What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just watched the first two episodes of Planetes, an anime series set in the late 2060's during the rise of space travel. It follows a space debris cleanup crew through their everyday life, working to clean all of the crap floating in orbit around the Earth after a shuttle carrying civilians was destroyed by a screw traveling at several meters a second.

Like many anime, it has its goofy moments, which is one of the things I don't like about most anime series. But it has a surprising large amount of hard science behind it, and they're obviously trying to portray things as realistically as possible. Definitely going to keep watching it.

The mummy trilogy - Mummy, Mummy's return and Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. All in all, surprisingly good and much less cheesy than expected. Interestingly, the "son" character was much more competent and less annoying as a 6 year old than a 20-something year old.

I'm inclined to see the Scorpion King now, to round out the set.

cheers, Mark

The mummy trilogy - Mummy, Mummy's return and Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. All in all, surprisingly good and much less cheesy than expected. Interestingly, the "son" character was much more competent and less annoying as a 6 year old than a 20-something year old.

I'm inclined to see the Scorpion King now, to round out the set.

cheers, Mark

Scorpion King is released after Mummy 2 and before Mummy 3. Don't forget Scorpion King 2 as well.

I recently rewatched Blue Velvet, completely different thoughts now from when I first saw it some 20 years ago. Then - "huh?" Now - "Lynch, you're screwed in the head, but that was really well done"

Naturally, the wife wanted to see Twin Peaks next. The first DVD has the International Release with the alternate ending (making it a one shot instead of a series). Which makes the Black Lodge as the ending a COMPLETE NON-SEQUITOR. I mean, seriously unconnected to anything. merf.

A trio of Statham movies.

Crank-Poisoned hitman trying to stave off death long enough to find out why he was poisoned.

Chaos-Cops try to figure out why a bank was robbed when nothing was taken.

Transporter 2- Chauffer and criminal driver versus mercenary assassin.

CES

Just finished watching The Mummy 3.

Love the yetis.

Yeah, I loved that bit too. One of the nice thing about the series was the way they added so much extra stuff without it seeming too forced. You have this standard Pulp sequence, defending the temple against asiatic hordes and then - without any warning - it's OMG, Yetis! :D

cheers, Mark

Yeah, I loved that bit too. One of the nice thing about the series was the way they added so much extra stuff without it seeming too forced. You have this standard Pulp sequence, defending the temple against asiatic hordes and then - without any warning - it's OMG, Yetis! :D

cheers, Mark

And she speaks yeti. :D lol. I love the end too. Jonathan moved to Peru and OMG mummies were discovered...

I think the main villain is cool to. Asian warlord/stone golem/master of elements-wizard/shapeshifer; and none of it seemed forced at all.

I also loved the small things they were there for laughs, the mule in the airplane, Jonathan gives him an airsickness bag, the terracotta warrior crawling menacingly on the ground, those kind of things.

cheers, Mark

rewatching the sequence it appears one of the yeti shows a martial arts kick from the roof.

Just thought I'd share -- yetis who know martial arts!!

No, How can recommend to Markdoc to forget something I haven't seen yet. ;)

unless you are making a recommendation.

I've only seen the commercials, but I have seen the first one. So, by extrapolating probable quality based off of these two sources, you could say I'm making an anti-recommendation.

And yeah, I love the first two Mummy movies quite a bit, and even saw Scorpion King on opening day. Just struck me as a somewhat lame version of the original Conan movie. Which is too bad, because the "Rock" should be a fantastic action star (for the one movie where this is true, see "The Run Down").

OKay' date=' saw the Batman and the Brave and the Bold cartoon "Fall of the Blue Beetle" in its entirety. I must admit, it was pretty good. Ted got a lot of respect in this one, and nothing was taken from Jaimie[/quote']

Yeah, that was the first episode of the B: B&B cartoon I'd seen, and I must say I was impressed.

Also watched the first two eps. of Wolverine and the X-Men, and while I hate how it's so centered on Logan, and the animation is rather sub-par, it was still a very cool cartoon with a pretty decent concept.

Igor- I liked it, even though my son and I were guessing what would happen about 80% of the time. Donnie liked Scamper the immortal rabbit saving the day. The little touches appealed to me, even the blind orphans singing I can See Clearly Now at the end.

Hitman- It was okay, and Olyphant was good as the assassin, but it was the same organization turns on assassin plot I have seen done better in other movies. I know this has happened in real life, and it creates conflict, but in this case, it made no sense unless the assassin is as disposable as dirty socks after years of training and indoctrination.

CES

Let's see...

Desert Punk -- Post-Holocaust action-adventure comedy. I lost interest after episode 6 and returned it to a friend who I borrowed it from.

Wonderful Days -- Korean CGI/Cell animated post-holocaust science fiction film. Very interesting look at class struggle and the like.

The Boondock Saints -- Two fine Irish lads decide it's time to strike back at criminal scum. A Dark Champions origin story if there ever was one.