Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I remember as a teenager (i.e.: 50 years ago) reading a book of French recipes and thinking, "Man, this is just cooking together whatever random couple of s**t things you happen to have in your kitchen at that moment and calling it a recipe."  Which is sort of what I think about that whatever-it-is burger with Oreos two posts above.

On the 30 pounds of pumpkin...I do like watching a pro work, to be sure.  Most of those look quite interesting.

If you wanna try them?  Don't discard those seeds.  The stringy gunk is fairly easy to separate off just under running water..that, I discard.  But the seeds themselves...drain well, then toss with olive oil, salt, and seasonings...garlic and pepper (black, chile, sweet paprika), or pumpkin pie spice.  Toast in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  Single layer in the pan please, and you'll probably want to mix them to get more even cooking.  You should see the color change.  Take out, let cool, and enjoy.

I usually use a sugar pumpkin which isn't terribly big;  I get maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup.  They don't last. :)

MMmmmm...chile powder, garlic, salt, cumin, perhaps oregano?  How close am I?

I might have to double check if there's any pie pumpkins left around.  They don't last.  Butternut makes for a fairly good alternative, but you don't get near the amount of seeds.  

Oh, and if you peel your butternut...it's practical to do this...either use gloves or be prepared to wash your hands *a couple times* to get them really clean.  Alternately, I like doing that part before my shower...takes a while to cook in any case, right?    You need to grip the raw, moist, alkaline flesh, and it doesn't remove that easily.  BTW:  even more true with chiles, even nominally mild ones.  Capsaicin is VERY NASTY stuff if it gets into contact with sensitive skin, and hellish if you rub it into your eyes.