What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The music and visuals were fantastic' date=' the story? Not so much. It was too much a rehash of the first film's plot.[/quote']

When a sequel come ~25-30? years after the original I'll forgive a lot of plot rehash. The target demographic is composed of completely different people. It's basically a re-boot/re-image at that point.

via Netlix: BBC's "Sherlock", which is a modern take on Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is still a consultant for Scotland Yard, though a bit of a friendless outcast due likely to his ego, and Watson is home from Afghanistan with some minor PTSD. Moriarity is a total unknown; a nebulous figure who is only mentioned, not necessarily met yet. It's interesting how technology changes the storytelling; lots of cell-phone usage, texting, websites, etc, but they use it to further the story, whereas lots of modern retellings would conveniently dodge these things because it would be un-Holmes like.

Tiger+Bunny#14+15

Sacred Seven#1+2 new series from Sunrise,#2 has the best "I trust you!" move since Laputa imo.

Space Battleship Yamato Live action- it works well.

Space Cruiser Yamato: Revival Set 17yrs after Final Yamato. YMMRV.

Cowboy Canteen (1944)

More Than the Sum of Its Parts 16 July 2011 | by boblipton (New York City) – See all my reviews

After Hollywood CANTEEN and STAGE DOOR CANTEEN had been released as flag-wavers intended to raise money for the named USO operations, Columbia got into the act with this effort. As with the earlier two, it was an all-star operation, but in this case it was cowboy stars, with a strong emphasis on singing cowboys and an occasional ventriloquist (in the person of Max Terhune) and the ladies in the show drawn from the Columbia shorts department.

It's a lighthearted effort and a considerable pleasure to see so many of the leading cowboy actors of the era in one spot and an excellent chance to play spot the stars. It's also a fine survey of western music at the time -- at this point, western swing was biggest genre of music in terms of sales -- including swing, ballads, traditional (from Tex Ritter) as well as major talents such as Roy Acuff and the Mills Brothers. As a snapshot of the era, as a musical anthology and as a chance to see more vanished stars than there are in heaven, it's a must-see movie for the real movie fan.

Apart from Roy Acuff, Dub Taylor, the Mills Brothers and Tex Ritter I doubt I'd ever heard of these guys before. Interesting snapshot of 1944 entertainment, though.

Three old Dr Who adventures

The Time Monster which pits the Doctor and Jo Grant against The Master (Roger Delgado) as he tries to take over all time and space.

Underworld which has the Doctor and Leela assiting in a 'Jason and the Argonauts' story.

The Horns of Nimon has the Doctor and Romana doing the Minotaur story.

The best of these is the first as not only do Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado have a fine old time against each other but you have the Brigadier and Ingrid Pitt as well.

Horns of Nimon has Graham Crowden and Tom Baker trying to overact the other which is fun.

I've been watching the new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Love the writing, the characters and Rarity is so hot[/i], and I'm wondering just when Hasbro/the Hub will get on the ball and bring out the collected season 1 on DVD ad/or other collectibles associated with the series. They would make money hand over fist!

Young Guns. It was... interesting, but not very historically accurate (beyond getting a number of names and places right.) I think, if done right, with that case, it could have been a lot better. One problem was a general lack of characterization and/or development.

I've been watching the new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Love the writing' date=' the characters [strike']and Rarity is so hot[/i], and I'm wondering just when Hasbro/the Hub will get on the ball and bring out the collected season 1 on DVD ad/or other collectibles associated with the series. They would make money hand over fist!

...ok that kind of scares me.