From the mouths of babes

Captain Obvious

The other day, my six-year-old son and I were waiting out in the van for my wife and daughter to come out of the store, and he began describing "Mighty Men", this game he plays (actually, I suspect he was making it up on the fly, because he usually tells me what sorts of stuff he's playing at any given time). Whenever he's old enough to pay attention long enough, I'll be sure to get him into RPGs.

He started out by saying that the Mighty Men are cowboys who live in a jungle, where they have to fight gorillas and cheetahs, and they ride on giant bats. There is a group of knights that they fight sometimes, but both the Mighty Men and the knights fight Deegle and Spikes. These last two are apparently some sort genetic engineers, because (as my son described it), they put animals together in chemicals to make new animals. Spikes made himself as large as a rhino and put rhino horns all over his body. Deegle accidentally fell into the chemicals with a deer and an eagle, so he has wings and antlers. Some of the creatures they've made are lion-headed snakes, attack dogs the size of rhinos with rhino horns (he seemed to have a rhino theme going), and dinosaurs with elephant trunks.

Sounds like a wild post-apoc game, or some Rifts-like genre-melding thing. At the very least, if I'm ever running a dimension hopping Champions game, and I'm at a loss for a dimension the PCs accidentally find themselves in, the Mighty Men will make an appearance, I think.

Guest Major Tom

Re: From the mouths of babes

GMs should fine the nearest 5-7 year old and get them involved in World Design.

If 5-year-old advisors are good enough for Evil Overlords, then yes, let them

design worlds for the rest of us to run amok in.

Major Tom :thumbup:

I need to make a note of that.

Julianna's always available there, Sparky.

For those not in the know, Julie's my 7-year old and she continually concocts the most amazing stories as she directs her Polly Pockets and Lego people in their adventures. The kid's got more going in her noggin than her old man's ever been able to come up with. :winkgrin:

This reminds me of my currently 21-year old daughter, back when she was 7 or 8. A friend of mine and I decided to help her create a Champions character. If I recall, she had long tassels in her costume to entangle opponents, or something like that. Anyway, when working through the Characteristics, my friend asked her, "What's her EGO?" My daughter answered, shocked, "She doesn't have a EGO!" :lol:

From the mouths of babes, indeed.

I'm considering a DH article out of this. Basically a series of short setting "seeds" much like what the good Captain has posted. Would anyone have any such "game descriptions" they'd like to submit?

Ken, could I use "Mighty Men"?

I'm considering a DH article out of this. Basically a series of short setting "seeds" much like what the good Captain has posted. Would anyone have any such "game descriptions" they'd like to submit?

Your characters are space traveller explorers inside the body of a huge, 10,000 mile long living creature that is rapidly approaching the Earth's Solar System (it swallowed your ship, the first manned Earth Ship ever built with a working FTL drive). You have self maintaining Ship-Skin Suits that let you survive, but your ship is too damaged to escape. Inside the creature there are areas with an atmosphere (breathable with Ship-Skins), and entire civilizations of parasites that may have evolved from other travellers. Your goals: Make contact with the creature, or escape and warn Earth!

When my kids make up adventure stories, they come out sounding like video games. Which is funny, because we don't play video games at our house (except an occasional Flash game at a web site like Nick Jr.). My four-year-old made a book (stapled and everything) the other day about a kid who takes a dangerous journey through mountain tunnels. At the end he meets an evil robot and beats it by draining its gasoline tanks. My older son used to make up stories about Everything-Proof Man and his enemy Half Man (half human, half robot). Usually EPM's spinosaurus mount wound up defeating Half Man's T-rex mount.

Julianna's always available there, Sparky.

For those not in the know, Julie's my 7-year old and she continually concocts the most amazing stories as she directs her Polly Pockets and Lego people in their adventures. The kid's got more going in her noggin than her old man's ever been able to come up with. :winkgrin:

Where and when do we lose that easy, flowing creativity....?

Hey Capt. it sounds like you have an up-and-coming GM there. :thumbup:

His ideas sound better than some of the ones I've had. :D

I vaguely remember some of my old imagination games when I was little. I sometimes wish and could more vividly remember it. Because they seemed on the surface like pretty interesting things for RPG.

Anyhoo, what is playing pretend but a less evolved form of RPGs. ;)

Right around middle to high school' date=' I think.[/quote']

You know when I think about it. I almost think imagination is discouraged then. Hmm, the best way to describe it I guess would be "make believe is for kids, you want to grow up dont you".

As far as make believe I do remember we had to make up an animal from 2 animals for some class exercise in 3rd grade. I think I made up a 100-foot long alligator that was part cat or something (I think one front foot was a cat's paw w/ claws)