Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Excellent! :rockon:

I love the character concept.

Oh, and since this is the most aesthetically tuned-in forum on the web:

Does anyone have any idea what a fox-themed Batman-types costume would look like? Just some description. I have the headpiece in mind, it is simply that I do not have a clolour scheme or any details of the rest of the Costume.

Can anyone help?

Excellent! :rockon:

I love the character concept.

Oh, and since this is the most aesthetically tuned-in forum on the web:

Does anyone have any idea what a fox-themed Batman-types costume would look like? Just some description. I have the headpiece in mind, it is simply that I do not have a clolour scheme or any details of the rest of the Costume.

Can anyone help?

A prior example:

Black Fox

There was also an Archie Comics super called the Fox, who had an outfit pretty similar to the Black Panther. And Zorro, which means "The Fox".

Batman hardly looks like a Bat. Just go with what looks cool, add a fox symbol on the chest, and go fight crime. :)

I think Storn's art has an Alan Davis look to it.

NOW that is one of my favorites.

But I don't think my pencils look like Alan Davis.... I've never copied anyone's style. But the combo of my pencils and inks sorta gravitate towards Alan Davis/Paul Neary at times.

Thank you for the link, oh Serpent Supreme, but Black is overrated. And I know the Bat does not look very Batty, but I wanted the Fox to be a little closer in colour at least to his totem. Can anyone suggest two appropriate colours? Also I am unsure of what colour to make his gloves, boots and belt. And can anyone suggest a symbol? I am really stuck on that part.

the foxes I grew up around where white, orange, dirty orange and dirty red-brown. Now, red-brown/ orange doesn't sound like an exciting superhero colors... but it can work. See:

http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/images/artfiles/FortuneLoRes.jpg

If it was a commission to do "the Fox", I would probably lean towards a stylized helmet that had a white streak suggesting a foxes nose...but with a bit of an Art Noveau line to it. Streamlined, almost like a downhill skier helmet... no ears... we've seen enuff wolverine and batman clones. Emphasis the eyes with a bit o white around them too. But no more white. White is not a good color for stalky-slinky types.

NOW that is one of my favorites.

But I don't think my pencils look like Alan Davis.... I've never copied anyone's style. But the combo of my pencils and inks sorta gravitate towards Alan Davis/Paul Neary at times.

you share the clean lines and sleek body styles. Alan's doesn't go for the "Angular" muscled fellows. His, even his strong men seem supple and capable of fast movement.

you share the clean lines and sleek body styles. Alan's doesn't go for the "Angular" muscled fellows. His' date=' even his strong men seem supple and capable of fast movement.[/quote']

That is one of the nicest things I've heard in years. Thank you.

Stormshadow, Dr. Destroyer's assassin Lt., is an important figure in RDU. Neil asked me to update his look... so, here he is.

SSloRes.jpg

And another Vengence! This time another assassin with a similar haircut as Stormshadow. that is just coincidence, as Stormshadow's pencils were done a month ago and Vengence II was done yesterday. This is Death Tribble's Vengence, as opposed to RDU's Vengence.

VIIfloRes.jpg

May I ask you a question Storn?

If you were going to update the look of the Champions, how would you do it?

Besides burning Darkwing Duck's costume and pimp-slapping the chap who thought it uo in the first place.

May I ask you a question Storn?

If you were going to update the look of the Champions, how would you do it?

Besides burning Darkwing Duck's costume and pimp-slapping the chap who thought it uo in the first place.

I've come to like Nighthawk. I just think of him as a Seattle Seahawk fan. And it in my mind, it is a kinda homage-homage to Alex Ross's Battle of the Planets artwork. In his hands, those costumes don't look goofy...they are kinda cool. I just try to do the same thing with Nhawk.

I've sorta done my updates quietly. In champions battlegrounds, I gave Sapphire a long duster and I thought that really worked.

Witchfire/craft/Solitaire's clothing changes slightly, but I've always kept the teal.

I like Defender pretty well. I had a version many years ago that was a bit more intricate, but I liked better. In hindsight, I would like sleeker, especially in the helmet.

I don't care for Ironclad, but that is rooted in the character himself. I do kinda like the Egyptian like motif. The strap across the chest works for me and the two-tone color is fine. I would have prefered a look that emphasised his alien nature... not a bumpy head mutant. Give him four arms or something. Make him all armadillo plated... to really earn the moniker "Ironclad". Hell, he is an alien gladiator *yawn, I hate that*... give him stretching powers and lots of HKA, spikes and blades, pitted and rusted... or something a bit more INTENSE than what he is.

What would y'all do?

Guest Skaramine

I've come to like Nighthawk. I just think of him as a Seattle Seahawk fan. And it in my mind, it is a kinda homage-homage to Alex Ross's Battle of the Planets artwork. In his hands, those costumes don't look goofy...they are kinda cool. I just try to do the same thing with Nhawk.

I've sorta done my updates quietly. In champions battlegrounds, I gave Sapphire a long duster and I thought that really worked.

Witchfire/craft/Solitaire's clothing changes slightly, but I've always kept the teal.

I like Defender pretty well. I had a version many years ago that was a bit more intricate, but I liked better. In hindsight, I would like sleeker, especially in the helmet.

I don't care for Ironclad, but that is rooted in the character himself. I do kinda like the Egyptian like motif. The strap across the chest works for me and the two-tone color is fine. I would have prefered a look that emphasised his alien nature... not a bumpy head mutant. Give him four arms or something. Make him all armadillo plated... to really earn the moniker "Ironclad". Hell, he is an alien gladiator *yawn, I hate that*... give him stretching powers and lots of HKA, spikes and blades, pitted and rusted... or something a bit more INTENSE than what he is.

What would y'all do?

Sapphire, Defender and Witchcraft are perfect as is.

Nighthawk - I agree. He's got that Gatchaman vibe. Leave it be. Oh, but he needs a throwing weapon suited to his image, but not too blatantly ripping off the Batarang.

Ironclad? Have his butt whupped by Obsidian. :yes::eg::snicker:

Having also done illo's of them...

Defender - Make his costume less detailed. I generally dislike those George Perez-style overly intricate costumes. I remember when one of the post-Golden pencillers of the Micronauts got a very nasty letter from his colorist, screaming at him the number of bands on Marionette's boots and sleeves. The artist kept just pencilling in however many looked right and drove the colorist nuts trying to keep the color spread in the bands correct.

If you look at illo's of Defender (including my own), almost everyone simplifies from the canonical picture in Champions. (To be fair, Greg Smith's inking style is perfect for that sort of detail. When I try it, he looks muddy.)

To take a cue from his homage character, I much prefer the simpler, cleaner Iron Man to the multiple versions with all the glowing bands and gewgaws stuck on him. Far more iconic, lending to better recognition.

Sapphire - As long as you keep her trendy, she's fine with any look. She shouldn't have a set uniform. I do dislike the belly studs, but that's a personal pref.

Witchraft - I dislike the wraparound skirt. I think it's boring. She should either have something more formfitting, lending for more interesting action shots, or more loose, allowing the artist to work in McFarlane style cloth. Her present look doesn't say "mystic" to me. It says "This is your mother's superhero".

Ironclad - Again, de-Perez the outfit. Too busy, and the kilt is too visually similar to Witchraft. I don't like the forehead worms, either. I don't mind him being as humanoid as he is, though. It doesn't seem like being alien is the central schtick of his character (compare to Gates of the Legion). He is a brick, a strongman. As such, in order for him to have dramatic impact, he should look like a strong man. Who wants to go "Wow?" over an octopus punching people and lifting tanks?

Nighthawk - Sorry. I like Nighthawk. Sue me. :) Well, I guess Id prefer him to be blue or gray instead of dead black. Same reason I hated the Secret Wars costume of Spider-Man.

Keith "My 5¢" Curtis

And another Vengence! This time another assassin with a similar haircut as Stormshadow. that is just coincidence, as Stormshadow's pencils were done a month ago and Vengence II was done yesterday. This is Death Tribble's Vengence, as opposed to RDU's Vengence.

VIIfloRes.jpg

Oi, Tribble! An explanation of the "V"-gun, if you please. :)

I've only drawn Nighthawk and Ironclad for Hero, but, if I had the chance to redesign the Champions a bit, I'd have to go with the following:

Nighthawk: Make him more Moon Knight than Batman ... if it is indeed an homage to Gatchaman then tech the helmet much like their outfits :) If not, play off the hang of the hood more ... drop the actual beak, but maybe add something on the mask.

Ironclad: I also don't care for the forehead worms (in fact, I prefer Obsidian over Ironclad hands down). I'd make him bulkier, bald and a bit more rough ... kinda like a metal Thing. The Egyptian style's okay though a bit cliche.

Defender: Classic is good with this character ... though I'd love to do some variant armors based on circumstance. I like the current costume better than 4th ed's version ... though I like C:NM's Defender the best of them all.

Witchcraft: Eh ... I find her costume kinda bland. I'd play around with putting some runes on it and maybe giving her Solitaire's widjet. Of all the characters, this is the one that needs Perez-influencing :) (But then, I'm a Perez fan so ...)

Sapphire: She needs to be the Wasp of the group ... a different outfit every appearance. The belly thing is okay, but I don't think it always has to be shown. I'd love to see her in an actual costume ...

Kinetik (sp?): He needs the fab five or something ... the costume seems REALLY bland and could use something Flash-y :D Seriously though, the costume could be a TON better ... something stylized and less basic.

Witchcraft: Eh ... I find her costume kinda bland. I'd play around with putting some runes on it and maybe giving her Solitaire's widjet. Of all the characters, this is the one that needs Perez-influencing :) (But then, I'm a Perez fan so ...)

:bmk:

Perez could not design a decent costume to save his life! I like the man's artwork but his sense of style is brutally atrocious!! His Nightwing, Justice, and Scarlet Witch outfits all made me want to claw HIS eyes put, so he would never inflict that sort of pain again! :tonguewav

Far from a professional (or even a talented) artist, but I'd like to add my $.02 if no one objects...

I hadn't thought the Nighthawk -> Gatchiman connection but it would go far in making him less a "Silly-Batman-rip". I also like Keith's color scheme better than the black.

Defender: I kind of miss the red white and blue look but Classic Ironman is a good fit. His armor should be sleek and cutting edge. I've never been a huge fan of the high-tech suits that are huge and bulky, they seem on the lower end of the tech spectrum.

Witchcraft: Uhm, yeah. Well, let's see she's got a similar costume, hair color, and demeanor to Solitare, and that's not good for her. I'd go something more flowing with arcane markings. Heck give her something like Andromeda from Legion with the universe pattern and the flap over her pants...I have no idea what clothing pieces are called...it could be teal with gold runes and a cloak and she'd kick ass.

Saphire: Janet Van Dyne Collection? Aisle one. (Only less demure)

Ironclad: First off, there's a reason why Storn gets paid for this. I like the bulky intense looking fellow. I'd still make him a bipedal humanoid, but weathered, intimidating look with spikes, chains, and similar "accessories" would make him more intimidating. Thought they might want him to be "Noble" looking, in that case use Obsidian.

KInetic: Anyone see Storn's character Sirroco? Oh yeah.

Guest Skaramine

:bmk:

Perez could not design a decent costume to save his life! I like the man's artwork but his sense of style is brutally atrocious!! His Nightwing, Justice, and Scarlet Witch outfits all made me want to claw HIS eyes put, so he would never inflict that sort of pain again! :tonguewav

A-frickin'-men!