Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

It basically comes down to import restrictions due to the GCA of 68, and the inability to add new full autos to the NFA registry since 86. I failed at formulating a short explanation of either, so here's a blog post explaining the history of full auto regulation:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/21/machine-guns-legal-practical-guide-full-auto/

No longer produced.  Those who own them likely wouldn't shoot them given collectibility.  You could make your own but it'd be illegal unless you went through the proper ATF processes to both manufacture it ... and own it.

Those so-inclined in a Dark Champions game would probably do a 3-round, 12ga pump version with a breacher's grip by Knoxx that reduces 65% of felt recoil.  Those with the in-game money would likely buy a Kel-Tec KSG bullpup shotgun to have 14 rounds in about the same package size as the 3-rounder I just mentioned -- with none of the legal hurdles or illegal consequences to deal with.

Here is the Smith and Wesson Model 610.

610g.jpg

Though it is primarily chambered for 10mm Auto, it can also fire .40 S&W rounds (in much the same way .357 Magnum revolvers can handle .38 Special).

If you couldn't tell, I am a fan of revolvers that fire rimless cartridges.

So am I correct in assuming that if you don't have one of those 'brackets' (I don't know what they're called) you can't effectively reload the gun?

HM

So am I correct in assuming that if you don't have one of those 'brackets' (I don't know what they're called) you can't effectively reload the gun?

HM

First, those are called "moon Clips".   THere are also half moon and 2 rd versions, iirc. 

Depends on how the chambers are cut.   If they are cut right, you could individually load the rounds, and they would headspace on the case mouth.  Reliability could suffer, as if the cases are a little too narrow, the case could move forward in the chamber and the Primer might not detonate when struck by the firing pin. 

My dad has an old Enfield .45 designed to use either the moon clips with .45 ACP or the special case called the .45 Auto RIm, which is the .45 ACP with a thicker than normal rim to give the same headspace control and distance to the primer  as the moon clips.   

HM

Bingo. The "moon clips" allow the rounds without a rim (hence, rimless) that would otherwise not be properly seated to instead sit properly in the cylinder and eliminate the much greater possibility of the firing pin not hitting the primer.

Although this may seem impractical compared to a typical revolver (such as .357 Magnum variant or .44 Magnum variant) that can load single rimmed rounds just fine, there are two advantages that come to mind.

1. You effectively are always using a "speedloader", so reload times are quicker than handloading each individual cartridge.

2. You have the ability to utilize bullets that pretty much only go in semi-automatic firearms, such as 9x19mm Parabellum (an extremely common caliber). Yes, 9x19mm revolvers do exist.

Edit: I just thought of another minor benefit. When you empty the cylinder of spent casings, they'll all be together in the moon clip. This allows for easier retrieval/cleanup...especially in a hurry.

Bingo. The "moon clips" allow the rounds without a rim (hence, rimless) that would otherwise not be properly seated to instead sit properly in the cylinder and eliminate the much greater possibility of the firing pin not hitting the primer.

Although this may seem impractical compared to a typical revolver (such as .357 Magnum variant or .44 Magnum variant) that can load single rimmed rounds just fine, there are two advantages that come to mind.

1. You effectively are always using a "speedloader", so reload times are quicker than handloading each individual cartridge.

2. You have the ability to utilize bullets that pretty much only go in semi-automatic firearms, such as 9x19mm Parabellum (an extremely common caliber). Yes, 9x19mm revolvers do exist.

Edit: I just thought of another minor benefit. When you empty the cylinder of spent casings, they'll all be together in the moon clip. This allows for easier retrieval/cleanup...especially in a hurry.

my dad fairly recently got a Ruger LCR in 9mm.   He has a pretty thorough collection of LCRs, and that may be his least favorite.   practical, but he likes his .38 better, and looks forward to trying out the .327 Federal. 

Here's another out of production one that's pretty interesting. It's an M1 Garand modified to fire .458 Winchester Magnum.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/06/oood-mccann-industries-458-win-mag-garand/

THere is a regional gunsmith who builds those, iirc.   I think it belongs on someone else's shoulder!   Though one in .375 H&H or an equivalent...

What are the risks involved with rapidly firing a revolver loaded with multiple calibers?

5340244.jpg

The Smith and Wesson 460V (shown above) is primarily chambered for .460 S&W Magnum, but it can also load and fire .454 Casull plus .45 Long Colt.

Assuming you filled it with alternating calibers (one .460 S&W Magnum, one .45 Long Colt, one .454 Casull, one .460 S&W Magnum, and one .45 Long Colt), would the firearm likely suffer a malfunction as it cycled through the various rounds?

I would imagine that there would be a small trade off in tolerances when firing the smaller rounds that could leave more barrel deposits. And these might eventually increase the chance for a jam/misfire when firing the larger rounds.  But regular cleaning should eliminate any such risk. I doubt the manufacturer would certify it for all 3 rounds if that wasn't the case.

Reminds me of the cautionary tale I heard about .40 caliber semi-auto pistols.  The magazines will usually accept 9mm rounds and attempt to fire them.

HM

Except for eventual powder deposit and deposits on the front part of the cylinder there shouldn't be any problem if you switch the three different rounds in that chamber you can also do three or four different rounds in the 327 Federal chamber that are shorter and less powerful. The biggest problem would be user expectations, different recoil levels and such. The revolvers don't rely on the cartridge for operation, so that is one small ad vantage they have. Except maybe the oddball webley autorevolver, iirc the webley fosbury or some such.