Flash Gordon Series News

Kharis2000

From ComingSoon.net:

Flash Gordon Gets the Green Light

Source: SCI FI Channel January 12, 2007

SCI FI Channel has greenlit production on "Flash Gordon," based on the popular comic strip franchise, it was announced today at the Television Critic's Association tour. Production on the 22 one-hour episodes begins in Canada in early 2007. The series, produced by Reunion Pictures, is slated to debut on SCI FI in July of '07, with a broadcast syndication window to follow.

Under an agreement with property owner King Features Syndicate, the new series is being produced by RHI's Robert Halmi, Sr. and Robert Halmi, Jr., who previously produced SCI FI's popular miniseries event "Legend of Earthsea."

Ming, Dale Arden, and Dr. Hans Zarkov are among the many beloved characters returning to television in this contemporary retelling of the intergalactic exploits of "Flash Gordon." Stellar adventures and heroic battles mark this inventive new take on the perennial science fiction classic. The "Flash Gordon" comic strip was created in 1934 by legendary comic-strip artist Alex Raymond and is still distributed internationally today by King Features Syndicate.

Re: Flash Gordon Series News

You can't beat 'Buster' Crabbe as far as I'm concerned, although as an actor the guy was a really good swimmer.

I don't know how much appeal Flash has to modern audiences, but then again I got into it about forty years late so I guess there must be something. Fingers crossed that they do a respectable job on this one.

I actually liked the Filmation version better than the campy movie.

Keith "But not Filmation's cheesy second series" Curtis

I feel the same way. At the very least it looked (all things considered) like the old comic strip, which was nice since that, for me anyway, was the strong point of the strip.

I have an old Starlog magazine that had a small article about it that showed an unused scene where Ming is communicating with Hitler(!) I can see why they decided to cut that bit, but it would have given the whole thing an interesting twist, if nothing else.

I feel the same way. At the very least it looked (all things considered) like the old comic strip, which was nice since that, for me anyway, was the strong point of the strip.

I have an old Starlog magazine that had a small article about it that showed an unused scene where Ming is communicating with Hitler(!) I can see why they decided to cut that bit, but it would have given the whole thing an interesting twist, if nothing else.

I don't remember communication, but I definitely remember him watching Hitler on a video screen and referring to him as "my friend". If the scene wasn't used on Saturday morning, maybe it was restored when they folded the "best parts" into the two hour primetime TV movie.

Keith "Remembers thinking it was cool that Hawkmen died" Curtis

I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but I notice from that release it was the folks that did Earthsea.

Bad.

Bad. Bad.

Of course a lot of that pulp stuff was racially insensitive too, maybe they are the folks to do it. More seriously, I'm thinking with those yahoos it will be a hip, tatooed 20-ish Flash with multiple romantic interests, a boyband linkage and a (C-)rap soundtrack.

More seriously' date=' I'm thinking with those yahoos it will be a hip, tatooed 20-ish Flash with multiple romantic interests, a boyband linkage and a (C-)rap soundtrack.[/quote']

And they won't have Max Von Sydow as Ming. (I mean, seriously, who else could play the part? As abominably cheesy as the movie was, that was pure casting genius. That is, in fact, the only reason I've kept my copy of the movie...)

Wow. After the utter crap job those people did on Earthsea, I have to greet this announcement with some skepticism. Maybe they'll get it right, but I'm not optimistic. I suspect they're going to try to "modern it up" instead of keeping the delightful cheesy action and pure heroism of the comic strip. Ah, well.

I'll give it a shot. I'm a fan of the strip, the serial, and the Sam Jones film. Otoh, I agree that having it done by the Earthsea crew is not promising.

Just got the region 2 DVD 25th anniversary release of the film over Christmas. Excellent restoration; haven't seen a print this clear in years, and the sound track still ranks among the best B-movie sound tracks ever. Commentary by Brian Blessed.

• 2 weeks later...