The Fatherless Five

OddHat

The Vampire, from a world where his kind were gods, and humans were cattle

The Machine, from a world where man had long ago been destroyed by his own creations

The Beast, from a world where New Men destroyed the Old

The Hybrid, from a world where mankind served as slaves and concubines to their Unearthly Masters

The Madman, survivor of the fall of two worlds, destroyer and champion

When a timeline collapses, sometimes there are survivors, men and women without pasts, without worlds.

The League of Infinity has faced many foes, but few so mad, so deadly, as five travelers with nothing to lose.

The Fatherless Five

Re: The Fatherless Five

The Vampire, from a world where his kind were gods, and humans were cattle

The Machine, from a world where man had long ago been destroyed by his own creations

The Beast, from a world where New Men destroyed the Old

The Hybrid, from a world where mankind served as slaves and Concubines to their Unearthly Masters.

The Madman, he survived the fall of three worlds, and seeks now to rule again

When a timeline collapses, sometimes there are survivors, men and women without pasts, without worlds.

The League of Infinity has faced many foes, but few so mad, so deadly, as five lost travelers with nothing to lose.

The Fatherless Five

Nice theme for a group!

If the Pc's ever conclusively defeat the threat...well, theres always the one responsible for all those timelines collapsing. :nonp:

All the same person from alternate timelines? :P

Yes!

I hope he does it that way. Although it's hard to see how.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it is not odd to see five men with no father, but it would be very queer to see one man with five fathers...

Well the main problem with my suggestion would be The Machine i guess- same person as all the others, but in a different timeline is responsible for the robotic takeover of humanity. Perhaps the machine was the first truly 'alive' technological entity of that timeline.

The Machine (hoping for nanites and Terminator 2 Cop look :) ) killed his maker, but made a backup of his conciousness for further study. These days when interacting with humans The Machine often emulates his creator- it hasnt quite mastered the nuances of social interaction yet.

Maybe the maker made The Machine in his own image, using his own memories a a template for the machines conciousness- well, human memorys interpreted though cold logic dont necesarily produce the same kind of response the maker was intending.

Some thoughts....

I am, so, tempted to steal this idea for a group and write them up for a future game, thanks for getting the creative juices flowing.

Definitely has potential. The only hitch I see is coming up w/ a join-up rationale that makes sense.

Almost begs for some powerful person / entity to have collected them together for reasons of their own. If you can conceive of some way to refer to such a person as "Mother", it gives "Fatherless Five" another layer of meaning as well.

With grim overtones' date=' this sounds more bronze or iron age.[/quote']

Galactus was Silver Age. :)

I agree that at first glance it looks fairly Bronze Age. It certainly isn't Golden Age! It would probably need to be toned down a bit for most Silver Age settings. The science fiction aspects are fine. Then again, they're really just another bunch of supervillains, so the "grim overtones" don't necessarily apply.

Each character concept is quite intriguing. But as Killer Shrike pointed out, it is almost impossible too imagine, why five such individuals would join forces.:king:

OddHat, you've got a lot of things to explain. Although with your capabilities I'm sure you will stand the test.:nonp:

The League of Infinity has faced many foes, but few so mad, so deadly, as five travelers with nothing to lose.

The Fatherless Five

I'm sure that they and Vitus, a lone survivor himself, would have a lot to talk about.

• 2 weeks later...

The Madman, The Survivor

ALBION

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

25 STR 15 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [2]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 11

23 CON 26 14- +4 w/ Martial Arts

25 BODY 30 14-

28 INT 18 15- PER Roll 15-

29 EGO 38 15- ECV: 10

30 PRE 20 15- PRE Attack: 6d6

10 COM 0 11-

12+9 PD 7 Total: 21 PD (9 rPD)

12+9 ED 7 Total: 21 ED (9 rED)

6 SPD 27 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

10 REC 0

46 END 0

50 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 227

Movement: Running: 9"/18"

Leaping: 7"/14"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Alchemical Immortality

Notes: For many centuries, Albion sustained himself with herbs and Sorcery; eventually, he found his strength had grown beyond the need for such.

5 1) Walk Forever: Life Support (Longevity: Immortal)

24 2) Never Rest: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 ¼), Self Only (-½)

20 3) The Gift of Tongues: Universal Translator 15-

Notes: Millennia of travel and study, together with sorcerously enhanced intellect, have left Albion with the ability to comprehend virtually all forms of language.

Veteran of a thousand battles

Notes: Albion has been constantly in the thick of combat for many thousands of years. Somehow, he has come through it all.

18 1) Fortune's Favorite: Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

24 2) And Still I Live!: Luck 6d6 (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only to survive and escape; -¼)

6 3) Inhuman Quickness: Running +3" (9" total) 1

7 4) Inhuman Quickness: Leaping +2" (7" forward, 3 ½" upward) (Accurate) 1

Sorcerer’s Legacy

22 1) To See Beyond: Detect Magic, Spirits, and the Supernatural 15- (Mystic Group), Perceive into the Spirit Realms, Range, Sense

13 2) Survivor: Mental Defense (15 points total), Hardened (+¼) (13 Active Points)

19 3) Veteran of the Darkest Wars: Power Defense (15 points), Hardened (+¼) (19 Active Points)

11 4) You have no idea what I've seen: Damage Resistance (9 Mental Def./9 Power Def.), Hardened (+¼) (11 Active Points)

28 Black Metal Sword Cane: Multipower, 56-point reserve, (56 Active Points); all slots OAF (Black Sword Cane; -1)

2u 1) Cane Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Affects Desolidified Ghosts and Spirits (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Penetrating (+½) (45 Active Points); OAF (Black Sword Cane; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½)

Notes: 13d6 w/ Thrust::15d6 w/ Slash::12d6 w/ Trip

3u 2) Black Metal Blade: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Affects Desolidified One Special Effect of Desolidification (Ghosts and Spirits; +¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Penetrating (+½) (56 Active Points); OAF (Black Sword Cane; -1)

Notes: 3d6 w/ Thrust::4d6-1 w/ Slash::3d6-1 w/ Trip

Savate and Fencing

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Thrust / Straight Punch / Low Kick +2 +0 9d6 Strike

5 Slash / Hook / Side Kick -2 +1 11d6 Strike

4 Parry / Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 45 STR to Disarm

3 Trip +2 -1 8d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Void -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

2 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Empty Hand

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

2 Reputation: One Time Sorcerer King of Lost Albion (The Mystic World) 11-, +2/+2d6

50 Fallen Sorcerer King: Contact: Various Spirits, Demons, and Supernatural Entities (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3), Spirit Contact (x3) (50 Active Points) 12-

Skills

Savate, Fencing, and Long Years of War

1 1) WF: Blades

1 2) WF: Cane

3 3) Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 4) Breakfall 14-

3 5) Contortionist 14-

1 6) WF: Off Hand

10 7) Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)

5 8) Rapid Attack (HTH)

10 9) Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 10) Analyze: Combat 15-

3 11) Analyze: Style 15-

12 12) Veteran Warrior: +4 with Martial Maneuvers

15 13) Defensive Fighting Style: +3 with DCV

Master Criminal

3 1) Acting 15-

3 2) Concealment 15-

3 3) Disguise 15-

3 4) Lockpicking 14-

3 5) Security Systems 15-

3 6) Stealth 14-

3 7) Streetwise 15-

3 8) High Society 15-

3 9) Mechanics 15-

3 10) Inventor 15-

3 11) Electronics 15-

3 12) Climbing 14-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Arcane And Occult Lore (3 Active Points) 15-

2 2) KS: Demon and Spirit Lore (3 Active Points) 15-

1 3) KS: Fencing (2 Active Points) 11-

1 4) KS: Herbalism And Healing-Lore (2 Active Points) 11-

2 5) KS: History (3 Active Points) 15-

1 6) KS: Military History (2 Active Points) 11-

2 7) KS: Planar Lore (3 Active Points) 15-

1 8) KS: Savate (2 Active Points) 11-

1 9) KS: Weapons (2 Active Points) 11-

Sorcerer King

Notes: Albion's social skills are optimized for dealing with Spirits and Demons, and gain a +2 when dealing with such entities. When dealing with humans, they're at -1.

3 1) Analyze: Magic 15-

3 2) Bribery (Spirits and Demons) 15-

3 3) Seduction (Spirits and Demons) 15-

3 4) Persuasion (Spirits and Demons) 15-

3 5) SS: Alchemy 15-

3 6) Power: Theurgy 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 428

Total Cost: 655

500+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Albino with odd, Eurasian features (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Hunted: Powerful Demons, Spirits, and Occult Enemies 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: Law Enforcement and their allies 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: The White Lady 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Psychological Limitation: Arrogant, Self Centered, Vain, Vengeful (Very Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Wishes to see himself as Noble (Very Common, Strong)

Notes: May show mercy to the helpless, respects "noble" and Heroic enemies, swayed by shows of respect or genuine kindness, keeps his freely given word

10 Psychological Limitation: Guilt, Self Loathing, Bitterness, Moodiness, Ennui (Common, Moderate)

15 Enraged: In Combat, if Insulted, if Betrayed (Very Common), go 8-, recover 14-

25 All is Ashes: Unluck: 5d6

Notes: People Albion loves are doomed; Causes he cares for will fail or be corrupted; his plans will end in disaster, even if they destroy his enemies.

5 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 655

Background/History: "Atop white cliffs stood a city. The city ruled an Empire, and was ruled by a Sorcerer King." The story changes each time he tells it, but the essentials are the same. A declining city, a war among the gods, the deaths of empires and worlds, and through it all the outcast and the sword. Most think him mad; now, he rarely tells the tale.

Through worlds he wandered, carried and tormented by mercurial fates and old, mad gods. When he loved, he lost; when he believed, he was betrayed. Always his white skin and unpredictable nature marked him as a dangerous outsider. His most recent and beloved home, before the end, was the city of Paris, in the nation of France. There he spent half a hundred years, drinking in beauty, amusing himself by making victims of the rich and foolish, dueling with worthy adversaries. Briefly he even stood as a Hero of the Nation, in the service of the government of France and in the company of men quite as unusual as himself. Then the nation fell, and soon the world.

Albion refers to the being that rescued him on that last day as The White Lady, and speaks of himself, and the others She has gathered, as her thralls. Her reasons, and his own for following Her, remain unknown.

Personality/Motivation: Despite his extraordinary age, Albion is best described as an angry teen. Self aggrandizing and self hating, easily bored and easily angered, Albion's pretensions of nobility and honor cover an essential nihilism. His crimes and grand plots may stem from boredom, a desire for revenge, or even the pleasure he takes in dueling with a worthy adversary. His many dealings with powerful Supernatural entities themselves may force him to find some way to appease them, no matter what the cost.

Quote: I would deal with you as you deserve, but then I'd get blood on my cuffs.

Powers/Tactics: Albion's primary powers are his alchemical immortality, occult good luck, magical sword cane, and arcane skill. To this he adds centuries of combat experience and the skills of a master criminal and mage.

A true Immortal, Albion is difficult to permanently kill, recovering eventually from most harm short of the total destruction of his physical form. He has an instinctive understanding of language, and has fought in more battles than he can recall. His fighting style resembles a mix of Savate and fencing, but also incorporates his experience with far older systems and his remarkable speed and luck in battle. He prefers direct confrontation with a single worthy opponent, and will often toy with a foe, fighting defensively so long as the battle remains interesting. When enraged, the game playing ends, and he will attempt to kill his foe. If overwhelmed, Albion will retreat, and then use his ability to call on spirits and demons to gather whatever forces he needs to overwhelm the enemy.

Albion is also a sorcerer of sorts. His form of magic involves making pacts with a wide variety of spirits, demons, and occult entities in exchange for favors or gifts. He does not control these entities as such; instead, he contacts them (through a ritual or as determined by the GM), begs for or demands assistance, and offers the entity something it desires in return. In the past, he has obtained gifts of magical weapons, a boat that sailed on land and sea, advice and information, and even the aid of powerful creatures in his assaults on his enemies. Albion avoids using this ability when he can; sometimes, the price is beyond his willingness to pay, and the forces called up beyond his ability to control.

Campaign Use: Albion makes a reasonable master villain when put up against a party of lower powered beginning heroes, and his power level can be adjusted for anything from a Pulp game to a Galactic Champions campaign. As presented, he is perhaps the most sympathetic of the Fatherless Five, a master criminal and competent martial artist with several twists, and (through his contacts) a source of arcane muscle.

This character comes out of an idea proposed by Alan Moore based on the comments of Michael Moorcock. Moorcock was a fan of the character Zenith the Albino (created by Anthony Skene), and used that character as the inspiration for his own Elric. Moore then suggested, (in LoEG: The Black Dossier) that England was once Melnibone, and Zenith and Elric were perhaps the same character, whether through reincarnation or some other form of immortality. I liked the idea, as well as the French version of the LoEG, and wanted to bring it into my WWII game. And so here we are, with Albion.

To use Albion in a Pulp or low powered game, drop his characteristics and DCs down until he's a challenge for your campaign's top tier martial artists, eliminate the regeneration, and play down or drop his magical side. For a high powered game, boost his defenses, and give him a full Sorcery VPP.

Appearance: The color of a bleached skull, his flesh, his long hair milk white, from the tapering, beautiful head, two slanted eyes, red. His clothing is that of the latest styles, immaculate, and a black cane is never far from his side.

Character by Robert Dorf, 2008

If the Pc's ever conclusively defeat the threat...well' date=' theres always the one responsible for all those timelines collapsing. [/quote']

I had an idea about that. There's a small group of cosmic entities who, when they find a timeline/world that has decayed too far to be restored and threatens to corrupt others, isolate and slice away that timeline from the rest of the multiverse like a cancerous tumor. (Entities like the Edomites are too powerful and can bypass such protection.) But for every act of preservation, the scales try to balance themselves. A rogue entity seeks power for itself and from every world that cut from the fabric of reality it recruits one resident to further its own agenda. They work together because they are commanded to despite their own egos and desires.

As soon as I read: " Alchemical Immortality

Notes: For many centuries, Albion sustained himself with herbs and Sorcery; eventually, he found his strength had grown beyond the need for such..." I thought to myself, sounds like Elric. One of my favorite characters.

Nice work OddHat. :thumbup:

As soon as I read: " Alchemical Immortality

Notes: For many centuries, Albion sustained himself with herbs and Sorcery; eventually, he found his strength had grown beyond the need for such..." I thought to myself, sounds like Elric. One of my favorite characters.

Nice work OddHat. :thumbup:

Thanks. :)