Why do the Champions waste so much time being "good citizens?"

Guest zarglif69

Smart-alecky answer #1: Why not?

Smart-alecky answer #2: Because it's the Right Thing To Do.

Real Answer: Because it's the Right Thing To Do.

It's why Jimmy Carter "wastes time" building homes with Habitat For Humanity. It's why Jerry Lewis "wastes time" raising money for muscular dystrophy.

It's why I like to donate my time to community theater, entertaining the citizens of Corvallis or guiding children and teens through the theatrical process even though my financial return for it consists mostly of photos, momentos, and a pizza on closing night.

Real good guys aren't good 9-to-5, they're good guys 24-7.

I asked each of the Champions, this is what they said.

Defender- "Because our Job doesn't excuse us from being good citizens. Far from it, because we fight on the side of law, we have to hold ourselves to high standards. We're a part of this world, and that goes a lot further than busting heads. It was my concern for my fellow citizens that motivated me to become Defender, that and the courage the average citizen has shown in the time of crisis. It's inspiring."

Ironclad- "If there is one thing my time as a gladiator on Malva has taught me, it is that those who live only for battle are empty hungry things. As I have no 'secret identity' I am, in a sense, always on duty, but I see no shame in the sculpting of metals that I perform. Humanity should see more in other peoples of the universe than the violence they can do. Mostly, however, I do it for myself. I love to fight for a good cause, but there is room in my heart for that, and beauty and friendship as well."

Nighthawk- "Good question, I often wonder that myself. We'd get a lot more done around here if we'd worry less about public image and go with what works. On the other hand, who the hell are you to be judging? And why am I wasting time even responding to this when I could be on the streets?"

Sapphire- "Hello, I was a superstar before I was a superhero, and I'm not giving that up. Some people will never be satisfied, you'll never do enough to please them. It'll drive you loco trying soooo don't bother; just do your best. Besides, my fans could get violent if I shut down my music carreer. You thought VIPER was bad."

Witchcraft- "Yes, we could do more. However, there's a balance, or at least a need for some balance, in things. Some of us have made mistakes, or have some evil in our past. Rectifying that isn't just about beating evil, it's about being good yourself."

Kinetik- "Hellooo, A brother in tights here, not as rare as it was, but that doesn't mean I can just slack off. African Americans, especially the kids, need a role model, positive rolemodels. Now,I'm not going to throw myself in their face about it, but I AM going to do more than get my rocks off trashing thugs at 50 plus m.p.h. Besides, I do have to eat and I don't charge for heroing so I need a job in the big S.I.D. Who's going to pay my rent? You?"

Originally posted by Enforcer84

I didn't know Hermit was on such good terms with the Champions... could you get me Witchcraft's autograph?:)

Sure, just send $25 dollars to an address I'll be PMing you soon and make the check out to...

What's that, Darren? Seeking to profit from DoJ's copyrights is a crime you say? *cough* uhm, it was all going to charity I swear...

(drat, never do these deals in an open forum)

• 5 years later...

Re: Why do the Champions waste so much time being "good citizens?"

Also: the better public face a group of heroes has, the better off they are when the public turns against them or some group tries to smear them in the press or with advertisements. Sure, Viper can run anti-Champions ads, but the people will say "yeah, but they worked to rebuild my home after that meteor shower" and stuff like that.

And, if you're a hero your driving purpose is to help people and do good, which includes helping people when they are in need. The same thing that motivates you to be a hero rather than a thug that happens only to beat up on bad guys is what makes you want to do community service, help out those in need, and be a positive influence on your community.

Also: the better public face a group of heroes has, the better off they are when the public turns against them or some group tries to smear them in the press or with advertisements. Sure, Viper can run anti-Champions ads, but the people will say "yeah, but they worked to rebuild my home after that meteor shower" and stuff like that.

And, if you're a hero your driving purpose is to help people and do good, which includes helping people when they are in need. The same thing that motivates you to be a hero rather than a thug that happens only to beat up on bad guys is what makes you want to do community service, help out those in need, and be a positive influence on your community.

Amen brudda!

As CTaylor said. What else are you going to do?

Once you've helped people by stopping whatever it was the GM threw down on this night, how can you not go out and help people when the dangers, while maybe not so nasty, are still as harmful to the innocents.

It's why Superman stops to rescue cats from trees. That's as emotionaly harmful to the young child crying at the trees base, as standing near Doomsday would be physically dangerous.

Well even Dark Champions characters (in the sense of street level supers) can do good deeds and be heroes outside of clobbering/shooting the bad guys. The "Dark" in dark Champions isn't necessarily a moral judgment or an indicator of the only mood possible Batman: The Animated Series is much as a street level game as The Punisher just like the Superfriends is as much as an example of high end Champions as The Authority.

There's a difference between say the 60's Superman who'd take time out to rescue kittens from trees and the 70's / 80's Superman who had 'causes' like digging water wells, replanting forests etc. But it's a difference of degree, not intent.

Nonbody questions that the firefighters and rescue crews who were still climbing the twin towers and working to get people out even as they collapsed, count as heroes.

So to me, a decent definition of a "hero" is that a "hero" will help others when he/she does not need to. When there is no personal gain other than the satisfaction of having done thier best or having done so in defiance of all logic or even the call of self preservation.

Thus they can't just sit around waiting for the bad guys to do something nasty. They have to help prevent, not just clean up afterwards.

You might ask another question: Why don't the Champions do more good?

Why do they spend so much of their time dealing with crime when they really ought to combating larger issues?

global education

global environmental issues

global poverty

inequality

war

homelessness

hopelessness

mental illness

hunger

extremism

discrimination

Of course you then run into problems of cultural imperialism, intolerance, and moral ambiguity.

Should the Champions work for regime change in democratically elected governments that support terrorism?

What happens when one of them is Pro Life and another is Pro Choice?

Should they work to eliminate weapons of mass destruction -- all of them -- from the world?

What should they do about the people who have always hunted whales and can't understand why others want them to stop?

When the poor in a poor country burn down a foreign-owned superstore because it is destroying their ability to run their traditional business, who should the Champions champion?

I'm not saying I'd like to run or play in campaigns that focus on these issues. Just saying that I'm not sure the Champions really do spend a lot of time being "good citizens" when you take the long view.

There's a difference between say the 60's Superman who'd take time out to rescue kittens from trees and the 70's / 80's Superman who had 'causes' like digging water wells' date=' replanting forests etc. But it's a difference of degree, not intent.[/quote']

That's right. 60's Superman would do all the stuff the 70's/80's version would do and rescue kittens as well.

The answer to the main question is: how much time do the Champions actually spend punching people? How often do aliens actually invade? How often do loonies actually try to take over the world?

Basically, they have a lot of downtime. They choose not to waste it, but to use it profitably by being "good citizens".

Except Nighthawk who spends his time trashing underworld bars, and sitting around on stakeouts eating donuts. ;)

You might ask another question: Why don't the Champions do more good?

Why do they spend so much of their time dealing with crime when they really ought to combating larger issues?

global education

global environmental issues

global poverty

inequality

war

homelessness

hopelessness

mental illness

hunger

extremism

discrimination

Of course you then run into problems of cultural imperialism, intolerance, and moral ambiguity.

Should the Champions work for regime change in democratically elected governments that support terrorism?

What happens when one of them is Pro Life and another is Pro Choice?

Should they work to eliminate weapons of mass destruction -- all of them -- from the world?

What should they do about the people who have always hunted whales and can't understand why others want them to stop?

When the poor in a poor country burn down a foreign-owned superstore because it is destroying their ability to run their traditional business, who should the Champions champion?

Mainly because the Adventures of Political Activist Man and the Socially Conscious Crew makes for dull four color funny books.

Well, that was the whole point behind The Authority: what would it be like if the "Heroes" started getting involved in issues like that. It was actually pretty good, too, for the first two trades, before the original authors quit and the series went to ****.

cheers, Mark