WWYCD: We hope you're feeling better now

Hermit

Re: WWYCD: We hope you're feeling better now

Well Poet would point out that he isn't seeing or hearing weird things any more and he'd like to get out now. Unless they let him out fairly quickly though, he'll escape because he didn't like being incarcercerated in a place like this before, and he doesn't like it now.

Hellfire will assume that what she is now seeing is real, but she'll be upset her husband never happened and she'll miss being a superhero. She'll try to get them to release her so she can train to become one again.

Wizard had no powers. He was just a precociously good engineer. Either his technology still works or it doesn't.

Soulbarb has good reason to know that she is/was a super: she remembers information she could not have acquired as a normal. A normal doesn't have Soulsight, for starters. An unpowered normal wouldn't be able to find out precisely where Lord Sin is buried, for seconds. And so on. So, there's something funny going on; either dimensional travel (not again!), or mental tampering, or something of the sort. Soulbarb will play along until she can figure out what's going on; as a competent detective, she should be able to pick up on some clues that lead in the right direction in fairly short order.

Sylph is partly relieved and partly disappointed. She will be glad not to have to concern herself with the existence of her maenad side any longer, but will be disappointed that she can no longer help people as she once thought she did. That disappointment will be somewhat salved once she finds out that there is another heroine by the name of Sylph who has similar abilties as she once thought she did. She will ultimately suppose that Dionysius has picked someone else to be his Champion, and accept her status as a normal with relatively good grace. Her only concerns will be to see if (a) this other Sylph helps out with more than just typical superheroing (Sylph regularly visits the hospital, healing the injured), and (B) this other Sylph has similar problems with occasional memory loss and transformations to a maenad personality. If so, she'll offer what limited advice she can -- she was still coming to terms with those issues herself before she 'woke up' from it all.

• 6 months later...

Your character awakens in a padded cell out of costume, no mask, wearing the outfit of a mental patient. If you have powers, they don't appear to be working. If you didn't appear to be human before, you do now (Thing would now be looking like his old self Ben Grimm, for example).

Dr. Anna Kincaid comes forward to explain to you that you seem to have come out of your last psychotic episode.

Really? Waking up human would be a good way to drive Vitus right back psychotic again

For sometime' date=' she claims, you've been under the delusion that you are a superhero. Your loved ones (some of whom maybe alive again but will of course, assert they never died) put you in here for your own good and are hoping you are 'well' again. [/quote']

Since that would include an entire universe (albeit a small one) I hope that Dr Kincaid has a big visitor's longue

If you ask about your heroic identity' date=' Dr. Kincaid will assure you that hero is real, out and about, fighting crime, they just aren't you. [/quote']

Hmm. There are certainly ways that this could happen. Vitus may well suspect the involvement of the Apparatus ( a hideously versatile 'machine' that can create evil duplicates, merge souls, etc, but only has part of it's own lifecycle of rupturing realities to copy itself across the multiverse )

On the other hand... after a few surruptitious tests of his less well-known spells, and abilities, he would write a letter to the 'real' Vitus D'rhazz ul Kasrak ur R'raschd, in Samurian - a language that only he and Vitus would be able to speak and read on this planet.

it would read "It may well be that I am merely delusional, but I would suggest to meet me here to test this - or I will tell everybody I meet what you did to the sprites"

If he shows up, a quick ESP spell on his behalf should go a long way to determining the truth of the matter, and whether Dr Kincaid is going to get her arse kicked from here to the Infernal City of Dis

Truman, on the other hand, would breath a sigh of relief and try to get back to a 'normal' life, without the stresses of telepathy, going against the wishes of his insane and possibly dead mother, and being shot or used as bait on a regular basis.

Brain Eater Lad would jump up and dance a jig while singing a very bad tune about him not being a zombie, not being dead, and not wanting to eat brains. He would then ask when he can get out of the looney bin and get a double whopper.

However knowing this is a superhero universe something will happen that will show him that things aren't kosher. When this happens there will be much complaining and gnashing of teeth, between the cussing, screaming, and rude gestures.

Yoshi would confront the person she's being told is her heroic persona Icestar (which, assuming this world is generally like the one she remembers should be easily done, because her father works for the same organisation that sponsors her hero team)....see, everyone thinks she's a mutant but she secretly gets her powers from a magical doohickey called the Heart of Winter - if this Icestar really is a mutant, then Yoshi knows something's up because there are things about her that just wouldn't make sense without the Heart's involvement. If this Icestar gets her power from the Heart as well, then Yoshi knows something's up because she's never told anybody the source of her power so there's no other way she could have known it unless she actually is somehow Icestar...

Mister Nonsense: "The only problem with myself, you see, is that I'm not myself. YOGURT AWAY! ...I said.... YOGURT AWAY! ... This isn't funny Stan...." Assuming his insanity (where his powers come from) is still intact, he says that. If not, he actually agrees that has was very very delusional.

Shift: Would probably be admitted as his alias, Steven S. Swansong. After all, if he wasn't the crimefighter Shift, what were the odds that he was actually named Shift? He'd insist that he's himself, saying that there's no way he just imagined the things he's seen.

Emerald Dragon: "Oh, please. That guy is NOT me. Come on, Electron, you don't remember in that dream world when we did that movie together? There's no way he knows about that, does he? He does? Well does he have scars from the times I've been stabbed, sliced, or set on fire? He does? Does he still have nightmares over it? He does?

Okay, then think about it for a second kid, because I KNOW you're not that dense. How would I know about all that if I wasn't Emerald Dragon?"

October Raven: Being a magic-user, none of his powers are actually innate, and he also has a tattoo on his face. So, all he has to do is convince the doctors to let him out of the straightjacket so he can use his powers. "Now, Doctor, either this reality isn't real, or that man is an imposter and this is all an elaborate setup. I can't figure out what's true, but I'm sure someone can... perhaps Drifter."

Juggernaut: Would probably think she's in another dimension, again. She's got a knack for that.

Duo: If he couldn't produce his twin, he'd probably freak out. He's not too stable.

Foxbatboy: Might snap, or might truly think Foxbat is in a comic book.

Didn't see this the first time around, so...

When Dr. Solomon Kinkaid wakes up and is told by Dr. Kincaid (funny name coincidence there) the story, the first thing he's going to feel is an absolute gut-watering shock of fear, as it will in some ways be very similar to a... shall we say highly unpleasant sojourn in an alternate world he experienced at one point.

The second thought will be... "Maybe this is true." After all, the person that he's cultivated as Dr. Kinkaid is that of a wealthy but rather New Age flaky genius who bankrolls the Millennium Knights because Dr. Anomaly is the techno-mage that he (Dr. Kinkaid) would really WANT to be, if he could, had he any powers... so this means that it would cross his mind that perhaps that's the way things ARE, and that he had just crossed the line in his 'hero worship' into the delusion of thinking he WAS Dr. Anomaly. And trying a small spell of some kind and finding his magic not responding would tend to strengthen that worry.

But after he'd had a bit of time to think about it (and talk his way out of the hospital... something I'm quite confident he could do, given that his intellect was very high even before The Event [and I'm not sure from Hermit's description if he'd still have his boosted intellect or not, as it's not up in the official 'superhuman' range of 50+, believe it or not... it's in the 40s]) he'd come to the conclusion that SOMETHING was up. Step one would be to contact the Millennium Knights... not difficult, considering that Dr. Kinkaid's offices are in the same indestructible building that houses the Knights.

Given his knowledge of things... a LOT of things, including the secret society of supposedly good-guy mages that Dr. Anomaly is sometimes overseen by, and the problems they had a while back, as well as details of some distant-past and sideways-dimensional jaunts the team has been on, as well as certain very... ah... PERSONAL details from inside his wife's mind, he should be able to make a very good job of convincing THEM that something is up. From there, it's a question of figuring out the situation or solving the problem, whatever it is. If it's some kind of mental trap, he'll probably figure his way out eventually, most likely by noticing and then capitalizing on small inconsistencies and such. Otherwise... we'll just have to see. But I'm confident that he'd find a solution, sooner or later, one way or another.

(And one other thing that would help prove his case... his sister Rebecca is a telepath operating as a super-hero with a group in Scotland, and could certainly verify that he is who he thinks he is.)

On the other hand... one thing that has haunted him for years, even before The Event that gave him actual powers, was his parents' disappearance in the Bermuda Triangle. I think it's the lack of closure as much as anything that has caused the problems, he he's made periodic trips down there for years, trying (and failing) to find any evidence of what really happened to them, even if it's finally finding a sunken boat with some human remains on board. If THEY were 'alive' again... that could well prevent him from TRYING to solve the 'problem' about believing he's a de-powered Dr. Anomaly. At least for a while. And if it did turn out to be some kind of trap or other such figment, finding out they weren't really alive again could seriously screw him up.

You know, an odd thought just occurred to me...

On more than one occasion, Dr. Anomaly has created a simulacrum of himself that is basically him with all his memories and skills, but no powers, so that Dr. Anomaly and the team's sponsor, Dr. Kinkaid, could appear at the same function in public at the same time. (This 'powerless' version of himself is done with a very carefully constructed Summon, and part of the reason that version of himself is powerless is that he can't make a Summon large enough via his Magic Pool to be able to create/summon an actual, full, powered duplicate of himself.)

So... I wonder... what if the 'Dr. Kinkaid' that woke up in the hospital is a simulacrum that, for whatever reason, didn't just go 'poof' when the power of the spell and alchemical solutions used to create it ran out...?

Now THAT would be an interesting quandary for Dr. Anomaly, his team, his wife, AND 'Dr. Kinkaid'...! :eek:

Eeesh. I think I just scared myself with that thought...

This scenario doesn't work for at least two of my characters:

a) my heroine codenamed Angel - well, this just would never happen for a great many reasons. The scenario doesn't apply.

B) my toon character would have the entire hospital either telling him what's really going on or more likely, have the doctor think he's the one who needs help and my character would get out anyways.

Revenant would pretend to be a recovering mental patient, long enough to get out of the hospital. Then he would recreate his costume (the REAL costume) and then establish a new identity. Then he would disappear as his "mundane" self, and reappear as the Revenant. Although he has the power to come back to life if killed, Revenant is very careful, and hasnt actually -been- killed in about fifteen years. Besides, unless theres a Grimaldi here, its not likely anyone else can kill him, anyway.

Spirit Eagle would be confused and bewildered, but return to her normal life as a singer and actress. She would want to go visit her grandfather and ask him about Spirit Warriors. If he said "those are just legends" shed accept it, but be on the look out for anything out of place or that doesnt fit....because she cant really accept not being the Spirit Warrior of Eagle anymore. She might not wear a costume, but she would certainly help people who needed it, and might actually start patrolling.

Feline Fury would have just gone back to her normal life without a second thought, six months ago. But since then shes come to realize that as a superheroine she does a lot of good for a lot of people, and she wouldnt want to give that up. Shed do wahtever she could in a "mundane" world to help people, including building homes with President Carter and doing volunteer work. (Which is kind of ironic, as she doesnt do anything like that in her real life; she has powers and fights crime, and figures thats enough) ;)

Version One would assume the "hospital" and it's "staff" are some sort of bad guys trying to get information from him. However he would NOT assume that he's actually Version One or that the guy running around as Version One is not. Most of his memories are implanted anyway so it's reasonable to assume that they could be taken out of him and put into someone else. After talking his way out of the hospital (god knows how given how little "real" memories he has to rely on) he'd do some basic tests to determine if he's really V1. A simple X-ray or even going through a metal detector should do it. If it comes up negative his priority is to warn the "real" Version One that someone copied his memories into this body. He doesn't know how much information he gave these people (presumably he was drugged at least some of the time). The chief suspect is the evil genius (name unknown) who created V1 in the first place. God knows how you track him down. Oh and BTW would V1 or some of his friends kindly track down his real identity if any? He'd like to have a life.

Vera would wonder how the Inquisition got a hold of her... Oops wrong time period. :P Either way, she would distrust every doctor and the person imitating her. She would be quietly, but intensely angry at her companions for not realizing that the 'impostor' wasn't her. though, she would also feel great confusion as to why someone would want to be her, unless it was to infiltrate the group or get close to her sister.

Lauren would first be in a state of shock, then into the "if I'm me then who's out there playing me and meeting my friends?" stage and finally into anger "So brat stole my identity and is spending my money! Those are my Prada shoes!" The last part would come around, after she faked sanity and had gotten out of the Asylum. (And about the time she realized that her friends weren't her friends and her aggravation presented itself in the only way she knows how to deal, which is having/spending money.)

Gwendolyn would probably would have been into even more therapy once they realized that she doesn't even think that the 'real' world' is real. It's all one big game. Some of her friends would have to bust her out (or they could wait/hope for the counseling to work), but mostly I'm thinking bust out. :P

Revenant: "Yeah? So?" Being entirely self-conscious and accepting of the fact that he is thoroughly bonkers helps. I suppose. Then he'd walk out the front door quoting Heraclitus (breaking as few bones as possible; they're only doing their jobs).

Psilint: would probably have an "archetypal emergence" and one of his over developed archetypal personalities would arise and get him out. Whether it's the Wanderer by stealth, the Warrior by brute force, or the Innocent by playing along. Just hoping it isn't Corax that arises, the body count would be staggering.

Reverb: "Cool, pass the Haldol."

Peace

Mythic would be highly curious why he wasn't in a wheelchair as well as a straightjacket, since his spine was damaged when he was just four years old. If the legs work, something's screwey and he'd have to talk to his former teammates. If the legs don't work, he'd have to talk to his parents.

Arac-4105 would have to adjust to being in this 'new' body, especially coping with the loss of half his arms. Unfortunately, being human would ultimately be better for him (no hunteds, wouldn't stick out so much, better chance at making a life for himself) so he'd probably stick with the 'cure' and give up the superhero thing altogether.

• 5 weeks later...

Dr. Archeville -- who comes from a long line of crazy people, so his "mad scientist" act isn't entirely an act -- would initially fear that he had indeed gone completely mad, or may have even been mad for some time, something he is very concerned about. So, at first, he would actually & sincerely go along with the staff.

However, he would eventually -- with his INT of 35 and numerous Knowledge skills -- realize things don't quite add up. First, he'd wonder if it was all a dream/nightmare. Then, he'd wonder if it was some elaborate "gas lamping," someone trying to brainwash him for some reason. Next, he'd try and see if he's in some sort of parallel reality, and if so, how he got there and how he can get back.

Dead Head -- who'd been in and out of numerous clinics for treatments for his persistent headaches before he died & was resurrected by Lovecraftian Entities -- would also fear that "it was all a delusion," and what they say is true. He'd then try to channel a spirit (and hope that he doesn't get the spirit of a crazy person), and/or injure himself (to see if there's any blood or pain or if the wound regenerates). If either or both of those work, he'd know something's not quite right and work to get out; if neither works, he'd go along with the docs.

Knight Rider is all power armour girl so having her powers 'go away' wouldn't be hard for her to accept. She would assume that she was imprisoned by VIPER and that they were trying to get information out of her through some elaborate interrogation scheme. She'd resist with everything she had and try to find a way out. She has some skill as an actor and might be able to bluff her way out.

If she was eventually let out of the hospital and found the world out there was real (and not just images on a TV) she'd freak out for a while. Eventually it might occur to her that the whole scenario was the creation of some sort of "holo-deck" built with the alien technology and go back to assuming VIPER have her.

Alternate reality just wouldn't occur to her. Nor could she accept it if it were suggested.

Your character awakens in a padded cell out of costume, no mask, wearing the outfit of a mental patient. If you have powers, they don't appear to be working. If you didn't appear to be human before, you do now (Thing would now be looking like his old self Ben Grimm, for example). A nurse hears you stirring, and calls for the Doctor. You appear to be in a strait jacket

Dr. Anna Kincaid comes forward to explain to you that you seem to have come out of your last psychotic episode. For sometime, she claims, you've been under the delusion that you are a superhero. Your loved ones (some of whom maybe alive again but will of course, assert they never died) put you in here for your own good and are hoping you are 'well' again. The staff still has the costume you were found in , which looks a bit substandard compared to the 'real' one you remember wearing all these years, but if you say that the Doc will indicate it is part of your delusion, and the fact this looks inferior to your eyes is "a good sign"

If you ask about your heroic identity, Dr. Kincaid will assure you that hero is real, out and about, fighting crime, they just aren't you. If you are a public Identity hero, it seems someone else bears that mantle. If you are a secret Identity hero, even the few you trusted with your secret ID deny you ever were a crime fighter.

It seems as if either you are/were crazy, or the entire world is...

Since you're the hero of this story, you may think the latter is more likely.

WWYCD?

(Oddly, your knowledge gained remains accurate. If your character knew of Arcadia, he still does. He/she may know the secret IDs of other crime fighters (Though they will wonder who you are and how you found out) and so on)

Tiger Shark: Lt. Briggs would be hoping and praying that Dr. Kincaid was telling him the honest-to-God truth, and would be overjoyed to see his former handsome (14 COM) human face in the mirror again. Contrary to what one might think, there are some aspects of being an 8' tall sharkman mutate that aren't all that much fun. If his buddies that went with him on that fateful raid on Teleios's island lab are alive and well again, words could not discribe how relieved he'd be to see them again. And after Briggs starts acting like his old lecherous self and starts hitting on some of the nurses (and Dr. Kincaid, if she's reasonably attractive), The good doctor will probably declare him cured and sign his release papers post-hast.

Jack-A-Dandy would assume he was somehow back in the clutches of the elves of Avalon and they were torturing him with false memories and illusory worlds as is their wont. He'll respond as he did last time by hitting them with so many mind games of their own that he may provoke one or more of them into becoming paranoid and letting their guard down.

Conversely, once he realises that Dr Anna Kincaid is an anagram of "drank in an acid" (about 2.7 seconds) he will assume that his subconscious mind is warning him that someone has spiked his champagne with LSD and this whole thing is a paranoid fantasy. He will then determine to enjoy the experience and try to seduce Kincaid (about 3.8 seconds).

:eg:

Well for Pulsar there would be a few issues, first he was a Nano tech enhanced super soldier before he was was vaped in a nova bomb explosion and a Zero point reactor exp;losion that gave him his powers in another reality where his 'Earth' is about 150 years more advanced than this one. So IF he was normal again he would be a serious threat due to the nano tech. If somehow he had no Nano tech or the powers he has had for a couple of decades he just might be relieved, but by having his memories intact would raise a big question mark. He would either cut himself or ask for a blood test, either there would be a major radiation burst or real blood. the doctor could not have his uniform since it is solidified energy that is part and parcel of his powers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cornerstone would be very disturbed by the fact that he may have been hero worshipping all this time. Confess his sins, and repent. He would be happy to see his family alive, and probably have to decide what he would do with his life.

Silver Speedster would just say "Quick give me a mirror! I still look like me right? Right????? "

Mark IV would be human. He would have memories (hopefully) of his "real" life, and go from there.

Super! Absorbant! Sponge!!!!! - well, let's just say I'm not sure if he was ever sane. So he would probably still see if he could quote a certain sponge based cartoon word for word still.

It depends. If Pensativa could walk (again?), she'd seriously consider what the doctors were telling her. If her legs were still paralyzed, she'd think they were full of crap, because the incident that crippled her would have turned a normal into a very messy smear.

Sir Johnstone would respond based on two things.

If they try to convince him that he's not British, then he'll 'know' that they are imposters trying to make him think that he's insane. Then he would become very peeved.

If they don't try telling him that he's not British, then he'd likely be in a British mental institution. But does he still have his incredible skills? They aren't powers, just Batman style training.

If he still has his training and skills, then he'd fake being 'cured' to get out of the hospital. Then he'd go to his employer, and attempt to get his old job back, continuing as he did before any of this happened.

If he doesn't have those skills, and his 'training' and 'butling' was just another illusion, he'd stay in the asylum quite happily, all the while training himself in all the skills he thought that he had. When he was back up to speed, he'd fake being 'cured' and go start the life that he had spent so long thinking about.

If he doesn't have those skills but does have friends/family of a 'normal' life, he'd ask that they please accept him for who he is now. Then he'd train back up to speed and get himself released.