A Question Of Marriage

OzMike

Hey all,

I was just curious as to how you would simulate getting married in the Hero System.

Why? Because...

I AM GETTING MARRIED TODAY!

YAY!

Had to come up with an excuse to post the news in this thread... but I was curious too. It's my inner geek calming my nerves. But why not have a discussion? Is it a transform? Just a perk? Or merely some really small writing?

:)

Re: A Question Of Marriage

Hunted: Wife, MoPow, Henpeck 17-

Vow: Poverty; Common Total

Transform: Woman into Wife [spiritual] [May by at the cosmetic, minor, or major level] (May also add Woman to Pregant Woman but then you add a linked Major Transform and extend the Vow of Poverty for another 25 years).

If you think that's bad you should see how many points in Disadvantages that the women get. Don't let your GM straddle you with all these free Disadvantages.

Congrats from another happily married man. Enjoy your day and don't let the stress get to you. It'll be a blur anyway.

EDIT: Added the ladies side to be fair.

DPNPC: Husband ~ Incompetent (can't do anything without some guidance) 18-

Physical Limitation: Gimped Left Hand (focus ~ huge diamond holding it down)

Duplication: Wife, Cook, Mother, Sex Kitten, Business Woman, House Keeper, *Hero Games Widow

Mind Scan: Find Husband 12d6

Detect: The Influence of Other Females ~ Targeting

Optional: May add followers who are slavishly loyal but it takes 9 months to build them.

*HGW = the person who sits at home wondering when the game is going to be done or when the computer will be free.

Personally, a good marriage is a blessing and not a curse. I'd write it up as a contact, slavishly loyal, and depending on what your spouse is aside from your spouse, they may well have useful skills and resources and contacts of their own. That, or if you marry to financial advantage: well to do wife (money, well off, 5 points). :thumbup:

"Slavishly" loyal? :nonp:

Buying the person as a contact or a DNPC sounds the most logical, though I guess it depends on precisely what function the marriage serves. Is it a person who's going to get kidnapped from time to time? Is it a person who has useful powers/contacts of her (or his) own? Does she know about what the spouse is up to when he runs off in the middle of the night?

Anyway, congrats, Ozmike! ^ v ^

Despite what others have said, there are MUCH worse places to be in life than married to the one you love. For all its snags, my marriage has brought me more happiness and fulfillment than anything else.

"Slavishly" loyal? :nonp:

I was going to say something too, about "depends", but then I realized that this probably went without saying, and OzMike was just after components to build his . . . his . . . waittaminute.

He did intend to actually build his marriage within HERO, right? :confused:

My wife has already posted to this thread. Therefore, I have -4 penalty on my persuasion roll to convince you that my method of how to simulate marriage in Hero. :winkgrin:

Actually, in all truthfulness it depends on a lot of factors. Really I view marriage (or at least my marriage) as a high point Contact. Sometimes I need to bring home gifts or ice cream to get certain favors but not always. I think my contact is where most of my points go on my character sheet.

Congradulations and/or Sucker, you choose.

Mechanically;

part 1-DNPC-spouse [as powerful, useful skills, 12 or less appearance]

I realize that it should be 11 or less, but spouses always get involved a little more than expected. In the ideal world, your more of a dynamic duo, but this is superheroing. Some one get the title, someone gets grabbed by the villan.

part 2-Perk:Married

It is a perk. Many institutions treat married people better than singles or non-married couple. Tax breaks being the obvious one.

part 3-start saving XPs for a Follower. I hope the potential little one is a follower, rather than just DNPC, Conact or worse Psychological Limitation:Hunting my own child who is never home and doesn't call.

DNPC or Follower.

I'll leave it as exercise for the reader to determine which of the happily married couple is the DNPC and/or Follower. ;)

And congrats, Ozmike! :cheers:

I'd say DNPC AND Follower.

OzMike, congrats! Sorry for the delay, I saw this thread sitting out there but assumed it was another "how to build something in HERO just for the sake of it" and ignored it unitl just now when my mouse landed over it and then I saw what the first post really was! Way to go, may you have many, many happy years of marital bliss and may the not-so-blissful always build a stronger relationship!