DM of the Rings

Gawain

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DM of the Rings

Aragorn: I can heal wounds?

Which raises the question: Since the Ranger class was obviously based on the character of Aragorn, thus the ability to use crystal balls at high level, why wasn't some ability to heal, even if limited by availability of herbs, given to the class to begin with?

In fact, with the example of a fighter who heals clearly before the eyes of Gygax and everyone else there at the genesis of D&D, why did they need to create the Cleric class in the first place?

Lucius Alexander

Inquiring palindromedaries don't think we'll ever know.

And another thing - what was TOLKIEN thinking?

Of course Aragorn would bear the broken sword of his ancestor - probably stashed away, safely wrapped, at the bottom of his pack. In his scabbard rather than carry something that proclaims "Hi! I'm the HEIR OF ELENDIL!" he'd have a much more ordinary, much more mundane, but above all whole and useful sword. Unless he's an idiot. And, other than things like preferring Arwen to Eowyn, Aragorn is not an idiot. (All men are idiots when it comes to women.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that it is now 0900 hrs.

I liked the one where the Orc with an arrow sticking out of its face is complaining "you sound totally retarded."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary rather liked the nazgul uttering "Insipid mortals! Can't you stay in character for, like, five minutes?"

And another thing - what was TOLKIEN thinking?

Of course Aragorn would bear the broken sword of his ancestor - probably stashed away, safely wrapped, at the bottom of his pack. In his scabbard rather than carry something that proclaims "Hi! I'm the HEIR OF ELENDIL!" he'd have a much more ordinary, much more mundane, but above all whole and useful sword. Unless he's an idiot. And, other than things like preferring Arwen to Eowyn, Aragorn is not an idiot. (All men are idiots when it comes to women.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that it is now 0900 hrs.

The world of Middle Earth is not high fantasy. Generally people don't carry swords around in their daily lives - there aren't monsters wandering around randomly. Daggers would be the norm, unless you're in the military.

The world of Middle Earth is not high fantasy. Generally people don't carry swords around in their daily lives - there aren't monsters wandering around randomly. Daggers would be the norm' date=' unless you're in the military.[/quote']

Well Aragorn was, more or less, in the military. But in the case of the sword, I'm assuming he put it on special for impressing the hobbits he was waiting for - he already knew the main one of them was an elf-geek with an uncle in Rivendell, so the significance of the sword was unlikely to be lost on him.

cheers, Mark

"Oh no, now the GM's doing it."

The biggest danger to our gaming (aside from work postponing sessions) is tabletalk about completely unrelated things. We've never had a conversation specifically about php vs mysql, but we certainly have had long rants on the limitations of both.

"Horn of Gondor: Blow this horn in a moment of need and Allies will arrive in time to give you a proper burial"

"Narsil: Sword of Legend. Refurbished."

These are great.

And so I don't lose my place, I'm on 737. I wish he had a button to see the most recent one.

That's my biggest complaint, too. I tend to jump to the current month and scroll until I see one I haven't read yet.