What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I watched the George C Scott A Christmas Carol, then the 2009 Disney motion-capture A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey. The former is a my favorite, the latter is very, very good. Despite the weird bit with the horses chasing Scrooge.

Oh, look. The Bad Astronomer's latest blog post is all about Battle: Los Angeles, another story written by dolts who think aliens in need of water would have to invade Earth for it.

His rant isn't quite as "expressive" as mine, but it's more informative.

Battlestar Galactica rant #2:

In the episode Hand of God we're back to the "scarcity" theme, and this time it's fuel. Okay, this is more plausible than running out of water... there are any number of high-tech spacecraft fuels which would be hard to find. So, what do they use? Tylium. Oh... I see the problem here. That's not just rare, it's non-existent.

Why, why, why, when there are so many plausible, realistic, alternatives that actually exist, these ignorant clueless pathetic hollywood hacks insist on just making something up?

But aside from the occasional @$$-hat scientific gaffe it's a pretty good series.

Oh' date=' look. The Bad Astronomer's latest blog post is all about Battle: Los Angeles, another story written by dolts who think aliens in need of water would have to invade Earth for it.

In the episode Hand of God we're back to the "scarcity" theme, and this time it's fuel. Okay, this is more plausible than running out of water... there are any number of high-tech spacecraft fuels which would be hard to find. So, what do they use? Tylium. Oh... I see the problem here. That's not just rare, it's non-existent.

Why, why, why, when there are so many plausible, realistic, alternatives that actually exist, these ignorant clueless pathetic hollywood hacks insist on just making something up?

But aside from the occasional @$$-hat scientific gaffe it's a pretty good series.

Battle: Los Angeles NEVER actually stated why the aliens were here. That was just some stupid TV reporter being stupid...I mean guessing.

Nu BSG used Tylium as a fuel because the original did, IIRC. Which I might not be, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Oh' date=' look. The Bad Astronomer's latest blog post is all about Battle: Los Angeles, another story written by dolts who think aliens in need of water would have to invade Earth for it.

So how many DCs =

2 x 1032 Joules ?

So how many DCs =

2 x 1032 Joules ?

Off-topic math-type stuff. (Which might be wrong.)

One possible starting place for this calculation is the ammo table in Dark Champions: it lists damage for a number of "real world" ammo types with known muzzle energies. (Another is the damage value given for TNT, which also has a known energy yield in joules.)

I've got Dark Champions handy here; the ammo table is on p203. A .22LR does 1d6K damage (3DC), and per the wiki it has an energy of 141J. (solid round)

Each doubling of the energy adds a DC, so approximately 103 DC's using this method.

In pretty quick order here ...

Hanna.....I liked it. A young girl is raised to be an assassin by her ex spy father. The fathers old handler comes a calling and death and mayhem about. I thought this was gonna be a spy/Borne type of thriller, but in some ways, its really a clever black comedy....Blu ray was excellent...

Conan. Look I like Jason Mooma and the movie was fun.

Sherlock Holmes 2. I had a good time, Stuff blew up, holmes figured things out. Watson shot dudes and steampunk fashion was the order of the day.

American horror Story. I very much enjoyed the season ender. IT went some places I didnt expect. I am looking forward to next seasons new house and family.

It sounds like your standard is a no-win situation for the writer: use known science badly and get criticized, or use fake science and get criticized. If they use known science accurately, none of their stories can take place and there's no show.

Unknown with Liam Neeson. It was good in parts, but Taken was much better.

The Muppets Christmas Carol. It was very well done, considering. The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come are all original Muppet designs, with Present being one of the most awesome depictions of the character I've seen. Present is also a great stand-alone character and I could easily see a giant with his personality being used in a fantasy game.