Greatest Post-Apoc Film of All Time

Susano

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Greatest Post-Apoc Film of All Time

Already mentioned: Road warrior, awesome. Six String Samurai, love it. Blood of Heroes/Salute of the Jugger, a personal favorite. Escape from New York was fun, too.

Not yet mentioned:

Fist of the Northstar (animated)

Battle Royale

Was Damnation Alley mentioned? I don't remember. I loved the landmaster.

Oh, duh. My all-time favorite: (the original) Rollerball.

I wouldn't classify dystopic futures like Rollerball, Soylent Green, Death Race 2000 or even Equilibrium or V For Vendetta as post-apocalypse. For me the "apocalypse" part means the breakdown of large-scale society.

The defining PA movie is The Road Warrior, of course. The best is probably either Planet of the Apes or The Matrix.

I wouldn't classify dystopic futures like Rollerball, Soylent Green, Death Race 2000 or even Equilibrium or V For Vendetta as post-apocalypse. For me the "apocalypse" part means the breakdown of large-scale society.

The defining PA movie is The Road Warrior, of course. The best is probably either Planet of the Apes or The Matrix.

If the Matrix took place in the "real world" I'd call it PA but 95% of the movie takes place in the Matrix. For this reason, I don't see the movie as a PA at all.

What, nobody's mentioned the awful take on the Deathlands serial novels that the Sci-Fi Channel dredges up every couple of months for a rerun?

I seem to remember a Gene Roddenberry(sp?) show pilot that was made into a TV movie about an astronaut who is put into suspended animation and wakes a few hundred years after WW3...Genesis II or something like that?

And though the short novel was better, the Damnation Alley movie was a good shot at a post-apoc movie.

Matt "Fuzzy-memory-and-all" Frisbee

Correct...

And obviously nobody on these boards but me has seen Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price,but have seen the awful remake The Omega Man.This is terrible.

Interestingly enough,the BBCTV version of Day Of The Triffidswas far superior to the 60's movie,being far closer to the source material.It is probably the best P/A miniseries I've seen,and is available on DVD.

What' date=' nobody's mentioned the awful take on the [i']Deathlands[/i] serial novels that the Sci-Fi Channel dredges up every couple of months for a rerun?

I seem to remember a Gene Roddenberry(sp?) show pilot that was made into a TV movie about an astronaut who is put into suspended animation and wakes a few hundred years after WW3...Genesis II or something like that?

And though the short novel was better, the Damnation Alley movie was a good shot at a post-apoc movie.

"Genesis II" ! Well sometimes the brain just refuses to remember the truly awful attempts at tv series that have been made in the past !

Six-String Samurai

grargh... this movie is terrible.. :)

That being said, anyone in the Pasadena/Montrose/Glendale area who are up for a viewing, I think we can put something together. I just have to remember to vacuum.

Bring Beer, it will help.

Correct...

And obviously nobody on these boards but me has seen Last Man On Earth starring Vincent Price,but have seen the awful remake The Omega Man.This is terrible.

Interestingly enough,the BBCTV version of Day Of The Triffidswas far superior to the 60's movie,being far closer to the source material.It is probably the best P/A miniseries I've seen,and is available on DVD.

I'll say double for the Beeb version of Triffids. It's got to be the best adaptation of Wyndham I've ever seen (though I have to admit I haven't seen the latest version of Children of the Damned - why couldn't they have kept "The Midwich Cuckoos" as a name? It's much more evocative.)

Apparently, there's a new version of I am Legend in the works. Maybe they'll get it right this time (not that Price's version was bad, but from what I've seen of it it wasn't too faithful).

Oh I remember seeing something called "Battle queens of the ice age" or something equally lurid...a bad film with big b**bs....what else could you hope for?

I think that one has Julie Strain in it. Its bad, but a fun Net flix rental just to see her.

No one has mentioned, NO Blade of Grass. Its a interesting movie, as a plague kills the earths Grass plants and stravation runs thru the planet. Its British Movie made in 1970. It shows up on Turner Classic every now and then.

:eg:

The protagonist's name was Dylan Hunt. The villians were transhumans bent on enslaving mankind.

Midas

I prefer Mad Max to its sequels. The three films saw the camp element escalate in each one, reaching true awfulness by the third. The second was still OK, but I prefer the first.

I also think these films are a terrific source of names for Australian supervillains. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no see, heroes. I'm finally back to the boards and I figured this was the topic for me - especially since no one has yet mentioned "World Gone Wild"!

I mean, come on! Bruce Dern as a quasi-Merlin-type, Adam Ant as the Scientologist badguy... this is f*ck*ng epic, man!

And some of the best/worst lines of all time:

George: "Oh, my God, they cut yer [censored] off!"

Hank: "Kill me!"

I can watch this show over and over again (and I do, when I need inspiration) and never get tired of it.

Ahhh, the cheese... It's so gouda, I camembert it.

J