What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Saving Grace Episode 1 and 2.

Testing a new TV series. Cute idea, but the idea of seeing the voice of Mrs Fantastic being all barroom slut is a hard thing to overcome. I haven't decided whether I like it enough to pursue it.

Sving Grace is grim from start to finish.

CES

Saving Grace Episode 1 and 2.

Testing a new TV series. Cute idea, but the idea of seeing the voice of Mrs Fantastic being all barroom slut is a hard thing to overcome. I haven't decided whether I like it enough to pursue it.

Incredible.

Tonight I'll be watching many of the Toho giant monster classics on TCM starting at 8. They'll be showing classic 50's and 60's style Sci-Fi films all month long every Thursday night, and some of these films haven't been seen on TV for years.

Just thought some folks might want to try and catch them while they can.

Tonight I'll be watching many of the Toho giant monster classics on TCM starting at 8. They'll be showing classic 50's and 60's style Sci-Fi films all month long every Thursday night, and some of these films haven't been seen on TV for years.

Just thought some folks might want to try and catch them while they can.

Rodan and Ghidrah the 3 headed monster are great...even...(shudder)....dubbed. H-man is also decent(but the subtitled version is much better). Ah...who am I kidding? Watch them all....LOL

Drive Angry. This was the worst movie I have ever seen that seemed intent on being bad. By that I mean that they were clearly going for so-bad-it's-good status, and they juuust missed. It was like Roadhouse or Showgirls without the charm. Nick Cage hopefully used this money to pay down some of his debts, because his sense of self-worth must have taken some kind of hit here.

The plot was barely existent. If you've suffered through End of Days with Schwarzenegger, you've seen this movie. This one's just so much worse. The acting and dialogue were horrible. I've seen fan made Internet Star Trek episodes with better writing. Literally. I like to see cars blow up, watch gunfights, and look at boobies just as much as the next man, but this was just a mess. There was one scene that was basically lifted right out of the Clive Owen flick Shoot Em' Up, and they even managed to screw that up. How can take a scene that was funny, remake it shot for shot, and mess it up?

Two good things exist in the movie. A demonic collection agent called the Accountant, and a gun capable of dispatching demons and gods. They are both ripe for game use. The actor who plays the Accountant has a blast with it. The gun is a nice piece of design work. It reminded me of some of the custom firearms from the movie Wanted. Both ideas would meld nicely into an Urban Fantasy game, especially one set in the Deep South or the West. Once you've seen these two things, that's it for the movie. Actually, you can probably figure out how to build those two things based on my brief description here. You might want to skip the movie unless you just really need to see muscle cars and breasts and can't find a good hot rod magazine.

Despicable Me. Loved the Bank of Evil formally Lehmann Brothers. And I liked The Minions.

True Grit (2010). I liked it. The girl came over very well for her age. Matt Damon was good and understated. And Jeff Bridges put in a performance that if it does not top John Wayne's stands favourable comparison. Josh Brolin does a good job as a weak man and is to be commended as he does not appear until over an hour into the movie.

The latest Takashi Miike movie, "13 Assassins." It's actually a pretty standard samurai revenge story, and a touch less goretastic than his most famous works. It seems there's this guy named Lord Naritsugu who's been raping, mutilating dishonoring and killing people left and right (plus he raised taxes.) Lord Doi, who's the senior adviser to the Shogun and in charge of the justice system, would like to do something about this, but Naritsugu is the shogun's half-brother and in fact is about to be promoted to Lord Doi's job. So Doi goes out and finds a retired samurai who's willing to get together a posse and give Lord Naritsugu what's coming to him.

It's a fun movie provided you know something about samurai revenge drama (they generally do not have happy endings with the majority of the cast living.)

Been the week of formulaic movies.

Scream 2 - Yeah I finally got around to it. I enjoyed it much the same as it's predecessor. Some massive plot holes, but I expect no less/more from a horror movie.

The Crazies - Watched this specifically because I like Timothy Olyphant's recent work on Justified. I can only categorize this movie as 28 Days Later-lite. I enjoyed watching this show, but nothing new or spectacular came of it.

Legion - I can sum up this movie with one thought; "almost." It was almost a good movie. It almost had a good plot. While the concept was great, the movie only "almost" filled the potential. From the acting to the way the scenes were directed, the movie fell way short of its potential. I liked it for all that, but it could have been one of those movies that has staying power. Instead, it just followed the Hollywood Standard Apocalypse Plot #3 with Edgy Bits like the pregnant girl smoking.

Justified- Season two finale. At least I think it was. The big feud between families seemed to be resolved. A good, dramatic ending.

Blue Bloods - Tom Selleck

Burn Notice - I really like the style of story telling.

Castle - Fun every time and as serious as a heart attack.

Chuck - Guilty pleasure.

Doctor Who - Not liking the new Doc.

Eureka - Problem solving Jack's way. LOL

Hawai 5-0 - Got worse as the season went on. I am gonna Drop it.

NCIS - Great Cast, Writers, and Banter.

NCIS: LA - I like Linda Hunt.

Cheers

QM

Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Alex Burrows, who most commentators should have been suspended for biting Patrice Bergeron in Game 1, scores two goals including the game-winner eleven seconds into overtime. Vancouver has a 2-0 series lead going into Boston, and the cup could be won on Versus (the sports network that is most notable for not being part of the ESPN family of networks and being considered an inferior second cousin -- about all they've really got are hockey, cagefighting and cycling).