Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

The Firearm Blog linked to a video of a full-auto Glock being fired. One of the comments from the thread was' date=' "If I'm ever shot at, I want it to be with that." It made an AK look like a benchrest target rifle with match ammo.[/quote']

The weight is not on the barrel itself, and is instead in the back of the gun, which may actually(I'm not an expert by any means) tend to make the weapon even more difficult to control(the weight may subtly tug down on your lower hand, thus helping to angle the gun upward when you fire it). If you put a significant weight under the front of the barrel, and maybe extended the barrel a bit, that might help improve accuracy.

The weight is not on the barrel itself' date=' and is instead in the back of the gun, which may actually(I'm not an expert by any means) tend to make the weapon even more difficult to control(the weight may subtly tug down on your lower hand, thus helping to angle the gun upward when you fire it). If you put a significant weight under the front of the barrel, and maybe extended the barrel a bit, that might help improve accuracy.[/quote']

Gas vents to push the barrel up?

Hey, it works in Shadow Run. ^_^

Oh, yeah. Because G*d forbid that the US military should adopt *gasp* *shock* *horror* a rilfe that wasn't made in the US. :shock: Likewise, G*d forbid that the American way of warfighting should not be adopted by everyone else.

And then they wound up with the M-14.

(No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask? :rolleyes: )

No' date=' that gun had a terminal case of not-invented-here. It could have been the hand phaser from Star Trek and it still wouldn't have been adopted.[/quote']

well, we could at least have adopted its true intermediate cartridge!

IMO the rifle was a good choice too, but...

Oh' date=' yeah. Because G*d [i']forbid[/i] that the US military should adopt *gasp* *shock* *horror* a rilfe that wasn't made in the US. :shock: Likewise, G*d forbid that the American way of warfighting should not be adopted by everyone else.

And then they wound up with the M-14.

(No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask? :rolleyes: )

Well, M-14 is a GOOD gun, but it would have been a GREAT gun if we had put it out in oh, say 1942.

(haven't watched the video yet, but I wonder if he knows that he's got the dust cover closed still on that aimpoint? at at least one point during he's got it closed, but it's in a demonstration room. Also, he seems to be going for a safety many times, and the weird thing is, I can hear it "click"... however the 249 doesn't have a safety selector, the only time it's "safe" is when you haven't loaded it. Lastly, I thought they removed the "magazine" well on the newer ones because it rarely worked well at all (this I can attest to).

But cool video none the less.

Regarding the whole magazine thing with the Minimi/M249' date=' can someone tell me the point of having an MG with a [i']built-in 30 round stoppage[/i]?

iirc, it was supposed to allow the guy with the MG to keep shooting if the unit ran out of linked ammo. You could load the standard rifle mags and stay in business.

(From Wolf's post, it apparently didn't work so well -- though, also iirc, the 5.56mm rounds used for the M-16 weren't as hot as the rounds intended for the M-249. The 249 was supposed to have an adjustable gas port though, presumably to allow for this detail, which the 16 lacked. Naturally, the ammo wasn't completely interchangeable between weapons)

Now me, I've always preferred the Ultimax 100 Mk3 from ST Kinetics (fka CIS).

Ultimax100Mk3.jpg

Yes! I was very sad when the Marines didn't go with this for their IAD competition. Although to be honest the constant recoil seems to make the gun too controllable, and it would be worthwhile to apply it to a heavier caliber weapon.

It'd be interesting to see a modernized 21st century version of a BAR, chambered in .30-06 or even a more powerful cartridge(.338, .375 or .416), with recoil compensators, a helical or drum barrel, computerized targeting and perhaps an under-barrel grenade launcher(or even a one-shot AT rocket). Basically the ultimate heavy one-man squad support weapon.

It'd be interesting to see a modernized 21st century version of a BAR' date=' chambered in .30-06 or even a more powerful cartridge(.338, .375 or .416), with recoil compensators, a helical or drum barrel, computerized targeting and perhaps an under-barrel grenade launcher(or even a one-shot AT rocket). Basically the ultimate heavy one-man squad support weapon.[/quote']

I am Heavy Weapons Guy. And this is my weapon.