Favorite All Time Hero/Villian/Group

Jared Rann

OK, since I started the thread on favorite type of character to play, thought it would be fun to see who everyones favorites are when it comes to comics. If your favorite is a character is one you made up yourself, please feel free to talk about them. If you feel like listing each of your favorites, by all means do so.

My favorites, well I lived on the Avengers, individual would have to be the Vision. As far as a villian, guess that would have to be the Asorbing Man.

Re: Favorite All Time Hero/Villian/Group

Comic books? Probably Legion of Superheroes, Justice League, Fantastic Four, The Avengers, and The Defenders. Honorable mention to the New Warriors and Teen Titans. Individual characters, Green Lantern, Superman, the Hulk, Doctor Strange, Spiderman.

Self created? Flesh Gordon, Style, the Master, the Iron Granny, the Five, the Defilers, the New Circle.

Favorite Hero: Nightcrawler, hands down.

Wonder Woman and The Flash (Wally West) are tied for second.

The Hulk, Green Arrow (Ollie, though I like Connor too), Dardevil, Beast Boy, Ms Marvel, Invincible, Spider-man... god, the list just goes on and on. It really depends on my mood. In the end, there few super heroes I don't like when they are written well.

Favorite villain: This is SO much harder to choose. I like Mimic and the Super Skrull quite a bit just cause I like the concept (Super Adaptoid and Amazo not so much)

Juggernaut, Bullseye, Magneto, Dr Doom... I have a fondness for Omega Red, even if most of his appearances have been pretty lame.

DC side I think Black Adam is my favorite.

Favorite Hero Team: The original Excalibur team.

I've also enjoyed various incarnations of the X-men, Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

Honorable mention to Dynamo 5, which is only on issue 4 right now but which has a GREAT group origin story.

Favorite Villian Team: The Rogues

Favorite Comic Book villain is tricky, but, remembering that this list refers to the comic book versions only:

Namor, Doctor Doom, Baron Mordo, Sinestro, Lex Luthor, the Mandarin.

Always had a weakness for villains who thought they had legitimate grievances or causes.

Gold Medal Favorite Hero: The Thing, aka Bashful Benjy, the Living Legend, the Ever-Loving Blue Eyed Idol of Millions, Aunt Petunia’s favorite nephew

Silver Medal: The Flash, esp. Wally West though I love Barry and Jay, too.

Runners up, in no particular order: Spider-Man, Green Arrow, The rest of the FF, Iceman, Cyclops, Martian Manhunter, Guy Gardner: GL, Mr. Miracle

Gold Medal Group: The Justice League International, Giffen and DeMatteis at their finest, Beetle & Booster, baby. And the European Counterparts.

Silver Medal: The Fantastic Four, once my all time favorite, still very much beloved

Runners up: The Doom Patrol, The Metal Men, LoSH, Peter David's X-Factor, certain periods of X-Men

===

Gold Medal Favorite Villain: The Riddler, aka the Prince of Puzzles, the King of Conundrums

Silver Medal: The Joker, long my very favorite until he suffered from massive over-exposure

Runners-up, in no particular order: Dr. Octopus, The Green Goblin, Solomon Grundy, The Sandman, Captain Cold, The Juggernaut, Lex Luthor at times, Dr. Doom

Gold Medal Group: The Extremists, from the pages of JLE, the gathering of Marvel's greatest villains in one overwhelming DC group

Silver Medal: The Wrecking Crew, you gotta love a team of loudmouth bricks

Runners-up: The Rogues, Certain Legions of Doom, Sinister Six sometimes

Favorite team - no hesitation - The Legion of Superheroes. The Levitz run, pre 5 years after. I enjoyed the second reboot (the one that got rid of 5 years after), and the current one as well, but never so much as the classic legion.

Favorite character - given my favorite archtype (Martial Artist) and favorite team this one is also a no brainer - Karate Kid - Val Amorr in the white outfit with the high yellow collar. Nightwing as a close second. I also really like Captain America, Green Lantern (Hal), and Superman.

Favorite played character - Blackcat. Hands down.

Villain Team - Fatal Five was always nasty. Hellfire club were usually interesting to read.

Okay' date=' I blew my roll - who's he?[/quote']

Doctor Strange villain, first student of the Ancient One who plotted to kill his master. Always liked the sibling rivalry "I deserved to be the Sorcerer Supreme" vibe that some writers gave him.

Also, the whole "Black Magic is just a point of view, it's perfectly safe to make deals with infernal beasts, eyaaaaaargh" thing. ;)

For Heroes, Doc Samson. When he is not being humiliated by the writer, he is an awesome blend of brains and brawn. Despite being played for laughs now, back in the day he was listed in Marvel's top 10 strongest heroes (listed as having the strength of the Hulk while calm) and at one point was even offered leadership of his own Avengers team (Avengers 252).

For Villain groups there is one that stood out to me as the scariest. The Fourth incarnation of the Masters of Evil. Almost every member had super strength. They were brutal and savage and have credit for actually killing Hercules (well as dead as an Olympian can be, Avengers 274).

Baron Helmut Zemo

Absorbing Man

Goliath

Blackout

Black Mamba

Fixer

Grey Gargoyle

Mister Hyde

Moonstone

Screaming Mimi

Tiger Shark

Titania

Whirlwind

The Wrecking Crew

-Bulldozer

-Piledriver

-Thunderball

-Wrecker

Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara)

For Hero Groups, my favorite has become the Exiles. I love that the group is made up of secondary and less mainstream characters.

For Villains, Thanos will always be the baddest of bad.

For heroes, I guess my all-time favorite would have to be Nova - from the first series, not any of the later versions. Honorable mentions would include Cyclops, Wonder Man, Flash (Barry Allan), and the Human Torch.

Favorite teams: the Avengers, from the good ol' days. And the original Thunderbolts up through when Hawkeye was on the team. Utterly detest the current versions of both teams now. Current teams: I like Exiles quite a bit, and the JSA has always been a group I've consistently enjoyed through the years.

Favorite villains: Ultron and Kang - obviously from my days as an Avengers fan.

Yes, that bunch was quite scary, Like Log said, you gotta love the Wrecking Crew and their big mouths. My group is about to face them for the first time, at least my rendition of them. Would love to throw the entire Masters of Evil at them but they're not strong enough to face them, nor am I that mean, not yet anyway.

This is the kind of topic that will bring an avowed lurker like me out of the shadows!

Favorite Hero: It's tough to choose, but I think if I had to pick, I'd go with the Thing. Something about Benjamin J. Grimm has always interested me, even as a small child. I still love my old Marvel Two-in-One comics.

A very close second would be Captain Marvel (of Shazam fame.) I still remember getting the 100 page specials and reading them over and over. I haven't read any of the "Trials of Shazam", so I have no idea what's going on with the character these days.

Favorite Villain: For villain, I think I'd pick Dr. Doom. When written well, he's absolutely the best. Whenever I see Doom appear in a comic, I have this mental "Oh, crap" reaction.

Favorite Hero Group: This is even harder. Obviously I'm a fan of the Fantastic Four. But I've actually always liked DC better than Marvel. In close running would be the original Legion of Super-Heroes before all the rebooting started.

Another hero group I've always loved is the Justice Society. One of the things I remember looking forward to as a young comic reader was the annual JLA/JSA team-up stories. No matter if I was reading Justice League or not, I'd always get the issues where the Justice Society would appear.

Yet another hero group that I'd have to consider as my favorite are the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents by the late, great Wally Wood.

Good times..

Favourite hero would be Phoenix: The Protector. No, I kid. Captain Comet, but the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter is close, and in a different vein, She-Hulk. Or Doc Samson, who deserves more respect. Heck, Toronto deserves more respect than Doc Samson gets.

Favourite villain: oh, come on, who dares defy Darkseid? That Thanos M. S. Titan [guess what his middle initials stand for... no, just guess!] even comes close is testimony to the pure genius of this creation.

Favourite superteam: X-Men, through all their ups and downs (all, I say, all. Marrow? La la la, I can't hear you.). This is just the best single distillation of what a teenagers buy comics for, and comics are for the inner teenager --outer teenagers should have a steady diet of uplifting, moral literature until they're old and dried up like me. Serves 'em right for being young. But the Forever People would have to come close.

Favourite supervillain team? Before the GLA, before Xykon, the Frightful Four were always hiring! See, there's only three of us and we have a match with the FF in fifteen minutes.... and anybody with flight discs and superglue guns gets my respect. Um, why are you guys committing crimes to get rich, again?

Favorite Hero: Spider-Man. Those wavy black lines coming off his head? That's pent-up awesomeness, even he can't contain just how awesome he is and has to let it off like steam sometimes.

Runners-up: Thing, Captain America, Iron Man.

Favorite Hero Team: Justice Society of America and the Avengers, toss up.

Runner-up: 70's-mid 80's X-men, with or without Kitty/Rogue, but before the full "third wave" of characters like Bishop and Gambit.

Favorite Villain: Dr. Doom. The archetype that's hard to beat. Essentially just a man, but a man capable of taking on the world. Swings between petty personal vengeance and cosmic ambitions without seeming contradictory.

Runners-up: Hobgoblin (the long cape is just cooler), Joker, Dormammu, Beetle, Porcupine, the Ventriloquist, Trapster, Terminator back in the old Teen Titan days, various others as the mood strikes.

Favorite Villain Group: Various lineups of various groups are fun, depending on the story. My impulse answer would be the Sinister Syndicate. Partly due to being led by Beetle, partly because a lot of how I envision a villain group operating.

Runners-up: Serpent Society. Great theme-villain group. Various Masters of Evil lineups. Frightful Four. Fearsome Five from Teen Titans. I also enjoyed the various Fixer/Mentallo teamups they used to do.

For Heroes' date=' [b']Doc Samson[/b]. When he is not being humiliated by the writer...

Yeah I kind of liked him when he got his new costume, and had his hair in a ponytail.

Heroes

Moon-Knight I can't help it, I just dig him.

Dare-Devil

Batman

Are probably top 3 in my book. Honorable mention the Captain Marvel (Kree Warrior fame) Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), Captain Britain, and Hawksmoore from The Authority (I know, I can't help it I'm weak)

Hero Groups

Excalibur before they went dimension hopping

New Titans

Honorable mention to LSH before the reboots.

Villains

The Terminator (Titans villain)

Taskmaster I hate how the writer portray this guy. He has the skills of Captain America, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Moon Knight, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird, to name a few. He should be able to kick anyone's butt in a straight up fight, but the writers treat him like a punk b****.

Dr. Doom

Honorable mention goes to Bullseye, Trigon (Raven's from the New Titans father), and Ra's Al Ghoul.

Villain Teams

Fatal Five (with Validus)

Hellfire Club

Those who are familiar with me (or at least see my screen name and avatar) will not be surprised by my choice of favorite hero...

Seriously, though - Spider-Man is in a league of his own, as far as I'm concerned. While I read a lot of other comics, and have a lot of other heroes whom I enjoy, none of them can even come close to my love of the webslinging wonder. He's the superhero I empathize with the most (like myself, he was geeky child prodigy, particularly in the sciences; who was picked on by bullies, had an elderly aunt as a parental figure, masked his worries with humor, and shared my first name - not to mention the fact that I love spiders), and he's really a stand-up guy with very well-developed morals. That isn't to say I can't enjoy darker heroes, but Spidey is a guy who has to make the hard decisions and you can still look up to him.

(Spider-man 2099 scoots in on his namesake's coattails. I really like him too - Peter David did a great job on his comic, and he's a fine successor to the Parker legacy.)

Thusly, my entire view of superheroes is though a Spider-Man lens.

That being said, my views are very byassed. I'll give my favorites from the perspective of Spidey comics first.

Favorite Spidey villains:

1) Doctor Octopus. His name alone was enough to get me to love him when I was a kid (octopuses, frogs, lizards and spiders being my favorite animals). He really opitomizes what a Spidey villain should be in my mind - stuffy, psycho megalomaniac who's an example of "science gone wrong", providing a great foil for the responsible, wisecracking Peter. He's a total jerk without being overly Iron-Agey and brutal, and he's a great straight man.

2) Green Goblin (Norman Osborn version). The phrase "This time, it's personal" was practically coined by this guy. He's a credible threat to Spidey on his worst day, an absolute nutbag (but an absolute nutbag with laser-like focus), and he reaaaallly knows how to put the screws to Peter. Other villains might be more physically powerful, but the Goblin is the master at getting to the man behind the mask - noone else has affected Peter more personally. His stories are always good for bringing out the "unstoppable juggernaut of willpower and determination" elements of Spidey's character I enjoy reading about.

3) Lizard. Another great villain in the "science gone wrong" vein, and one with a twist - he's a really nice guy when he's not scaly. With that, there's an interesting duality to his character - he could be helping Spidey cure Aunt May's radiation poisoning as Curt Connors, or on a rampage when he transforms. Plus the fact that he's a lizard helps. Lizards are cool.

4) JJJ. How can you not love the guy! A guy with a heart of coal - buried within that coal is a tiny core of gold, and within the gold is more coal. Spidey comics aren't the same without his bluster, and J.K. Simmons absolutely stole the show in the movies (partially due to his spot-on performance).

Honorable mentions include Scorpion, Beetle, Kingpin, Rhino, Electro, and the original Hobgoblin.

Looking outside the Spider-Verse:

Favorite heroes (in no particular order):

1) Daredevil. Got a lot of exposure to him through Spidey, and he grew on me. Great character with a strong moral code (though he's a lot darker than Spidey, which is a nice contrast), and he's very down-to-earth.

2) Batman. As long as he's not in "Batgod" mode, he's cool as heck. The pinnacle of presence, the empitome of intellect, the guru of gadgets. There's something very awesome about a guy who squints slightly, and sends goons running in tears. The Batman in my head is the Batman from the animated DCU: he's an absolute rock of willpower and resourcefulness, but he's not totally dark and humorless - every once in a while, you see a side that's a little softer. He's got a sense of humor, too.

3) Flash. I've never really got into his comics (no offense to lovers of the Scarlet Speedster), but if I could only have a single superpower, superspeed would be my first choice without hesitation. I love the concept of speed in general in a very visceral fashion, and this guy is speed.

4) The Tick. He's too funny not to love.

5) Leonardo (of the TMNT). I've always enoyed the TMNT comics (the original Eastman/Laird series, and the newer Laird comics which are a continuation and are very much in the same vein), and Leo is my favorite of the four brothers by a narrow margin. A ninja's ninja, with peerless skill and unshakeable focus and drive.

Honorable mentions: The ever-lovin' blue-eyed Thing, Iron fist, Nightcrawler, Animal Man, Conan, and Ghost Rider.

Favorite villains:

1) Doctor Doom. A supervillain's supervillain. Like Lex Luthor, but with more style (and magic). He's got it all, and he's got a ironclad code of honor. Twisted, but still with a tiny spark of decency.

2) The Joker. Totally friggin' crazy, utterly psychotic, and (at least in the animated DCU that I love so much) absolutely hilarious.

3) Darkseid. Really, the ultimate bad#$%. If this guy can give Superman trouble, you know he's epic. Thanos gets part marks for being his brotha-from-anotha-motha.

Favorite groups:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. For those of you whose sole impression of them is from the cartoon from the early 90's, you have my condolences. Their original series, and the current series penned by Peter Laird, are wonderful. The turtles have very detailed characterization and their interaction with other characters is often very complex, the stories are varied and interesting, and the fights are pretty sweet.

2) Fantastic Four. The world's greatest super-family. They helped usher in Marvel comics, and the characters are so iconic. Find me one person who actively dislikes the Thing (my favorite brick, personality-wise), and I'll eat my cap. Reed out-sciences anyone, and I love the squabbling kids/best pals dynamic between Spidey and the Torch. I'll say it yet again - read Dan Slott's "Spider-Man/Human Torch" miniseries! Now! Hilarious and heartwarming. If more comic books were like this series, the industry would be unstoppable.

3) The Avengers. So many icons together in one place. So much history. So many epic battles. What's not to like?

4) The Justice League. Like the Avengers, only more so (though I prefer the feel of the Avengers personalities and relationships, I admit I've never followed DC that deeply - so feel free to disagree!). Any team with Supes, Bats, and WW would be awesome even without dozens of other world-shakers.

Favorite Hero Group: The Doom Patrol. Wierd, wacky, and perennially overmatched and outclassed, these guys saved us from The Quiz (he has every superpower you never thought of) and the Scissormen.

Favorite Villain Group: Hydra and The Serpent Society. Got to love the fanatical wierdos yelling out 'cut off one limb....'etc. And snakes really creep me out.

Favorite Heroes: Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), Captain Marvel (Batson), Colossus, the Beast, Hyperion (not the new one), Captain America, Frogman, Demolition Dumphy, Hawkeye, Nightwing, Green Lantern (Alan Scott), Bronze Tiger, The Thing, Captain Ultra, Giantman II (Bill Foster), Nova, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Majestic, Apollo,

Heroines: Thundra, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, Batgirl (Barbara Gordon), Mockingbird, Black Canary, Powergirl, Wonder Woman, Big Barda, Cuckoo, Argent, Tigra, Black Widow, Jesse Quick, Engineer II, Voodoo

Teams: Avengers, Justice Society, Justice League, Legion, New Warriors, Thunderbolts (first incarnation), Stormwatch

Villains: Dr Doom, Juggernaut, Absorbing man, Professor Zoom, Hellspont, The Riddler, Solomon Grundy, Count Naferia, Darkseid, Thanos, The Walrus, Kraven, The Wizard (Marvel),

Villainesses: Titania, Black Cat, Black Queen (Selene), Morgan LeFay, Poison Ivy, Circe,

Villain Teams: Masters of Evil (The one from the first thunderbolts run), Wrecking Crew, Female Furies, Frightful Four, Ufoes, Legion of Doom, Sinister Six, The Zodiac Cartel.

Heroes: Superman, Captain Marvel (the real one), Green Lantern (Alan Scott). (Memo to self: finish your GL writeup!)

Villains: Darkseid, Mister Mind, Black Adam, Solomon Grundy, the Ultra-Humanite.

Groups: the Doom Patrol (original), the Teen Titans (original), JSA (original, plus 70s add-ons), LSH (original+5 years later). Dishonourable mention: the Super Friends!

Heroes

Captain America

Batman

Wonder Woman

Spider Man

Iron Man

Villains

Doctor Doom

Per Degaton

Ronan the Accuser

Darkseid

The Key

Green Goblin

Doctor Octopus

Teams

JLA

Avengers

Please note that there are absolutely no X characters on this list. I hate mutant hysteria and everything to do with it.

All my favorite heroes are in the books JLA, JSA, and LSH.

My overall favorite hero would have to be the Flash- any that have carried that name.

My favorite anti-hero would be John Constantine.

My favorite villain group would have to be the Legion of Doom.

My favorite single villain would have to be the Riddler. (Run Riddler Run)

I guess that was all DC. For Marvel I would have to go with:

Hero team: X-Men, the original.

Favorite Hero: Moon Knight or Dr Strange (tied) with Daredevil a close second.

Villain Team: Hellfire Club

Favorite Villain: Typhoid Mary