What were the best Marvel titles of the 70's?

FenrisUlf

Re: What were the best Marvel titles of the 70's?

In the 70's I was into Fantastic Four, Avengers, Marvel Team-up, and the Eternals, though admittedly I appreciate the Eternals more now than I did back then.

And, yes, lapsedgamer, I do remember that one. I remember that sadly my copy has black ink all over it! :(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know others have said it, but Marvel Two-in-One was my favorite. I have quite a few of them (sadly they are in "well-loved" condition meaning they have been read many many times). I also liked the comic just about him (The Thing), but the Two-in-ones were even better.

I have been a Thing fan all my life. I have figures, cars, a poster, a cardboard cut out (desk size). I liked most of the transformations he has gone through in the comics, but I cannot say I care for his looks in the new movies (yes, I know it looks more like the original lumpy Thing, but to me he looks like he has been standing too close to the Human Torch for too long).

My favorite "Thing" comic issues are him and the Sandman hanging out drinking beer.

I also used to be a huge fan of Alpha Flight, but I think that was in the 80's.

Thanks everybody for all the comics you've posted about thus far.

One question I've got concerning 70's comics at Marvel -- wasn't this also the heyday of writers having runs on an individual comic that lasted for literally years? I seem to recall that the writers on both Conan and Tomb of Dracula stayed with the title for a very long time indeed (something like what, 3-5 years?), as compared to the more modern 12-24 month runs.

Am I alone in thinking that can make a big difference in how good a story/product you get in the end, provided that the author is at least halfway competent?

You're not alone. I've also wondered whether the ability to come in, utterly ignore the stories before yours so you can add your own flavor of pee to the mix... Ahem*. I mean, whether the lack of any continuity in the overall feeling for the characters has contributed to the downfall in quality. Weak editors share some of the blame for this, but maybe writers who felt more personal commitment for the stories they write would be a good thing. Ain't gonna happen, though.

*Sorry. Just finished reading the FF TPB for Civil War, from my local library. Can't seem to get that taste out of my mouth.

Well from what I've heard' date=' Marvel no longer has the rights to use Fu Manchu in it's comics. My guess is, releasing a Master of Kung Fu collection would cause some sort of legal schmozz Marvel doesn't want to get into. Either that or they're worried it might.[/quote']

Personally, I'd love to see a relaunch of the Shang-Chi character replacing Fu Manchu with the Yellow Claw, who AFAIK Marvel still has the rights to. The Claw was obviously based on Fu Manchu anyway, and would give a hereditary explanation for Shang's skin tone. ;)

(Yes, I know the Yellow Claw apparently died in a recent storyline. As has often been remarked upon on this thread, in comics that means jack-squat.) :rolleyes:

I think my favorite Marvel Two In One (And I can't remember if this was late 70s or early 80s) had to be when the Thing, after having the #$#$ beat out of him by the Champion, is laid up in the hospital, and very vulnerable, so the superhero community decides to protect him.

More cameos than you can shake a stick at, but in the end, the Sandman slips in to Ben's room and..

hands him a beer out of friendship, and gratitude that Ben gave him the chance to go straight. To quote him "I figured everyone else would bring you flowers"

Ben's response "Sandy, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

*Sigh* of course, Sandman's good guy years would end later.. a shame.

Personally, I'd love to see a relaunch of the Shang-Chi character replacing Fu Manchu with the Yellow Claw, who AFAIK Marvel still has the rights to. The Claw was obviously based on Fu Manchu anyway, and would give a hereditary explanation for Shang's skin tone. ;)

(Yes, I know the Yellow Claw apparently died in a recent storyline. As has often been remarked upon on this thread, in comics that means jack-squat.) :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that "but what about continuity?" is the set-up to a punchline in the current Marvel Bullpen.

70's Marvel?

X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four and, without a shadow of a doubt, Howard the Duck. Even when they dumped him into the B&W run, it was always Howard. (And yes I bought Destroyer Duck and donated to the court costs)

You have no idea how much my therapy cost after the HtD movie came out.

The Warlord by DC Comics

The Brave and the Bold by DC Comics

I'm a little surprised nobody pointed this out right away... but I'm pretty sure these books were not put out by Marvel. ;)

Anyway, the only Marvel books I really paid much attention to in the 70s were Uncanny X-Men and Spider-Man, so I guess my vote would go in that direction.

Dr. Strange's heyday was the 70s and his title had some good stories in it. And if you get some of the late Strange Tales issues, you can find some very surprising writers doing one shots(Chirs Claremont, for example).

Marvel Two in One and Marvel Team Up had some great stories too.

Didn't Moon Knight first appear in the late 70s? I loved me some Moon Knight. But he may have been an 80s phenomenon.

I really liked Moon Knight back when.

Dr. Strange's heyday was the 70s and his title had some good stories in it. And if you get some of the late Strange Tales issues, you can find some very surprising writers doing one shots(Chirs Claremont, for example).

Marvel Two in One and Marvel Team Up had some great stories too.

Dr. Strange is still my favorite super...Woot! :D

You must spread x2....this is really irritating....

Super Villain Team-Up also introduced Shroud and Henry Kissinger as Marvel characters. Kissinger seems to have made more return appearances, too.

Moon Knight had a Marvel Premiere one-shot and didn't graduate to his own book until the glorious 80s. Which isn't to say that Marvel Premiere was not a great book. It and DC's Secret Origins were cool. Whatever happened to Code Name: Assassin? (I'd ask about Woodgod, but, unfortunately, I know.)

I will second Howard the Duck's place as one of the great Marvel titles of the 70s. I also liked Captain Marvel, Deathlok, Ka-Zar (flying sharks!) Killraven (although for no good reason that I can think of in retrospect) and really tried hard to like Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think so. His first appearance was in Werewolf by Night' date=' and that was a 70's title.[/quote']

He only got his first continuing comic in 1980 unless you want to count the back-up Moon Knight stories in Hulk Magazine and his guest shot.

The best Marvel titles of the '70's?

Yes. :D

While there may have been some consistent stinkers, not many that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm a definite Marvel Bronzophile - the 1970's-early-mid 1980's were some of the best comics ever IMO. I tend to get more back issues from this time period than I do new ones (especially Marvel, that I get nada of their new stuff now).

By the 1970s there was a deep enough background established without being too cluttered or convoluted yet, and it was cool for the second wave of heroes like new X-Men, Alpha Flight, Iron Fist/Power Man etc. to join up with the old guard of the FF, Spidey, Avengers and co. Toss in the new peripherals like Dracula, Shang Chi, Godzilla and such and you really have a varied sandbox available. You had the somewhat grittier edge of Bronze without the hard-core Iron yet.

It was a lovely ecosystem, shame it couldn't last. :(

Which isn't to say that Marvel Premiere was not a great book. It and DC's Secret Origins were cool. Whatever happened to Code Name: Assassin? (I'd ask about Woodgod, but, unfortunately, I know.)

Uh-oh, what happened to Woodgod? Or don't I want to know?

I vaguely recall him meeting the Hulk once more (when he'd created other animal-people), but that's it.

EDIT: And talking about great forgotten 70's Marvel characters as compared to titles, does anyone else remember Man-Wolf? I especially enjoyed the story they did where Man-Wolf was sent back to the homeworld of the Stargem and became Stargod, a cosmic-powered werewolf in a planetary romance story. Very weird but incredibly cool.

Uh-oh, what happened to Woodgod? Or don't I want to know?

I vaguely recall him meeting the Hulk once more (when he'd created other animal-people), but that's it.

EDIT: And talking about great forgotten 70's Marvel characters as compared to titles, does anyone else remember Man-Wolf? I especially enjoyed the story they did where Man-Wolf was sent back to the homeworld of the Stargem and became Stargod, a cosmic-powered werewolf in a planetary romance story. Very weird but incredibly cool.

Man-Wolf got a reshow even as Star God in some She-Hulk issues a few months ago. I even use the "I married a Man Wolf" cover as sort of wall paper for my comp :)

Man-Wolf got a reshow even as Star God in some She-Hulk issues a few months ago. I even use the "I married a Man Wolf" cover as sort of wall paper for my comp :)

Yeah, how could I forget that?

I have to get the fourth She-Hulk collection, it has those stories.

BTW, did we see what Jameson did with the Stargem? Is he still Man-Wolf or has he gone back to being human?

And while this doesn't concern strictly 70's Marvel material --

does anyone here know anything at all about some group called "The Council of Werewolves", who apparently control all werewolves in Marvel-verse North America and used to hire some guy called Deadpool to kill their enemies?

Oh yes, and since when have Marvel werewolves been immortal? (According to the recent Marvel Zombies: The Book of Angels, Demons, & Various Monstrosities, werewolves in the Marvel-verse are immortal or nearly so.)

Yeah, how could I forget that?

I have to get the fourth She-Hulk collection, it has those stories.

BTW, did we see what Jameson did with the Stargem? Is he still Man-Wolf or has he gone back to being human?

I believe he's gone back to being human by choice. I'd have to reread to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...