What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday

The 1970s was full of westerns my parents wouldn't let me go to (and there were no conveniently local movie theaters to sneak out to. Apparently this one has naked chicks and boobs in it despite the PG rating, and an actually entertaining plot. Keep in mind that it's a product of its time and you not only get a serviceable comedy-western, but clues to mid-70s American culture as well.

The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday

The 1970s was full of westerns my parents wouldn't let me go to (and there were no conveniently local movie theaters to sneak out to. Apparently this one has naked chicks and boobs in it despite the PG rating, and an actually entertaining plot. Keep in mind that it's a product of its time and you not only get a serviceable comedy-western, but clues to mid-70s American culture as well.

Oh, Lord, I so love the scene from it where the crazy half-breed Joe Knox outlines his scheme for revenge on the white man: "You've heard of Typhoid Mary? Well, I'm going to be remembered as 'Pox Knox'!" And then later when Lee Marvin takes him to a doctor to get "the cure". "What?!? I thought you just gave me a pill!" "Pill? WE get rid of this the way you got it!"

It was one of my father's favorite comedies, and when he was dying and still at home I got a copy and showed it to him. He managed a smile here and there, which, given his body-wide bone cancer, I considered a major victory at the time.

War Of The Worlds from -52. The square-jawed scientist' date=' the woman bringing coffee, the histrionics, the cheesy-lame-but-kinda-cool SF/X ...[/quote']

1953 actually...and the film won in Oscar for special FX. Still easily my favorite version of this story.

The Baxter.

Anyone remember the State? It was a sketch comedy show on MTV?

$240 worth of pudding? Barry And Levon? Awww Yeah...

I'm Doug...and I am outaheeeere.

...they made a movie.

About a nice guy.

Funny. Awkward. Nothing original.

Michelle Williams is cute enough to eat with a spoon though.

The end after the credits is pretty nice. :)

Paul Rudd!

An almost random Netflix suggestion based on the fact that I'd recently watched Valhalla Rising and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena... a movie I'd never heard of called Centurion.

Michael Fassbender (of X-men: First Class fame) as a Roman centurion in the 2nd century, dealing with the most difficult opponents of the time, the Picts. Olga Kurylenko plays a badass pict tracker. Lots of head and limb severing, lots of disembowling. Plot is simple but effective.

Deadliest Warrior Season 1: Episodes 1-3

While it is very interesting to see what sort of damage the weapons do, I think there is some interesting omissions from the process. For instance, in the Viking vs Samurai episode, there was no mention on the relative resistance of the samurai armor. I've noticed a couple of inconsistencies like that. There also seems to be a bias toward the faster guy, and with somewhat of a good reason. Not sure that I take the conclusions with anything less than a shaker of table salt, but the show is very entertaining. No matter the winner, the end fight scenes are pretty well choreographed.

I saw the first episode of Alphas. It was what I expected, a pastiche of Heroes and a cop show. It reminded me a little of that Heroes episode where they went into the future and Parkman worked for the Feds. You could make a fun campaign out of this idea with a little cribbing from No Ordinary Family and the 4400. The show had some interesting power builds and characters. The writing is better than No Ordinary Family so far. Worth checking out if you have a minute. I saw it on Hulu.

I saw the first episode of Alphas. It was what I expected' date=' a pastiche of Heroes and a cop show. It reminded me a little of that Heroes episode where they went into the future and Parkman worked for the Feds. You could make a fun campaign out of this idea with a little cribbing from No Ordinary Family and the 4400. The show had some interesting power builds and characters. The writing is better than No Ordinary Family so far. Worth checking out if you have a minute. I saw it on Hulu.[/quote']Based on your review, I checked it out. I actually like the show a lot. Better than No Ordinary Family to say the least. I was pleasantly surprised to see the guy who played one of the Squinterns from Bones on there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Big Trouble in Little China

Been a long time since I pulled this off of the shelf. Still love it.

We watched that on Sunday. Tavish had seen it, but he was too young to remember it. :) we watched it again on Monday. He did have to hide his eyes at the "hell of the upside down sinners" and squirmed behind me when the "ogre" came out. That is what he calls the orangutan from Heck.

We watched that on Sunday. Tavish had seen it' date=' but he was too young to remember it. :) we watched it again on Monday. He did have to hide his eyes at the "hell of the upside down sinners" and squirmed behind me when the "ogre" came out. That is what he calls the orangutan from Heck.[/quote']LOL. Kids are awesome.

Tron: Legacy

Not a bad film, but I'm sure nostalgia blurred out a lot of flaws.

The music and visuals were fantastic, the story? Not so much. It was too much a rehash of the first film's plot.