Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Umm.. "Small shield of guaranteed pure pork sausage" I think.

Ok, that made me laugh! It's nothing to do with shileds, but is actually short for "Saussicon de Targe" or Sausage from Targe: the old name for an area around Lyon. And yeah, 30 € per kilo is pretty steep, but I'm assuming it's hand-made gourmet sausage, made from free range pigs fed on the fine herbs of provence and air-dried ... or something. That'd match the upper level of text which says "Nothing but the best". The French take their food seriously, in case you hadn't noticed.

And thinking about it, I bought three sausages from the amusing French guy at the big Christmas market here (after getting a waffer-thin slice of about 16 different types to try) and probably paid about 30 dollars for around a kilo. Tat might sound expensive, but these are hard salami-style sausages, not something you drop into a pan with two eggs. So what I have been doing is slicing them thinly and serving them as snacks prior to dinner or slicing them thinly and adding them to meals to give an extra zing - so far after making three big dinners for friends, and two dinners for me, I have about a third left. So as a nice treat, the cost works out about 2-3 dollars per dinner. Not really exorbitant.

cheers, Mark

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

On one scout camp-out our patrol was cooking an entire pound of bacon on a brand-new cast aluminum griddle. Needless to say' date=' the thing was brimming with bacon grease. Add to that a faulty casting: there must have been bubbles or other serious flaws in the griddle, because the corner sagged and dropped into the fire. The resultant fireball (an entire pound's worth of bacon grease in one gush!) scattered everyone and singed clothes (not, of course, that anyone cared about that) and cost us the bacon that was to have been part of dinner.[/quote']Tragic loss of bacon. Tragic.

• 2 weeks later...