What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Watched last Friday's episode of Grimm. I would so love to play in that game!

Also MLP:FIM (the episode where Pinkie Pie has to change diapers).

In which Pinkie steals jokes from Stephen Wright.

Tried watching the new show Alcatraz. I really tried to enjoy it. Another one of those shows that has a formula spread out on the table and they still miss hitting the right notes at just the right time. I'll probably watch an episode or two more just to confirm my impression, but I was not engaged on any real level. In fact, I felt like I needed to do something else so I typed up a report while it played in the background. Too bad, as I like Sam Neill.

Warriors of Heaven and Earth -- It has a lot in common with Musa, but with strong supernatural elements. In fact, it would make an excellent fantasy adventure, although the deus ex machina ending might be a bit much in a RPG setting.

The Wandering Swordsman -- An early (1969) Shaw Brothers film. Interesting in that it shows elements of what will become a staple of wuxia movies -- flying men, but it also suffers from late 1960s fight choreography, plotting, and direction. Our hero is a bit too good and his fights are rather boring as a result (until the end.) Still it was interesting to see a young Wu Ma as a villain and the film is a great example of how a PC could engage in a solo Ninja Hero-eque adventure.

Growing the Big One, a Hallmark Channel romance about a radio show host who inherits her grandfather's debt-ridden farm and enters a giant pumpkin growing contest to pay it off.

I'm not proud, but I've watched worse things because Kavan Smith was in them. Plus, you get to see Shannen Doherty flop into a big pile of manure, which I suspect means Alyssa Milano bought copies of the DVD in bulk.

Lost Girl, a new series on SyFy. It's about a woman who find outs she's a succubus. The rest of the fae world wants her to join the light side or dark side, but she chooses to side with humanity. The pilot was entertaining enough for me to stick with a few more episodes.