Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

:bmk:

Perez could not design a decent costume to save his life! I like the man's artwork but his sense of style is brutally atrocious!! His Nightwing, Justice, and Scarlet Witch outfits all made me want to claw HIS eyes put, so he would never inflict that sort of pain again! :tonguewav

Just to set the record straight ... last that I knew, Perez didn't design Justice's look ... that was done in New Warriors when Vance took on that persona. As for Nightwing and Scarlet Witch ... I've seen worse costumes. In fact, I liked Wanda's gypsy costume ... it was 100% better than that old red outfit. But each their own :)

Guest Skaramine

I never had a problem with Perez costume design.

Oh well.

now, me, I suck at costume design...

It's just...

Nightwing had a huge tract of bare chest... and powder blue...

And Scarlet Witch?

WHO THE FRICK DITCHES OPERA GLOVES AND THIGH-HIGH BOOTS ON A CLASSIC COMIC BABE?

r something a bit more INTENSE than what he is.

What would y'all do?

Since you asked...

Defender is fine the way he is; it might be interesting to see armor variants like a deep sea-suit or whatnot (just a cosmetic change in the look, not the write up).

Witchcraft/Solitaire is pretty cool, but then, I was always a Solitaire fan. I'm not big on her tunic look (more fantasy than supers to me), but variations on the theme are good and make it seem like she has a wardrobe. I might make her a little edgier;

Nighthawk, it depends who draws him. Originally, I loathed his look, but in USPD he looked great. He also looked good on the cover of Gadgeteer book. I might go with a little more obvious armor, or vary his weapons some;

Sapphire, the Dazzleresque christina-brit-clone pop-tartlet needs a major revamp. Its not just her wardrobe, which is very teeny-bopper hussy-fest, but her personality. She needs to get a motivation. A real motivation I can buy into. the trench-coat was a good idea. I'd like to see her more chic and less trendy.

Ironclad... burn the witch! burn the witch! burn the witch! Give him a heroic meta-plot death (did I just say that?) and replace him with someone who doesn't look like Mr. Worf with Colossus' powers. Ugh! On the other hand, since that's not realistic, maybe a variation on the costume would do him some good. Or cosmetic surgery to get rid of those stupid bumps!

And another Vengence! This time another assassin with a similar haircut as Stormshadow. that is just coincidence, as Stormshadow's pencils were done a month ago and Vengence II was done yesterday. This is Death Tribble's Vengence, as opposed to RDU's Vengence.

VIIfloRes.jpg

It can be argued that some people are born evil; that some choose to pursue a course of evil; and that as punishment for our own or society's sins others become evil. The latter could be said to be true of Vengeance. His mother and father were Lethera and the Dangerman, two of the most prominent of the first recognised generation of mutants. For this fact alone were they victimised and pursued and the hysteria only increased when they came together. This was as nothing though when the public, the media etc found out how fecund Lethera was. Vengeance was her first son but she had a second then then twins all within a few years of each other. It was however when she was pregnant with quads that the size of the family came out. And it was easily calculated that the children would outstrip the parents in power level. The second child, who went on to become Death Machine, had been abandoned by his parents after he turned psychotic and attacked the twins.

The public was only aware of the three existing children, the father and the pregnant mother. Although there were concerted attempts to kill Lethera she was able to give birth to the quads but that was the start of the real break up of the family. Lethera was forcibly sterilised and ''homes'' found for rest of the family. The parents were having none of it and broke out rescuing all bar one of the quads.

The family's luck which had been on a razor's edge for years now went bad. Lethera and the Dangerman were both crippled escaping a hero team. Lethera was in a vegetative state while the Dangerman was paralysed from the neck down. Vengeance managed to get to his father along with one of his younger brothers from the quads, the mutant who would become the Executioner. The Dangerman begged his sons to end his life and also that of his wife. Medical technology being what it was there was no hope of getting either of them back into a normal state even if doctors and the authorities had been willing to try. So Vengeance did as he was asked. He and the Executioner killed his father. The Executioner however could not harm his mother. Vengeance could. The mother he knew was gone. As with his father, he said goodbye and made it quick.

Next came revenge. Vengeance blamed the heroes who fought his parents for the condition that lead them to end up in hospital so he attacked them. Although outclassed he had focus (he wanted to kill them) and power (deadly energy blasts usuable at range and at close quarters). He got away from the combat having killed them all. It taught him in valuable lessons like having backup, equipment, a get away etc. What did surprise him was that he was paid for what he did. The heroes had enemies that wanted them out of the way and he had done it. The contracts were open and they were keen to reward him. He found a niche. And accepted it. Thus was born Vengeance the hero and superhero killer. He was smart enough to seek training from other assassins in order to fulfill his vocation.

He works for some of the most nasty people as an assassin like Dr Destroyer and the Warlord using weapons and death traps to bring down targets. His calling card is a blood red V for Vengeance either on a card or from a specially designed pistol. His fee for heroes is usually quite hefty and for other important targets. But he has been known to work for lower fees either for the challenge or to settle an old score. An example of the former is the killing of 100 soldiers of the Gianni mafia clan who the Wild Bunch sought revenge on for a total of $1 million while an example of the latter is the deaths of the heads of the anti-mutant organisation the Directorate.

Vengeance is hunted by heroes and the police although he has been employed by governments to kill their opponents when plausible denial is a must have.

He uses guns and gadgets to fool opponents who think that these are his only abilities. His resistance to damage and lethal energy blasts can thus come as a very unpleasent and usually fatal surprise.

Other than his psych lims his one weakness is a vulnerability to magic.

As for the remainder of the family, Vengeance tries to maim or kill Death Machine at any given opportunity; of the twins his sister Lady Death joined a criminal cartel and is perhaps his closest sibling, his brother operates as an intelligence agent with his mastery of shapechange and disguise; the Executioner has loudly proclaimed his brother which has made him a prime target for heroes and law enforcement; Two of other quads have also undertaken quiet but criminal careers. Their incest however has won them opprobrium from their siblings; the missing quad the lost sister ended up becoming a hero.

Vengeance himself has recruited powerful allies in the mutant community and has a wife. And children himself........

The one problem I see with Sirocco as a basis for Kinetix is this:

I don't want to play the race card here...but as a person who lives 2 miles from detroit and I'm the white minority... it always bothered me that everyone on the Champions was white (sapphire's latina roots are not all that stressed because Detroit has a surprisingly small latin population...compared to other cities). Kinetix was a correction. Cool! A local, black, speedster Hero, the Champs team really needs this.

So Sirocco would have to be modified so we aren't HIDING the fact that Kinetix is black.

Easy fix, visually, just need to show some skin. And how to put this respectfully....

...I think of Kinetix as a very sophisticated young man. I think in his place, I would want to pay homage to black america, street culture, Detroit, without pounding anyone's head over it. So, if I was to do Kinetix, I would actually design him more around some SUBTLE elements of sportswear and street clothes. I'm not talking MC Hammer and baggy pants... but NIke shorts and top, show arms and legs off. Colors would that look great with black skin are orange, red, yellow and certain greens. Do a fade on the outfit to imply speed. No hood on the head. He's black, he's proud...whether bald head or short hair or even cornrows... Wrap around sunglasses...and ode to our own Pistons.

And I said subtle... it still has to look like a SUPERhero outfit. But incorporate some of his background, especially since detroit WAS DESTROYED... I think keeping Detroit alive would be important to Kinetix.

One problem with Storn's art that has not been addressed yet is this:-

In coming up with the ideas and seeing them committed to art you then come up with 'hey how about this ?'

If you can't pay for it that's one thing and if you want Wolverine (or anyone covered by Intellectual Property) forget it. But how do you stop other ideas, particularly for stuff that Storn has probably not done before, coming up before you have other stuff you are committed to done ?

Let me give you examples that have come up this year. One is a guy with a distorted head with big bulgy eyes and a long tongue which can be used as an arm and has a retractable barb for injecting poison in the tip.

Another is based on nature. Various animals have threat displays to protect them from predators. Had an idea that this guy would have something like feathers in red and black that frilled out around the neck area to make hime look more threatening.

But these are easily destined for next year at the earliest if at all.

...I think of Kinetix as a very sophisticated young man. I think in his place' date=' I would want to pay homage to black america, street culture, Detroit, without pounding anyone's head over it. So, if I was to do Kinetix, I would actually design him more around some SUBTLE elements of sportswear and street clothes. I'm not talking MC Hammer and baggy pants... but NIke shorts and top, show arms and legs off. Colors would that look great with black skin are orange, red, yellow and certain greens. Do a fade on the outfit to imply speed. No hood on the head. He's black, he's proud...whether bald head or short hair or even cornrows... Wrap around sunglasses...and ode to our own Pistons.[/quote']

I think you already did all that with Chango. :)

I like that Kinetik looks like the Flash. I'm not really into the red, white, and blue costume but I like that it looks like a costume rather than modified street cloths. It seems more cliché to me to make a black hero look "street" then to have him look superhero.

One problem with Storn's art that has not been addressed yet is this:-

In coming up with the ideas and seeing them committed to art you then come up with 'hey how about this ?'

If you can't pay for it that's one thing and if you want Wolverine (or anyone covered by Intellectual Property) forget it. But how do you stop other ideas, particularly for stuff that Storn has probably not done before, coming up before you have other stuff you are committed to done ?

Let me give you examples that have come up this year. One is a guy with a distorted head with big bulgy eyes and a long tongue which can be used as an arm and has a retractable barb for injecting poison in the tip.

Another is based on nature. Various animals have threat displays to protect them from predators. Had an idea that this guy would have something like feathers in red and black that frilled out around the neck area to make hime look more threatening.

But these are easily destined for next year at the earliest if at all.

You can certainly tell that you're British based off of your character designs. :) I spent 10 years scratching my head while reading Judge Dredd. :)

I always thought changing into a superhero was exactly this. IE The Hulk. ;)

I think you already did all that with Chango. :)

I like that Kinetik looks like the Flash. I'm not really into the red, white, and blue costume but I like that it looks like a costume rather than modified street cloths. It seems more cliché to me to make a black hero look "street" then to have him look superhero.

I think you missed the my wording and meaning "subtle". Granted, you can't see what's in my head. But Chango is NOT SUBTLE! If I wuz to revamp Kinetix, I would pay homage to some of the things I've talked about, but I think the character is 'sophisticated' and it would reflect in the costume. Of course, devil's in the details... but I happen to be pretty good at details.

I would hope that is a *good* problem to have. At least from my end :bounce: Means you still want me to do stuff.

I think you missed the my wording and meaning "subtle". Granted, you can't see what's in my head. But Chango is NOT SUBTLE! If I wuz to revamp Kinetix, I would pay homage to some of the things I've talked about, but I think the character is 'sophisticated' and it would reflect in the costume. Of course, devil's in the details... but I happen to be pretty good at details.

I would hope that is a *good* problem to have. At least from my end :bounce: Means you still want me to do stuff.

I didn't misunderstand your use of the world subtle. I just think that for whatever reason most newer black character's costumes are versions of street clothing and that it has become cliché to design them that way.

I didn't misunderstand your use of the world subtle. I just think that for whatever reason most newer black character's costumes are versions of street clothing and that it has become cliché to design them that way.

I would say 50% of my designs for EVERYBODY are versions of street clothes.

I am still not communicating what I mean well. Street clothes is not the right words. But an homage to a bygone Detroit is. And athletic is... and that is color blind. I have a visual(s) in mind that I think would work. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Guest Skaramine

Ironclad... burn the witch! burn the witch! burn the witch! Give him a heroic meta-plot death (did I just say that?) and replace him with someone who doesn't look like Mr. Worf with Colossus' powers. Ugh! On the other hand' date=' since that's not realistic, maybe a variation on the costume would do him some good. Or cosmetic surgery to get rid of those stupid bumps![/quote']

Maybe have Grond punch him in the forehead. Instead of head worms, he has knuckle dents. :D

IIRC, I'm the one who designed Kinetik's costume. The illo on CU p.79 was done without reference. The one on p.81 used mine as a reference.

Now admittedly, there are some problems with my illo. Kinetik is out of scale and too high compared to Holocaust. I had always intended his legs to be a darker color than the upper costume. I also failed to indicate a neckline. But besides the lightning shades (which I AM proud of), there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in his protrayals throught the books.

Keith "and I didn't shave his head because I think that look is overused"" Curtis

PS. Kinetik is the character. Kinetix is(was/never was?) a female Legionnaire.

IIRC, I'm the one who designed Kinetik's costume. The illo on CU p.79 was done without reference. The one on p.81 used mine as a reference.

Now admittedly, there are some problems with my illo. Kinetik is out of scale and too high compared to Holocaust. I had always intended his legs to be a darker color than the upper costume. I also failed to indicate a neckline. But besides the lightning shades (which I AM proud of), there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in his protrayals throught the books.

Keith "and I didn't shave his head because I think that look is overused"" Curtis

PS. Kinetik is the character. Kinetix is(was/never was?) a female Legionnaire.

So a crushed velvet suit is out?

Happened again over the weekend. A new hero type but possibly taken from the movies. I have seen a glimpse of something but can't name the film in question.

It's the UDMC. The UnDead Marine Corps. Instead of the zombie being the bad guy this one is a good guy. Although rather unpleasent, he doesn't eat people but he is dead.

And the weapon of choice is an AK47 with bayonet. Why ? He got fed up of the M16 and others breaking down on him.

Storn, I have been looking over your paintings, drawings, etc(again) and I have to say that to get my hands on one of them I would shoot Death Tribble. In the . . .Errrrrr, what is a non-lethal area of a tribble's anatony to shoot?