What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

• 2 weeks later...

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Just watched Torpedo Run, a war drama from the 1950's in which Glenn Ford plays a submarine commander who becomes obsessed with sinking a Japanese carrier to the point that it becomes his own personal Moby Dick. He pays a terrible price for his obsession, losing his only friend and something much, much worse in the course of his quest. Ernest Borgnine played the Starbuck figure in the story.

The movie was nominated for a Special Effects Oscar. I found there is something fundamentally chilling about the torpedo.

Just watched Torpedo Run' date=' a war drama from the 1950's in which Glenn Ford plays a submarine commander who becomes obsessed with sinking a Japanese carrier to the point that it becomes his own personal Moby Dick. He pays a terrible price for his obsession, losing his only friend and something much, [i']much[/i] worse in the course of his quest. Ernest Borgnine played the Starbuck figure in the story.

The movie was nominated for a Special Effects Oscar. I found there is something fundamentally chilling about the torpedo.

I remember that one. One of the best films about subs ever made by the US establishment.

Saw the first half of Richard Dawkins' Enemies of Reason DVD. When all you ask of people is a little sanity, and you can't even get that...

Watched Wall-E with the boy. I liked it even with the holes I saw. My boy got a laugh out of the bot boxing back buffer. We liked the shorts more than the main movie.

CES

There is a great deal of sorrow in Wall-E. That the film is still humorous while understanding the scope of Mankind's tragic fate is its genius.

I am really looking forward to Up....

The Guild season 2

Legend of the Seeker ep 10 (I was wondering if the series would show everything of the books, and was happy they did eventually introduce Mord Sith and how they were handled in the series - it's still Xena with a better level of quality, but at least they aren't homeopathing myth)

BSG ep 16

First half of the first ep of Stephen Fry in America. It surprises me how much he loves America, as that isn't the impression he gives in his other shows (most notably QI when he has Rich Hall as a guest - or that just might be Rich's peccadillo picked up on).

On a World War II theme, I also saw John Ford's They Were Expendable over the weekend. It's the story of a valiant, doomed torpedo boat squadron during the first, lost battle for the Philippines. Pure propaganda, and without much of a sense of internal conflict, but entertaining as all get out and proof of John Wayne's uncanny ability to take over a movie.

The Guild season 2

Legend of the Seeker ep 10 (I was wondering if the series would show everything of the books, and was happy they did eventually introduce Mord Sith and how they were handled in the series - it's still Xena with a better level of quality, but at least they aren't homeopathing myth)

BSG ep 16

First half of the first ep of Stephen Fry in America. It surprises me how much he loves America, as that isn't the impression he gives in his other shows (most notably QI when he has Rich Hall as a guest - or that just might be Rich's peccadillo picked up on).

is that on american tv?

They're actually releasing old Hanna-Barbera superhero series on DVD? Without the snark of Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast and the like? I'm surprised.

I have the Space Ghost/Dino Boy collection. It was pretty cool, the last six episodes are team ups with Space Ghost and other heroes like the Mighty Mightor.

CES