What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Murder on The Orient Express 1974 film. Overall not too bad, very nice having 4 legends of the screen & stage in the same film: Sir John Gielgud, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman & Sir Sean Connery. I also liked that the film stayed close to the book. The downside was i didn't buy Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot, IMO Sir Alec Guinness would have been a better choice if he was available.

Murder on The Orient Express 1974 film. Overall not too bad' date=' very nice having 4 legends of the screen & stage in the same film: Sir John Gielgud, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman & Sir Sean Connery. I also liked that the film stayed close to the book. The downside was i didn't buy Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot, IMO Sir Alec Guinness would have been a better choice if he was available.[/quote']

It was remade for television in the last decade or so as a vehicle for David Suchet, television's definitive Poirot. I haven't seen it yet. My understanding is that a controversial and anachronistic stoning scene was thrown in for no apparent reason and that got some people upset (they did not stone people in 1930's Turkey, which was ruled by a secular dictatorship).

Bunraku -- a surreal pulpish film of revenge in which two loners come to a town and clean it up. While IMDB gives it a 6.1, I give it around an 8 or so. But then, it's quirky nature appealed to me.

The Storm Warriors, the official sequel to The Storm Riders. It has a decent cast and great action scenes, but the latter quarter of the movie is kinda blah. However, the 'thousand sword river' attack performed in the opening 10 minutes are so makes up for a lot. It is also much better than the Zu Warriors remake, which (IMO) wasted the talents of its cast.That said, both the Zu remake and this film (as well as The Storm Riders are near required viewing (even if just once) for anyone who wants to see how extreme Asian martial arts fantasy can get. Also, the fight between Cloud, Wind, and Lord Godless beats out just about any magical duel seen in any Hollywood movie, ever. The only thing that comes close is Dumbledore versus Voldemort in Order of the Phoenix.

Sherlock, the new (2010) BBC Sherlock Holmes series, set in the present.

We are 2 episodes in and finding it very well done.

BBC television obviously work different than US TV. Each season is three 90 minute episodes, Season 1 in 2010, Season 2 is set to air in 2012.

I don't see the gripe Really. While I liked the Dolph Lundgren Movie, I didn't consider that to be the Punisher. Thomas Jane's take felt to me that he was channeling Taxi Driver through the whole movie, though I still enjoyed it and thought it was a good time. War Zone, Hell that was basically Welcome Back Frank, on the big screen. We went as a group to see that one and out of that group, everyone's ex military and mostly ex spec forces of one type or another (Rangers Seals and More oh My.....) and we all had a fantastic time, so we're puzzled by the Hate, both as Action movie fans, and Fans of the material. Different Strokes I guess.

~Rex

Ray Stephonson did a great job, out of all the Punisher movies, thats how I picture him. Lots of action and high body count

I liked every single Punisher movie and they all had a different tone. Lundgren's was just another 80's action flick, Thomas Jane's was a very dark and brooding story. Ray Stevenson's was almost a throwback to the cheesier 80's action flicks. Of the three, I actually liked the last one least, but I still liked it.