.... but I enjoyed working for him. I was honored to do this tribute.

Achilles72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Is that the "Achilles" from Jack Butler's Global Guardians campaign?

Regardless, it's a sweet pic, Storn. (I'd rep you, but. . .)

Yes it is.

Thanks for the kind words y'all. It keeps me motivated to keep getting work done and posted!

• 2 months later...

This is just evil! I see the Storn thread come up again. I get all excited about seeing some more commissions from my favorite artist. and there are none. Man that is like getting clothes for Christmas. By the way, is he that busy that he doesn't have time to post them anymore? Storn, I for one do miss seeing your work posted here.

I posted in anticipation that the two new ones I have received would go up. He sent them to me last Friday.

But again there are new ones in the Villains Parts 1, 2 and 3 from Hero Games website.

One member of the board is going to be very pleased when they see one of the pics.

New thread or posting into an older one?

Let's see. I took some time off after a long NDA project, just to turn around and enter into another long NDA project, which I still am in the middle of. But I have been lazy and have not been putting up the artwork that I could of late. And the last couple of weeks, I've been fighting a cold. Despite that, the artwork has been produced. Including some multiple figure fantasy commissions, which I treated as full blow paintings.

So here come a couple of posts with a bit of artwork. Enjoy.

1st up, Death Tribble's Crossword and VoidWalker.

Crossword72.jpg

Vwalker72.jpg

So, like I said elsewhere, long absence from posting up artwork. Colds, large NDA projects, laziness etc etc. But the other significant thing that happened (besides setting a date for my upcoming re-nuptials) is that I got a new monitor for my birthday. My old one was really starting to go. And I've been dumbstruck at the art that I produced on the old monitor. My Art Directors must think I have no sense of value. My new monitor has been calibrated and the artwork done on the old monitor looks AWFUL to me.

But let's have an experiment. Let's see if the new monitor is actually doing its job.... or do I have to tweak its settings even more.

So. I'm posting up some recent artwork, some of the last done on the old monitor... and then a version of the same artwork "tweaked" on my new monitor. I tried to get version 2 as close as I could to version 1 on the new monitor. Which is better, versions 1 or versions 2. Versions 1 are old monitor, V2's are new monitor. Let my public speak and chime in on what works on all the aggregate monitors out there on the intrawebs!

So first up, we have Neko in Hell. I did a pic of Neko many years ago as a private commission.... and as a bigger Xmas commission, now we have Neko going down into hell to rescue her betrothed.

version 1

NekoHell72.jpg

version 2

NekoHellIII72.jpg

Next we have Dehna, a shadowy rogue.

version 1

Dehna72.jpg

version 2

Dehna72II.jpg

Voidwalker is great; it conveys the emptiness of his form while maintaining enough detail to keep him from looking flat. Excellent work.

I am surprised the monitors made such a difference. I prefer the deeper colors of the second in each pair, although I lose a little of the detail in the second thief pic as though the brightness setting on my monitor is a little too low (both pictures are terrific btw). The first pic in each pair looks slightly faded or washed out by comparison.

But let's have an experiment. Let's see if the new monitor is actually doing its job.... or do I have to tweak its settings even more.

So. I'm posting up some recent artwork, some of the last done on the old monitor... and then a version of the same artwork "tweaked" on my new monitor. I tried to get version 2 as close as I could to version 1 on the new monitor. Which is better, versions 1 or versions 2. Versions 1 are old monitor, V2's are new monitor. Let my public speak and chime in on what works on all the aggregate monitors out there on the intrawebs!

So first up, we have Neko in Hell. I did a pic of Neko many years ago as a private commission.... and as a bigger Xmas commission, now we have Neko going down into hell to rescue her betrothed.

While I understand the subject matter calls for moody and ominous lighting I honestly think that too many details, obvious in the first renditions, are lost in the second, darker calibrations. In many parts of each new painting formerly interesting techniques and details appear quite muddy. I'm guessing that there's a happy, though much more laborious, medium and more specific calibration that needs investigation.